If we add Yannick here is what our cap space my look like

Reed83HOF

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Trent Murphy was a good (not great, but certainly disruptive, dependable, and good) player this past season and was one of the best players on the field vs. Houston. Why do Bills fans want to cut good players when they have $98 million in cap space???

Eh, he is the definition of replacement level.  He had 3 sacks before that snooze fest last game all year.  He had 4 the year before.  He is a “pass rusher” who doesn’t pass rush.  He is Chris Kelsey. You can do so much better. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Trent Murphy was a good (not great, but certainly disruptive, dependable, and good) player this past season and was one of the best players on the field vs. Houston. Why do Bills fans want to cut good players when they have $98 million in cap space???

He is not good enough and the position can be upgraded. As Beane did indicate yesterday - they will look to upgrade certain positions, but won't just sign FAs who are not part of the team with similar skill sets. He did also indicate that DE is a critical position.

Shaq and Trent are close to Yannick's numbers and Using Edmunds as more of a blitzing pass rushing LB in nickel adds someone who can easily match Zo's production if not exceed it

For those who don't want to spend on a pass rusher, where do you want us to spend money?

Lets say Jordan Phillips likely walks due to what he'll get and what we're willing to pay given investments in Star, Oliver and Harry... Hughes has a good year or two left, same with Murphy, and then we have an unproven young player in Darryl Johnson and maybe/maybe not Shaq Lawson.  If Shaq is re-signed, Murphy becomes a cut candidate.

Yannick is the move.  It just makes too much sense, both for fit, and for what our FO/Coaches prioritize. 

Edmunds and Milano are the only 3 down linebackers our defense uses.  Most of the time that "3rd linebacker spot" is occupied by an in-the-box DB. 

The secondary is likely set with the assumption we retain ERFA Wallace and FA Kevin Johnson. 

On Offense - We'll either retain Spain or potentially move Ford inside and sign a RT (the latter being unlikely).   That leaves RB and WR to spend, and we have more than enough to splash sign and keep a conservative cap approach moving forward with our own guys in mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

No. However, they were trying to get to a competitive status while starting to build through the draft. At this point, and Beane as much as said so in his presser, they don't need to add as much through free agency - certainly not in the high dollar range. Their focus will always primarily be drafting and signing their own.

With that said, I absolutley see them targeting certain positions in free agency. I just don't see them targeting top dollar free agents.

I'm not so sure.

We all know the Bills at least inquired about AB....who they knew was going to need a fat contract.

The Bills probably won't go hog wild in free agency but for a difference maker on offense, and I'm pretty sure Beane knows they need one of those, I definitely think they would open their wallet.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

No need to be sarcastic. It is just an opinion based on Beane's philosophy. It doesn't mean he won't sign a top dollar free agent if he feels that is what the team needs. I just think he would prefer to not go after the top dollar free agents.

Morse ring a bell and it happened just this past offseason making him the highest paid Center in the league

19 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I'm not so sure.

We all know the Bills at least inquired about AB....who they knew was going to need a fat contract.

The Bills probably won't go hog wild in free agency but for a difference make on offense, and I'm pretty sure Beane knows they need one of those, I definitely think they would open their wallet.

I agree Beane knows what the team needs and will do everything possible to meet those needs. And I wouldn’t rule out a top free agent signing. However, It would have to be a player (1) they believe is a critical piece and (2) is not an unreasonable financial investment. If it presents itself and they believe it is in the best interests of the team, both short term and long term, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

I just don’t see them targeting much in, as Beane put it, the deep end of the pool.

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Morse ring a bell and it happened just this past offseason making him the highest paid Center in the league

See above. I’d love Yannick, particularly at his age; however, I’m just not sure they will pay what he will demand.

Edited by billsfan1959

32 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I didn't take that as they weren't going for big fish, but rather that they don't plan on making a bunch of outside moves.

Last year they signed 19 players from outside the org.

I expect a splash or 2 with maybe a handful of value signings at most.

I took it this way as well, I watched that part of the presser 3 teams and came it with it every time. You could tell there were certain positions that he deemed critical - DE, RT & WR. When asked about WR he immediately jumped to the College all star game, East West Senior Bowl and then went to FA. He talked about Ford and RT and versatility and was non committal about him as  the RT.

He did talk about DE and needing a strong aggressive attacking front 4, he also talked about they would look for clear upgrades that are available, the preference is to sign their own if they have similar skill sets, since they know the player and there isn't much benefit in just swapping similar players out. He also made a reference that basically said we won't be going crazy in FA like we did last year, but they will target upgrades after they have their very frank discussions on the players who are trending up, trending down or plateauing.

I see DE/Edge as a position they look to upgrade. The clear 2 players who are scheduled to be UFAs are Shaq Barrett and Yannick, TB has cap space and Jax has none....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I see DE/Edge as a position they look to upgrade. The clear 2 players who are scheduled to be UFAs are Shaq Barrett and Yannick, TB has cap space and Jax has none....

I'd add Arik Armstead and Robert Quinn. Perhaps also Leonard Williams or Emmanuel Ogbah.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

For those who don't want to spend on a pass rusher, where do you want us to spend money?

Lets say Jordan Phillips likely walks due to what he'll get and what we're willing to pay given investments in Star, Oliver and Harry... Hughes has a good year or two left, same with Murphy, and then we have an unproven young player in Darryl Johnson and maybe/maybe not Shaq Lawson.  If Shaq is re-signed, Murphy becomes a cut candidate.

Yannick is the move.  It just makes too much sense, both for fit, and for what our FO/Coaches prioritize. 

Edmunds and Milano are the only 3 down linebackers our defense uses.  Most of the time that "3rd linebacker spot" is occupied by an in-the-box DB. 

The secondary is likely set with the assumption we retain ERFA Wallace and FA Kevin Johnson. 

On Offense - We'll either retain Spain or potentially move Ford inside and sign a RT (the latter being unlikely).   That leaves RB and WR to spend, and we have more than enough to splash sign and keep a conservative cap approach moving forward with our own guys in mind.

IMO, Beane was pretty clear that Jordan will be gone and it appeared that he has a very specific number in mind for Shaq Lawson,.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

he's had 4 really nice years. he's averaged 9 sacks and 3 FF a year.... Also I don't know if I want them to pay the guy or not but IMO your thinking is completely backwards if i'm paying a guy its one who's coming into the prime years of his career not a guy that's already got 6 under his belt, most likely isn't gonna get much better, and probably regress before the contract is even close to being fulfilled. 

the graphic was poor It only looked like it said 3 years, age 24.  squinting hard, draft 2016? (poor math skills) 19 - 16 = 3 ;) 

image.png

$17 Mil is low end QB Money. 

I should have added -- Spend wisely Beane -- in my first post 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

From last year's FA period -

1. Aggressive in adding offense

All eight free agent signings by the Bills were made on the offensive side of the ball. There was a clear purpose to Buffalo’s early pursuit of free agents.

“Obviously our cap was in a position where we could be aggressive in spots where we needed to be, but again try to be smart with our money,” Beane said. “Our offense, we knew where we ranked statistically, and it held us back in some games. We were looking in all areas (on offense), other than quarterback, to improve.

2. Plenty of cap room to seek upgrades

Beane acknowledged that the pro personnel department was able to cover most of their free agent checklist in this first wave of free agency. Though their main focus will begin to shift toward the 2019 NFL draft, in no way will they shy away from the right opportunity if it presents itself.

“We covered a lot of areas. You’re always greedy. You’re always saying you can try to upgrade here or there. Free agency is not over,” said Beane. “It doesn’t mean because I’m standing here that we’re done. We’re continuing to work. Someone could call in a week and say, ‘Hey we signed this other guy, do you want to trade for this guy?...if there’s a guy who comes available via cap release or trade, we’ll continue to try to find upgrades to our roster.”

Beane currently pegged Buffalo’s cap room between “the high 30s and low 40s.”

“We’ll tally it up once we’re done this week,” he said. “We still have plenty of room to maneuver, should the opportunity be there for a marquee player becomes available via trade or release.”

6. Nothing concrete on Ziggy

Beane confirmed that free agent pass rusher Ziggy Ansah did make a visit to One Bills Drive and met with Buffalo’s front office and coaches.

“We visited with Ziggy. He’s a great, young man,” said Beane. “We met with him. He’ll continue on his (visit schedule) and nothing on that front, but we enjoyed visiting with Ziggy.”

Knowing Ansah missed half the season due to a shoulder injury, the visit was likely a due diligence effort with respect to the pass rusher’s physical health first and foremost.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/gm-brandon-beane-s-6-opinions-on-the-bills-2019-free-agent-class-thus-far

You use free agency to help you so you’re not going to the Draft in April with all these holes, and now you’re drafting for need.”

“We’ve got cap room, and we’re going to use it to fill some holes.” He added, “But we’ve also got to be wise with our money so that when these guys (veterans) are headed into years three and four (Tre’Davious, Matt Milano, that class) when they come up, we have money to spend.”

“It’s a matter of balancing the draft and free agency.”  Schoen understands the risks of free agency and how it could hinder long-term draft selections, stating, “Until we can pay some of our own young players that are homegrown, you have to be very careful who you’re paying from the outside and bringing into your locker room.”

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/25/buffalo-bills-bradon-beane-nfl-2019-draft-free-agency/

We looked last off season at pass rusher as well and last year the draft was a good DL/DE draft; this year not so much...

11 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I agree Beane knows what the team needs and will do everything possible to meet those needs. And I wouldn’t rule out a top free agent signing. However, It would have to be a player (1) they believe is a critical piece and (2) is not an unreasonable financial investment. If it presents itself and they believe it is in the best interests of the team, both short term and long term, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

I just don’t see them targeting much in, as Beane put it, the deep end of the pool.

See above. I’d love Yannick, particularly at his age; however, I’m just not sure they will pay what he will demand.

I understand that, but nothing Beane has done shows that.

Signing Morse

Working trade (granted didn't happen) for Brown and OBJ (per reports).

Signing Star

What he has shown is if he and McD want something they will attempt it.

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the graphic was poor It only looked like it said 3 years, squinting hard, draft 2016?,  age 24. 

image.png

$17 Mil is low end QB Money. 

I should have added -- Spend wisely Beane -- in my first post 

Drafted in 2016 and is only 24 this year, the graphic is small as hell.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/07/campbell-says-its-going-to-be-tough-to-retain-yannick-ngakoue-adds-that-hes-a-generational-talent/

I think you guys all know in this room how both Doug and I feel about Yannick through our conversations over the years,″ Caldwell said last Tuesday. ″He is a tremendous player and even a better person. How he handled his business this year was tremendous. But I would say that’s priority No. 1 to make sure he comes back to Jacksonville and that he’s a Jacksonville Jaguar. Hopefully, we can get that done where he’s here for a long period of time.″

While those statements are certainly positive, most understand it will be easier said than done. Ngakoue’s teammate, Calais Campbell, also understands that retaining the young pass-rusher will be difficult, especially after how the Jags handled the situation last offseason.

“Oh yeah, it’s going to be very tough,” Campbell said to Brent Martineau in an interview with Action News Jax. “I mean he’s a very strong-minded person and I would’ve loved to see a deal get done last year where there were no ifs, ands or buts about it. But when you get to free agency, even with the franchise tag, it’s going to be tough. At the same time, I really hope we figure out a way. He is a generational talent and you don’t get them all the time. He can change games and even when he doesn’t play his ball, he still makes a difference in the ball game.”

As it stands, they will have to make some tough moves to free up cap space to pay him because they are over the cap by $1.51 million.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I understand that, but nothing Beane has done shows that.

Signing Morse

Working trade (granted didn't happen) for Brown and OBJ (per reports).

Signing Star

What he has shown is if he and McD want something they will attempt it.

I have no problem with whatever Beane does. I trust him to do what he feels is best for the team. I feel Yannick will command more than they are willing to spend on him. Hopefully, not. We will just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

That's not true. For one, he was the Bills' best defender in the Jets finale. Not that it mattered to the Bills, but it mattered to the Jets.

And it mattered to Trent's bank account (can you say 'bonus' boys and girls), so maybe not the best comparison.   

IMO, Murphy's nothing more than a journeyman.   The Bills need difference makers--in other words, 1 or 2 guys like Yannick.   

Unfortunately, I don't think McBeene will go that way, and will opt to keep the team mostly intact (what's that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?)...     

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And it mattered to Trent's bank account (can you say 'bonus' boys and girls), so maybe not the best comparison.   

IMO, Murphy's nothing more than a journeyman.   The Bills need difference makers--in other words, 1 or 2 guys like Yannick.   

Unfortunately, I don't think McBeene will go that way, and will opt to keep the team mostly intact (what's that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?)...     

They also need some good journeymen too, and they can easily afford Murphy and Yannick. Murphy is a well-functioning cog in a very good D, and he is disruptive even if the sack numbers don't show it. Not sure why Bills fans want to get rid of solidly functional players on an elite unit.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

They also need some good journeymen too, and they can easily afford Murphy and Yannick. Murphy is a well-functioning cog in a very good D, and he is disruptive even if the sack numbers don't show it. Not sure why Bills fans want to get rid of solidly functional players on an elite unit.

I don't necessarily want to get rid of him.  I just want him to set the edge ONCE.  He drove me nuts this year with the peeking inside.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't disagree with this, I would rather have Lawson's youth and upside with a contract similar to Murphy's, 25 vs 29 for very similar production and I wonder if that is how Beane is figuring Shaq's value. If you just use either of them as a third DE; how much do you value that third DE as far as the salary cap per positional value vs Johnson let's say.

Yannick is a premier piece that is affordable under our cap situation & won't preclude us from signing any of our own, fills a need and is an actual upgrade vs the players we have. You can do with with a 1 year bloated cost depending on how you structure or you can clear some space up at the same time.

All I wanted to show in this post, is that it is possible to upgrade the Edge opposite Hughes at a relatively small increase in cap dollars allocated between LB & DE as it is today. The beauty of our cap situation as I posted in another thread is that - we are so well set up over the next 3 off-seasons, we can be extremely flexible and still sign our own plus to target upgrades at positions of need.  

12 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't disagree with this, I would rather have Lawson's youth and upside with a contract similar to Murphy's, 25 vs 29 for very similar production and I wonder if that is how Beane is figuring Shaq's value. If you just use either of them as a third DE; how much do you value that third DE as far as the salary cap per positional value vs Johnson let's say.

Yannick is a premier piece that is affordable under our cap situation & won't preclude us from signing any of our own, fills a need and is an actual upgrade vs the players we have. You can do with with a 1 year bloated cost depending on how you structure or you can clear some space up at the same time.

All I wanted to show in this post, is that it is possible to upgrade the Edge opposite Hughes at a relatively small increase in cap dollars allocated between LB & DE as it is today. The beauty of our cap situation as I posted in another thread is that - we are so well set up over the next 3 off-seasons, we can be extremely flexible and still sign our own plus to target upgrades at positions of need.  

I just think that someone is going to pay Lawson more than the Bills will be willing to. He's a role player for the Bills, and there are teams out there desperate for a competent DE (which he is). I suspect he's going to get paid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Lawson is as good as gone. He wasn't given much of a chance to shine here, and some other team with terrible d-line problems will likely value him more than we do. I hope he comes back, but I'm not expecting it.

Not given much of a chance? Dave, he’s started every game he was healthy enough to play. I certainly think he was over Drafted, but when healthy, he started throughout his 4 years. Otherwise, I think it was wise not to pay him the 5th year option. We’ve seen his best.

We can do better.