If we add Yannick here is what our cap space my look like

Reed83HOF

24 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Are you just afraid of them spending money? You overpay in free agency especially in Buffalo. But you can get good players while cap space is not an issue. 

you don’t want Yannick or shaq. Maybe you think they’ll spend the money on Clowney?

Your window to win in the NFL is always very limited unless you have a generational QB (and even then you have ups and downs as your cap situation will be in flux once they get off their rookie deal.) So if you have a QB on a rookie deal and a team that is coming off of a 10 win season you better take advantage of your chance to “go for it.” Now that’s not to say that the Bills need to go all in and screw the future. But you also can’t run the risk of being too conservative. If you have a 25/26 year old player who you might have to over pay but if you can plug a starting position with an elite player for 3-4 years that lines up with what the team is trying to do. You can’t always wait on the future. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

None of the analytics sites actually support this. All have Murphy as the more productive player. While I have my issues with those sites and treat them with a grain of salt, the fact of the matter is that Murphy started every game while Lawson started none, and he played more snaps. Did the coaches make the right decision? I don't know, but I have a hunch that while they obviously want to stop the run, they recognize that a good pass defense is simply more important than a good run defense in today's NFL.  The Bills' defense prevented points because its pass D was so good. Murphy, regardless of sack totals, was a disruptive player on pass downs all season long. 

if you want more i'm sure there is more if you referring to PFF metrics I would like to see these because this was a bad habit all year for Murphy.  I would argue with the pass rush as most of the younger QB's today are stressing outside gap containment (ie Watson Mahomes Jackson) all will gladly stress your D by escaping the pocket and make secondary be put in no mans land with giving up the chunk yardage to run if you stay back or hit the open receiver as the coverage comes up to contain the rushing QB

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think you're mis-remembering based on WGR's quote.

He's saying as a team, this offseason isn't an overhaul. As such, we aren't going deep into FA like we did last year [by signing 19 new players]

ugh this doesn't give me confidence for the future at all. 

this offseason is supposed to be our most important offseason in the last 30 years. we finally have a chance to break off and dominate this division but instead Beane wants to lay low??? our roster is not good enough, we massively overachieved this season with 10 wins. 

13 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

if you want more i'm sure there is more if you referring to PFF metrics I would like to see these because this was a bad habit all year for Murphy.  I would argue with the pass rush as most of the younger QB's today are stressing outside gap containment (ie Watson Mahomes Jackson) all will gladly stress your D by escaping the pocket and make secondary be put in no mans land with giving up the chunk yardage to run if you stay back or hit the open receiver as the coverage comes up to contain the rushing QB

Good points; the afc east (6 games!), though, doesn’t feature any such qbs. Not saying it’s not important, but the first thing a coach and gm have to do is build a team to win the divisional games.

i was also referring to PFR’s AV rating, which is a bit of a mystery to me. That said, their sister site, baseball-reference, developed B-WAR, and it is awesome. I love that suite of sites. Best thing on the internet for sports fans. 

Edited by dave mcbride

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your misinterpreting. He’s saying they won’t be signing a ton of guys like last offseason.... expect them to sign upgrades at certain position.... at least that’s how I interpreted it.

And last year he said that they wouldn’t be very active in FA. Then they added 9 new starters on offense.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just cut Star and Murphy and there is your 19 million. Sign Yannick, draft another DE in round 2, resign Phillips and get Harry back and all is well and your cap has hardly gone up but your talent certainly has. 

If we spend on anything in needs to be on DE, RT, or WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Your window to win in the NFL is always very limited unless you have a generational QB (and even then you have ups and downs as your cap situation will be in flux once they get off their rookie deal.) So if you have a QB on a rookie deal and a team that is coming off of a 10 win season you better take advantage of your chance to “go for it.” Now that’s not to say that the Bills need to go all in and screw the future. But you also can’t run the risk of being too conservative. If you have a 25/26 year old player who you might have to over pay but if you can plug a starting position with an elite player for 3-4 years that lines up with what the team is trying to do. You can’t always wait on the future. 

As Beane has since called it a rebuild - we are 3 years in with a QB on his rookie deal who is trending upwards and a team that is a playoff team short on elite talent - time to sign a a couple impact players to start getting us over the top

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

19 New Players, plus the draft picks! Wowza!

Right now I have us signing 5 and re-signing 11 for my mock 2020 offseason.

I haven’t really drawn it up yet, but re-signs include McKenzie (RFA), Stanford, KJ, Coleman. I’m fine letting Spain, Shaq, and Jordan walk. I’m definitely kicking Ford to LG and going with Nsekhe at RT.

From there I’m going hard after Hyde, Green, and Clowney. I’ll take Covington as my DT3 and George Fant as my swing OT. Then I can rest easy and wait for wave 2 to grab depth at LB and S.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I haven’t really drawn it up yet, but re-signs include McKenzie (RFA), Stanford, KJ, Coleman. I’m fine letting Spain, Shaq, and Jordan walk. I’m definitely kicking Ford to LG and going with Nsekhe at RT.

From there I’m going hard after Hyde, Green, and Clowney. I’ll take Covington as my DT3 and George Fant as my swing OT. Then I can rest easy and wait for wave 2 to grab depth at LB and S.

Question - why do you think they sign Clowney now, when they could have traded for him? He did go for a 3rd...

Not being a turd, just curious regarding your thoughts...

9 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

As Beane has since called it a rebuild - we are 3 years in with a QB on his rookie deal who is trending upwards and a team that is a playoff team short on elite talent - time to sign a a couple impact players to start getting us over the top

Beane was referring to the remake of the offense last offseason as a “rebuild” IIRC.  He took ownership for bungling the offense in 2018 and acknowledged the need to rebuild the offensive line and WR group. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Jerry just revealed he played 2019 with torn ligaments in his wrist. When it came to the playoff game and a 1 and done scenario he was the most disruptive player on our defense Saturday logging 4 tackles & 3 sacks while causing a couple others.

I agree Jerry had an awesome playoff game ... guess my comment was driven by looking more long term .. he'll be 32 at start of next year and beyond the playoff game (ligament issue aside for 2019)  it's a $9MM cap hit ... its kind of like groundhog day ... hard to believe he's been with us since 2013 ... but are his best year's behind him and time to look a little longer term and retool with younger talent .. hence my commentary on using his salary towards signing Yannick.  Age wise he certainly has more runway at this stage of his career.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:10 AM, Chandler#81 said:

According to some guy named Brandon, that’s not how the team is and will be constructed. Is Yannick great? Yes. Unfortunately for him, the Bills didn’t Draft him. Otherwise he’d likely get re-signed to a greater contract.

I disagree.  He will be more focused in his approach than last off season, but, you can't do everything via the draft and Beane knows this (IMO).  

IIWGM he would be my number 1 (this off season).  There are two things you rarely find via FA, franchise QBs and rush DEs.  We need one and fortuitously there's one right there waiting for his welcome to Buffalo.  Soon your keyboard will look like this:

Image result for f5 meme

It's never too early to know his thoughts on deers, somebody, please, get to work on this.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

The team isn't that many pieces away from being a serious contender but they can't fill all of their needs through the draft. I hope they at least add a impact pass rusher to help the pass rush against the Pats and other elite offenses and possibly another mid-level player at linebacker or corner. They need to add those 2-3 pieces in free agency then fill in the remaining 2 needs via the draft. They can't get too conservative forfeiting a chance to win now in order to preserve a future that might not be there. 

• Like (+1) 1

The thing I like about him is his age (turns 25 in March). 
You can sign him to a 5yr deal and not have to deal with his 30’s.

Beane states how difficult it is to find edge rushers in the NFL. To have a guy that young with that much production become a UFA is extremely enticing. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The team isn't that many pieces away from being a serious contender but they can't fill all of their needs through the draft. I hope they at least add a impact pass rusher to help the pass rush against the Pats and other elite offenses and possibly another mid-level player at linebacker or corner. They need to add those 2-3 pieces in free agency then fill in the remaining 2 needs via the draft. They can't get too conservative forfeiting a chance to win now in order to preserve a future that might not be there. 

People have to keep in mind there is Coach/GM speak and while they are technically correct about how they want to build, they also must feel the urgency of the expiring rookie contracts in 2021 & onwards & shore up those positions while they can - they don't have the luxury of a 5-7 year rebuild to find every core premier player in the draft. They need to push the chips to the middle of the table on the premier FAs they can't get through this draft (obviously not crazy overspending). 

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

While Yannick looks to be a very good option I don't think that we need both him and Star on the roster together.  I think Yannick stays with Jacksonville when it is all done.

They are $1.5M over the cap, need about $10M for their rookie class - it all comes down to how far they want to cut. They can restructure Campbell, but that will only do so much  they are in a fairly tight situation and face a very tough decision. At the end of the day, that franchise is screwed for the next couple years with the cap.

Austin Hooper and the Falcons are in the same boat, cutting can be done to re-sign him - how deep do you go if you do and is it worth it in the end?