Late Ford personal foul call a joke

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Didn't see any crack back block on that call.  Took us out of field goal range and a chance to win right there.  Tic Tac b.s. call.

Frustrated....

Do you understand the actual rule? By the letter of the rule, the call was correct.  Ford was blocking towards his own goal line. 
image.thumb.png.fe5c811e6a8356f22da7662fcfe006d3.png
A "common sense" interpretation of the play would make it clear it was not a blindside block.  But the refs already used up their one "common sense" over ride of the actual rules, when they stole the TD from the Bills in the first half. 

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Do you understand the actual rule? By the letter of the rule, the call was correct.  Ford was blocking towards his own goal line. 
A "common sense" interpretation of the play would make it clear it was not a blindside block.  But the refs already used up their one "common sense" over ride of the actual rules, when they stole the TD from the Bills in the first half. 

I think the debate is with the "initiate forcible contact with his head shoulder or forearm" part not the "toward or parallel to his own end line"  part.  looked like a weak push leading with his hands to me which is legal.  It is extremely debatable that the call was correct even by the letter of the rule...and given the situation and the way the game was going you absolutely cannot call that.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think the debate is with the "initiate forcible contact with his head shoulder or forearm" part not the "toward or parallel to his own end line"  part.  looked like a weak push leading with his hands to me which is legal.  It is extremely debatable that the call was correct even by the letter of the rule...and given the situation and the way the game was going you absolutely cannot call that.  

common sense should have prevailed. 

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I cannot think of another instance where a penalty for a blind side block was called where an offensive lineman did what Cody Ford did.  

I would love for someone to link a video of another instance where such a penalty was called where the lineman did what Cody did.  My guess is that even the most die hard Texan fan would have a hard time coming up with such a video.  

As an aside, it is shameful that some of our "fans" would react to Cody the way they did.  We have some great fans . . . but others . . . not so much.

Cody also said that he was coached to do what he did.  I don't think he did anything wrong, but, if he is coached to do what he did, AND if there really is an issue with what he did, the blame (if there is any) lies elsewhere.

Nevertheless, in my view, it was one of the worst calls to go against a Buffalo team and certainly negatively impacted on the Bills chances of winning the game.  

It is odd that each of the following critical calls went against the Bills: phantom blind side penalty, failure to call delay of game, and the after the fact re-writing of the NFL rule book to divine what the poor Texans' kick returner must have been thinking after the refs on the field called a TD.  How is it that the back up refs on the sidelines can reverse a call that the refs on the field (and the ref closest to the play) made?!?!?

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I cannot think of another instance where a penalty for a blind side block was called where an offensive lineman did what Cody Ford did.  

I would love for someone to link a video of another instance where such a penalty was called where the lineman did what Cody did.  My guess is that even the most die hard Texan fan would have a hard time coming up with such a video.  

As an aside, it is shameful that some of our "fans" would react to Cody the way they did.  We have some great fans . . . but others . . . not so much.

Cody also said that he was coached to do what he did.  I don't think he did anything wrong, but, if he is coached to do what he did, if there really is an issue with what he did, the blame (if there is any) lies elsewhere.

Nevertheless, in my view, it was one of the worst calls to go against a Buffalo team and certainly negatively impacted on the Bills chances of winning the game.  

It is odd that each of the following critical calls went against the Bills: phantom blind side penalty, failure to call delay of game, and the after the fact re-writing of the NFL rule book to divine what the poor Texans' kick returner must have been thinking after the refs on the field called a TD.  How is it that the back up refs on the sidelines can reverse a call that the refs on the field (and the ref closest to the play) made?!?!?

The game was stolen. 

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is exactly right.   It's tough to see on the replay, and it's possible that Ford had his right forearm on the defender.   But it certainly was not the kind of play that the rule was designed to prevent.   He didn't lower his shoulder, he didn't hit with his head, the defender saw him coming.  If the forearm was involved, it was incidental.  

At that point in the game, that's a bad call.   Officials let them play at the end of close games, and that's a game changing call on a play that didn't clearly violate the rule.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just

No, that isn't an illegal blindside block.  First, he was pushed by Poyer, he didn't make a block.  But more importantly, he didn't hit Edmunds with his head, shoulder or forearm.  

The guy was pretty much staring Ford in the face when he blocked him.

Ridiculous call.

Oh well. Price we pay for being Bills fans. 

Maybe with the changing of the guard in the NFL with the demise of Marsha and the hoody some calls will start going our way.

There was also a blatant delay of game somewhere in there the refs completely whiffed on.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

This is exactly right.   It's tough to see on the replay, and it's possible that Ford had his right forearm on the defender.   But it certainly was not the kind of play that the rule was designed to prevent.   He didn't lower his shoulder, he didn't hit with his head, the defender saw him coming.  If the forearm was involved, it was incidental.  

At that point in the game, that's a bad call.   Officials let them play at the end of close games, and that's a game changing call on a play that didn't clearly violate the rule.

I’m disgusted by the officiating, but the Bills have got to be better at putting teams away. When they were driving in the red zone up 13-0 they needed to have better play calling because going up 20 - 0 ends the game for all intents and purposes.  This was the fire they played with all season but good teams will take games if you let them hang around.  

That being said said they tied it up made a stop and made enough plays to have a chance to try to win it with a long FG.   The refs took it away. They also  failed to make two technical personal foul calls on the Texans during that same drive. Watt definitely followed through with all of his body weight on an after the throw hit on Allen just a few plays before. And a leading with the helmet hit on Allen by No. 41 on the QB sweep. 

Then a failure to blow low the whistle on an egregious 2 seconds after the play-clock expires on the Texans drive. I think that crept into the defenses mind as the play was snapped and had something to do with the Texans converting 3rd and 18. 

Look I can excuse a couple calls but that’s a pretty lopsided series of events going against them on the two last game defining drives.