Watt punch on Allen run - He hung on to the ball!

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Because that requires incredible timing and coordination to hit the ball as the ball carrier gets even with you while you're engaged with a blocker or, like you see in the Watt video, running next to the ball carrier sacrificing yards instead of going for the tackle.  

If you swing at the ball carrier and get neither the ball or bring down the man then you may find your playing time reduced dramatically.

No. Because players will be going to the sidelines after you knocked the wind out of them like Mike Tyson. You’ll be a hero. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stenbar said:

That play should be a penalty. You can't freaking punch someone with the  hopes of jarring the ball loose. If that is the case then  just start punching the hell out of everyone that has possession. Start drafting MMA fighters to force fumbles. LOL...What a freaking joke. SHould be a unsportsmanlike  and a automatic ejection and fine.  I know it is not a rule now but going forward they need to change that immediately

Agree with this

That was a whiff, but he set his foot and wound up on that whiff, so I still give Josh credit for standing steady. May have hit the junk? Kind of crazy that a guy can just throw a UFC punch at your midsection but I guess he's going for the ball. Allen looks comfy and unphazed, and the Watts are scary dudes. Good ball security any way you slice it.

Edited by Nelius

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

That’s my question. I don’t think it can be legal. They just allowed it that play. It can’t be legal. 

And I answered it twice, yet here we are.  It is perfectly legal.  Its taught at the college and pro level.  This isn't my opinion, its straight fact whether you choose to believe this time or not. Peanut Tillman made a career out of punching the ball out.  The flapping heads used to make a whole segment out of his offseason boxing training centered around forcing fumbles.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17114030/the-art-charles-tillman-peanut-punch-nfl-chicago-bears-carolina-panthers

The reason YOU haven't seen this before, I can't say.  The reason everyone doesn't do it all the time has already been explained twice.  I've seen Hughes and Poyer go for the punch. It doesn't always work because its hard to do and NFL players get paid to hang onto the ball.  

The world typically doesn't stop for a failed punch unless you're one of the Steroid Twins.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That’s my question. I don’t think it can be legal. They just allowed it that play. It can’t be legal. 

I'm right there with you but am starting to question it? Can you theoretically punch a guy down? It looks like Watt is staring directly at the ball so maybe that's what saves him? Weird play.

Just now, Nelius said:

I'm right there with you but am starting to question it? Can you theoretically punch a guy down? It looks like Watt is staring directly at the ball so maybe that's what saves him? Weird play.

Thats a great question and I'm glad someone finally asked it. 

Can Pegula really own BOTH the Bills AND the Sabres at the same time???  I don't think its been answered yet.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Thats a great question and I'm glad someone finally asked it. 

Can Pegula really own BOTH the Bills AND the Sabres at the same time???  I don't think its been answered yet.

Alright, alright, I'll follow your links. Calm down.

They really need to outlaw the closed fist haymaker method of stripping a ball.  You are literally just throwing a punch at another player which is an automatic suspension in basically any other context (on top of injuring their hand/wrist/whatever).

You can't intentionally bash the throwing arm of a QB, shouldn't be able to Falcon Punch a ball carrier.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Stenbar said:

That play should be a penalty. You can't freaking punch someone with the  hopes of jarring the ball loose. If that is the case then  just start punching the hell out of everyone that has possession. Start drafting MMA fighters to force fumbles. LOL...What a freaking joke. SHould be a unsportsmanlike  and a automatic ejection and fine.  I know it is not a rule now but going forward they need to change that immediately

I totally agree, players should not be allowed to punch, next time he'll punch, miss the ball on purpose and hit the chin, groin or an unprotected part of the body. This should be not allowed just like face-masking, horse-collar tackles and other defensive hits which are illegal.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

And I answered it twice, yet here we are.  It is perfectly legal.  Its taught at the college and pro level.  This isn't my opinion, its straight fact whether you choose to believe this time or not. Peanut Tillman made a career out of punching the ball out.  The flapping heads used to make a whole segment out of his offseason boxing training centered around forcing fumbles.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17114030/the-art-charles-tillman-peanut-punch-nfl-chicago-bears-carolina-panthers

The reason YOU haven't seen this before, I can't say.  The reason everyone doesn't do it all the time has already been explained twice.  I've seen Hughes and Poyer go for the punch. It doesn't always work because its hard to do and NFL players get paid to hang onto the ball.  

The world typically doesn't stop for a failed punch unless you're one of the Steroid Twins.

Throwing closed fist haymakers should be illegal in most cases.  If jerry Hughes cocked back and haymakered tom Brady’s arm while he had the ball in his hand, I believe he’d be flagged for it

• Like (+1) 2

That’s not what I am arguing. I understood what you are saying and players have tried to punch balls out forever. That’s not the point. The point is if you miss and just punch a player in the chest or gut or balls it should be a penalty. Like if you try to swat a ball away from a QB but miss and hit him in the helmet it is a penalty. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player swing as hard as Watt did with a punch, miss the ball and hit the player. That can’t be legal or guys would do it all the time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yeah, but on the game coverage they had another angle and you could see that Watt almost completely missed the ball. Would Allen have held on if he'd hit it on target? We'll never know.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That’s not what I am arguing. I understood what you are saying and players have tried to punch balls out forever. That’s not the point. The point is if you miss and just punch a player in the chest or gut or balls it should be a penalty. Like if you try to swat a ball away from a QB but miss and hit him in the helmet it is a penalty. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player swing as hard as Watt did with a punch, miss the ball and hit the player. That can’t be legal or guys would do it all the time. 

I think it's totally legal, but it's not very effective at knocking guys down, and that's why they don't do it unless they're trying to knock the ball out.

Punching does a great job in making the area of contact small but a terrible job of delivering more total force. You deliver more total force by leading with a shoulder or a form tackle with your facemask.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, but on the game coverage they had another angle and you could see that Watt almost completely missed the ball. Would Allen have held on if he'd hit it on target? We'll never know.

I think he definitely missed the ball. I can’t imagine punching someone in the gut if you miss is legal. 

I want to see our players doing stuff like that more often. If he had connected more with the ball there's no way Allen would have maintained control.

Lots of people crying about it being dirty or dangerous. Not my take at all. I find it smart and effective.

So why doesn't everybody just do it on every play? Its legal and there's no downside.

The downside is that if you're punched in the chest when you're running you'll basically run right through the contact and keep going. You deliver less force by running the force vector up through a bunch of joints that aren't locked than you would by using a conventional tackle.

Boxers in a typical fight will get punched a couple hundred times and more of them than not make it to the end anyway. Try getting tackled at high speed a couple hundred times in the length of time a prize fight takes.

The reason tackles are taught the way they are is that it's the best and most violent way that's safest for the tackler.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

The downside is that if you're punched in the chest when you're running you'll basically run right through the contact and keep going. You deliver less force by running the force vector up through a bunch of joints that aren't locked than you would by using a conventional tackle.

Boxers in a typical fight will get punched a couple hundred times and more of than not make it to the end anyway. Try getting tackled at high speed a couple hundred times in the length of time a prize fight takes.

These people really think a punch is more dangerous than a full speed hit from a defenders shoulder? We're talking magnitudes of more force than a punch here, folks. A hard, legal tackle is so much more dangerous and forceful than a punch.