The Rooney Rule (still) isn’t working?

wppete

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dungy explained his perspective tonight on PTI

for him Rooney rule was intended to force organizations to interview a breath of candidates and really look far and wide for candidates.

instead, owners, typically heading the search these days, rush to check a box and then rush to sign a guy without really seriously looking around.

not sure I 100% see that, but it’s his view....

Just looking at this year, it seemed like everyone had "the guy" they wanted to hire.  For the Cowboys it was McCarthy (interviewed him and Marvin Lewis).  For the Panthers (and Giants) it was Rhule.  Rivera for Washington (though he is a minority, I think it still goes to the point).  The Browns seem to be the only ones who are interviewing a lot of guys and taking some time to do so. 

2 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Just looking at this year, it seemed like everyone had "the guy" they wanted to hire.  For the Cowboys it was McCarthy (interviewed him and Marvin Lewis).  For the Panthers (and Giants) it was Rhule.  Rivera for Washington (though he is a minority, I think it still goes to the point).  The Browns seem to be the only ones who are interviewing a lot of guys and taking some time to do so. 

If I recall correctly, Miami was last to hire last year after taking their time.

26 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

these are privately owned enterprises (mostly, to be safe) and ownership will do whatever it pleases on hiring of executives, especially a single position of key importance

with corporate ownership increasing the move to be more inclusive will show up as the culture improves

but nobody has any business dictating whom an owner will hire for a single key executive spot, or the filling of the coaching team

• Like (+1) 2