Jump to content
wppete

The Rooney Rule (still) isn’t working?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

 

No, the guy you were responding to.

Stick around, it’s about to get good...😉

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

 

So can people in this wonderful new culture, can people identify as any race they want to?  I always wanted to be Polynesian, (even though it really isnt a race) so I am going to start identifying myself as Polynesian

A Polynesian oil baron.  I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JaCrispy said:

Stick around, it’s about to get good...😉


yeah looks like one fool is going to blow up a great 10 page conversation thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wppete said:


yeah looks like one fool is going to blow up a great 10 page conversation thread. 

 

I count two...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Stick around, it’s about to get good...😉

 

If by good, you mean @SDS shuts this ***** down, then yes I agree.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

 

If by good, you mean @SDS shuts this ***** down, then yes I agree.

I'd rather watch him lay the smack down for a little while first.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

A Polynesian oil baron.  I like it.

 

Polynesian oil sounds like a salad dressing one would find at a panera bread... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SDS said:

 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

 

If you can't read it then google: Extensive Data Shows Punishing Reach of Racism for Black Boys

 

and you will see the answer to the question you just asked.

SDS I really appreciate you allowing us to have this civil discussion...it has been a pleasure learning and sharing with my bills brethren...👍

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wppete said:


relax

 

image.png.7cb447b8d3c9629e49159012d51ae13c.png

 

 

those were the days when you could make instant millions with a tshirt like this....

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, row_33 said:

 

image.png.7cb447b8d3c9629e49159012d51ae13c.png

 

 

those were the days when you could make instant millions with a tshirt like this....

 


This is my favourite 😂 

 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aa433b4c7840270287b

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and it's twin...

 

image.png.7cc7b1720aa0321861d7dc7dd649ef50.png

half the high school was wearing one of them in the mid-80s

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

 

image.png.7cb447b8d3c9629e49159012d51ae13c.png

 

 

those were the days when you could make instant millions with a tshirt like this....

 

 

You would quote Archie Bunker... 😂

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

You would quote Archie Bunker... 😂

 

 

that's a great show in reruns on WPIX on Saturdays, best seen now as who was the bigger clown between Mike and Archibald

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Seriously dude be more diverse in your everyday life. Make friends with some Tyrones and Joakims. Your questions will answer themselves. 

But why? Are the Nyree’s and Leeroy’s in my life not good enough for you?

 

Your post indicates that I don’t know enough black people in my life to have a proper understanding...which seems rather entertaining considering my family is black...

 

I asked that simple question because it only required a simple answer...and that answer is that not all black people are oppressed just because they are black and not all white people are oppressors just because they are white...and in many cases “oppression” can also be a state of mind...

 

I am black and had very little while growing up... but I was never oppressed...there was no one keeping back...it was through hard work (sometimes working 3 jobs to get myself through college) that now I live the American dream in the greatest land on the face of the earth.

 

I loath discrimination against ALL people, not just minorities...and I will defend any group of people that I see it happening to- including white people...so if people have to discriminate against another group to create “equality” that is not equality to me...2 wrongs don’t make a right...it’s not something you can manufacture or make people do- because that leads to tyranny...

 

That is why education is the best way to me...it has worked in the past and I believe it will continue to work in the future...aaa sand you don’t build resentment with other groups of people...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

But why? Are the Nyree’s and Leeroy’s in my life not good enough for you?

 

Your post indicates that I don’t know enough black people in my life to have a proper understanding...which seems rather entertaining considering my family is black...

 

I asked that simple question because it only required a simple answer...and that answer is that not all black people are oppressed just because they are black and not all white people are oppressors just because they are white...and in many cases “oppression” can also be a state of mind...

 

I am black and had very little while growing up... but I was never oppressed...there was no one keeping back...it was through hard work (sometimes working 3 jobs to get myself through college) that now I live the American dream in the greatest land on the face of the earth.

 

I loath discrimination against ALL people, not just minorities...and I will defend any group of people that I see it happening to- including white people...so if people have to discriminate against another group to create “equality” that is not equality to me...2 wrongs don’t make a right...it’s not something you can manufacture or make people do- because that leads to tyranny...

 

That is why education is the best way to me...it has worked in the past and I believe it will continue to work in the future...👍

 

Good stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

But why? Are the Nyree’s and Leeroy’s in my life not good enough for you?

 

Your post indicates that I don’t know enough black people in my life to have a proper understanding...which seems rather entertaining considering my family is black...

 

I asked that simple question because it only required a simple answer...and that answer is that not all black people are oppressed just because they are black and not all white people are oppressors just because they are white...and in many cases “oppression” can also be a state of mind...

 

I am black and had very little while growing up... but I was never oppressed...there was no one keeping back...it was through hard work (sometimes working 3 jobs to get myself through college) that now I live the American dream in the greatest land on the face of the earth.

 

I loath discrimination against ALL people, not just minorities...and I will defend any group of people that I see it happening to- including white people...so if people have to discriminate against another group to create “equality” that is not equality to me...2 wrongs don’t make a right...it’s not something you can manufacture or make people do- because that leads to tyranny...

 

That is why education is the best way to me...it has worked in the past and I believe it will continue to work in the future...👍

 

But it is very difficult to make observations on the individual level. Statistically, the numbers don't lie though. The longitudinal study of millions of white/black people presented in that NYT article is sobering and depressing as *****. I hope you have a chance to look through it. Make sure you let it load long enough to see the animated graphics. It's a fabulous visual. I'm guessing the data presented is counter-intuitive to most people on the subject (and which you hinted at).

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

 

Good stuff. 

 

Why? Is it because you get to go home with a tidy anecdote in your pocket that reinforces a world view that by every societal measure - doesn't actually exist? @JaCrispy can have his personal experience without it being reflective of society at large.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

 

So can people in this wonderful new culture, can people identify as any race they want to?  I always wanted to be Polynesian, (even though it really isnt a race) so I am going to start identifying myself as Polynesian

Of all the Chick Fil A dipping sauces you identify as Polynesian? 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jauronimo said:

Of all the Chick Fil A dipping sauces you identify as Polynesian? 

 

Better than identifying as a Sweet & Spicy Sriracha. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, SDS said:

 

Why? Is it because you get to go home with a tidy anecdote in your pocket that reinforces a world view that by every societal measure - doesn't actually exist? @JaCrispy can have his personal experience without it being reflective of society at large.

 

No, it's because @JaCrispy slapped down an ignorant idiot who came into a civil conversation and starting spouting racist drivel, discrediting peoples opinions based on their skin color without ever engaging an idea with his own mind or intellect. That kind of ***** pisses me off. You want to have a wider conversation that's fine, and that article is super interesting and I am working through it (though hardly a sociologist am I) in small bites, but never once in this thread did I say a damn thing about how the disparity doesn't exist. If you've read the thread you've seen that I've been completely civil and sought to keep this thread an open conversation about this issue without it turning into a racial cluster you know what - up until that other guy rolls in here and can't make it through a single sentence without being racist. 

 

As for the "tidy anecdote" that you've just written @JaCrispy's life story off as, it's good stuff because it proves the reality that while we can look at the statistics and articles like you posted- we cannot find a way forward on the macro. It has to be on the micro. We can't say the whole system is broken and white men are ruining america without specic examples of where that is true, or in his case, where it hasn't been true. Statistics can be very easily weaponized into a narrative that doesn't tell the whole picture, and doesn't provide solutions but so easily has people willing to spout off without actually engaging in conversation, as seen up thread. 

 

 

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

 

Better than identifying as a Sweet & Spicy Sriracha. 

 

That stuff is terrible. I'm more a buffalo and honey mustard guy myself.(though not together) 

Edited by whatdrought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

If a black kid comes from a home that brings in over $200,000 and is able to send him to a private school, does he have more privilege than a white kid growing up in the sticks, whose family can barely make ends meet?

 

serious question...

Flip your scenario around and see where that leads you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...