THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - December Football

Shaw66

December football is different.   It’s intense.  There’s an urgency about it that’s missing from the games earlier in the NFL season. 

It happens every season.  Fifteen or twenty teams are competing for a spot in the playoffs, or for home field advantage.  Many of the teams that have been eliminated share the intensity because they don’t want to be embarrassed, they want to make a point, they want to build a resume for free agency, they want to close out a career with positives, something.   Everyone feels it.

The fans talk about playing meaningful games in December.  They want their team to be one of the fifteen or twenty looking to the playoffs.

It’s December football, and the Buffalo Bills have arrived.   

The Bills arrived in Pittsburgh with a 9-4 record and persistent doubts about whether they are playoff material.  The doubts were well earned, because, over the past 20 years the Bills had occasionally knocked at the front door of December football.  On rare occasions, they were admitted, only to be quickly booted out the back door and sent home.  This year, the Bills’ weak schedule and inconsistent offense fueled the doubts.  Even though the Bills had led the AFC Wild Card race for weeks, few people believed in them.   They didn’t believe even after the Bills played the Ravens essentially even the week before because, well, because the Bills didn’t win, and December football is about winning. 

Winning requires execution at a high level, hitting harder, making the critical plays, playing through challenges.  It requires heart, courage, and excellence.  The Bills are all of that. 

The Bills beat the Steelers 17-10 in Pittsburgh on Sunday night.  A December Sunday night.  They clinched a playoff spot by beating a team that has made a habit of winning December football games for decades.  They beat a team that needed a win to climb even with the Bills in the race for the playoffs.  They beat the Steelers with the Steelers fans making noise and waving those yellow towels and all of that.    

It’s December football, and the Bills have arrived. 

The Bills defense took over the game early and never let go.  The Steelers had a touchdown drive of 69 yards, one other drive of 58 yards.   The rest of the game they gained a total of 102 yards.     

The Bills took the Steelers out of their running game and forced Devlin Hodges to throw.  Throwing against Buffalo is a losing proposition.  Opponents attempt passes against the Bills around the league average – about 34 per game, and the Bills have the second best passer rating of all NFL defenses.   Hodges attempted 38 and couldn’t figure out the Bills.  As the pressure grew for the Steelers to get back into the game, he took more chances and turned the ball over.  The Bills were in almost total control.

A couple of things stood out in the Bills defensive effort.  First was the defensive line.   They were tough against the run, pretty much the entire night.  The gaping holes, the big cut-back lanes that they had allowed earlier in the season are gone.   Running against that line and those linebackers is a chore.   And the front four was getting consistent pressure on Hodges without the blitz.   The pocket kept closing in on him, increasing the pressure and forcing him to run and throw on the run, neither of which he does particularly well.  Then, when the Bills blitzed, Hodges was in trouble right from the snap. 

Second was the preparation for the game.  If Hodges completed a pass, in rhythm and on time, there always was a tackler, and often two or three tacklers, arriving as the receiver tried to tack on yards after catch.  There were more or less no yard after catch, particularly on multiple third down plays where the Steelers completed a pass short of the line to gain.   The Bills defense knew what to expect and knew how to respond.    It was impressive. 

Sean McDermott’s conservative approach to football, or at least what many fans believe to be a conservative approach, was on display in all its glory against the Steelers.  When Allen threw his interception late in the first half and was bailed out by the defense’s own take-away, McDermott had seen enough and ran out the clock.  In the second half, after White’s interception and 49-yard return with the Bills down 10-7, McDermott put the Bills offense into a shell – if they could get a first down rushing, fine; if they could get a touchdown rushing, fine; otherwise, they were taking the field goal and tying the score. The way his defense was playing, McDermott knew that getting points on the interception was much more important than getting the lead.

A few minutes later, with the score tied and after the defense stopped the Steelers on three plays, McDermott let Allen come out throwing, and Allen responded, first hitting Brown deep down the left sideline and then delivering a perfect pass to Kroft for the touchdown.  I expect that when Daboll was giving Allen the play call for the TD, he told Allen that if there was any chance of a pick, throw the ball over Kroft’s head and take the field goal.  Allen saw Kroft break free to the sideline and made a professional throw. 

That was it for to McDermott.   One more score would have put the game out of reach, but McDermott was content to run the ball and leave the game in the hands of the defense.   The defense didn’t disappoint.

McDermott’s approach isn’t so much conservative as it is smart.  It’s December football, and December football is about winning. 

Having said that, McDermott’s conservative, game-winning approach can be nerve-wracking.  The final minutes of the Steelers game were anything but comfortable; taking a knee while a couple of minutes run off the clock is a much more civilized way to end a game.   A really well prepared team wouldn’t give the Steelers a free timeout with a needless penalty; leaving the Steelers with more than a minute and half, instead of less than a minute, put the game at risk one more time.  

McDermott’s approach is driven by where Allen is in his development as an NFL quarterback.  Allen is a cannon, and I don’t mean just his arm – he has the throwing, running and leadership ability to blow up defenses.  How do we know that?   He is tied with Russell Wilson for the league lead this season with the most game-winning drives (5) and most comeback wins (4).  But he’s young and learning, so he’s a loose cannon.  McDermott has seen his cannon blow up in his face (like against the Patriots) instead of blowing up the defense.  So what does McDermott do?   He doesn’t risk things blowing up in his face unless he has too.  He plays for the win, not for the highlights. 

McDermott lets Allen practice managing the game, practice making the throws he needs to make without putting the team at risk.  Allen gets to practice in the first half.  As soon as the Bills get the lead in the second half, practice time is over and McDermott is playing to win the game.   Winning the game means don’t give your young quarterback a chance to blow up.  As Allen develops into a more reliable weapon, I think we’ll see McDermott open up and go for the jugular. 

We saw some of the loose cannon on Sunday night.   Allen made three or four poor throws on plays that should have been easy completions.  One of those resulted in an interception.   The decision making on the INT was fine, the throw was college-accurate when it needed to be pro-accurate.   We know Allen can make all of the throws, because we’ve seen it.   He needs the professional discipline to do it every time.  Until Allen shows that discipline, with a second-half lead McDermott will take the ball out of his hands.

Chris Collinsworth analyzed Allen’s footwork on one play, talked about Allen’s base being too wide and whatever.  I don’t know if he was right about all that, but he made a more important point, which is that Allen needs to recognize and understand what’s going on more quickly.  The extra time is what Allen needs to make the throw right, because he has the arm strength and throwing ability to make throws from all sorts of positions.   Recognition and understanding is where Allen needs work.

The 2019 season isn’t over, and there could be a lot more to cheer about, but 2019 already is a success for the Bills.   With this collection of players, 10-4 (even if it were to turn into 10-6) is a success, having clinched the playoffs is a success.  (I’ll admit it: I clicked on the standings more than once the day after the game, just to see the small letter next to the Bills’ name, the letter that means the Bills have clinched something.   Haven’t seen a small letter in a long time.)  

More importantly, 2019 is a success for McDermott’s process.  He has done what he planned to do, he’s gotten the results he expected he would get, and the process continues.   He doesn’t yet have all the talent he needs, and he and his coaches and players haven’t yet grown all the way into his system.  As Collinsworth said during the game, we’re looking at the base on which McDermott is going to build his team, not at the finished product.  It’s all what McDermott told us when he arrived, and it’s all happening.

Welcome to December football.  Welcome to the playoffs.   Welcome to the new era. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I'm completely with you in regards to McDermott being conservative. We saw him go for it on 4th and 6 early in the game. He's done that in multiple games and last week he went for two while the old football heads were baffled about it. He's aggressive at times and conservative at times. 

I thought running out the clock at the end of the half was the correct move. Moving the ball 50-60 yards was going to be very tough, don't run the risk of giving away points when your defense is playing that well. You just got lucky, don't push it in this type of game. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I like it. I'm a huge fan of defensive football.

Me too.

That game last night was an absolute beauty. Give me a 17-10, old school slugfest over a 51-48 shootout all day, everyday. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

I thought running out the clock at the end of the half was the correct move. Moving the ball 50-60 yards was going to be very tough, don't run the risk of giving away points when your defense is playing that well. You just got lucky, don't push it in this type of game. 

I agree.  I generally don't have a problem with McD's conservative moves.  McDermott believes in winning the fourth quarter to win the game, and he coaches to keep the game close.   He expects his team to win the fourth quarter, and they've been doing it.  

But I'm guessing that in three years, when Allen is a top 10 QB, McDermott will trust him not to screw up and might very well turn him loose in the exact same situation.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Its a great season so far.  Every year 12 teams make the playoffs. Its not really that earth shattering.  A lucky few make it many times in a row.  To early to say where we are at in the process. Maybe we are the 2002 Patriots.  Maybe we are the 2012 Bengals.  Maybe we are the 2018 Rams. 

I suspect that Beane and McDermott are surprised that the Bills have done this well at this early stage of the rebuilding process. I wonder if Beane is kicking himself for not bringing another RB and WR. In a sense, it's all gravy from here on. Allen really has been clutch. As we've seen, he is one of the best in the league in the red zone, in third and long situations, and, as Shaw says, come back wins. He would have had two more if Hauschka had connected in Cleveland and Brown had sold his route against Baltimore. And maybe one more if he hadn't been knocked out of the Pats* game. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, finn said:

I suspect that Beane and McDermott are surprised that the Bills have done this well at this early stage of the rebuilding process. I wonder if Beane is kicking himself for not bringing another RB and WR. In a sense, it's all gravy from here on. Allen really has been clutch. As we've seen, he is one of the best in the league in the red zone, in third and long situations, and, as Shaw says, come back wins. He would have had two more if Hauschka had connected in Cleveland and Brown had sold his route against Baltimore. And maybe one more if he hadn't been knocked out of the Pats* game. 

I don't think Beane's kicking himself, and I don't think he and McDermott are surprised.

They believe in the process, and it's way too early to have sold out of the process to buy talent for a championship run this season.  I suppose if you'd asked them they would have told you that Allen was a year or two away, so spending for talent for 2019 would have been a waste.   Just my guess.  

As for surprised about the success, I doubt it.  They have a lot of confidence in what they're doing.   If you'd told them Brown and Singletary and the oline will work out about how they'd planned, and they had no serious injuries, they probably would have said 10-11 wins was a real possibility.   

It just seems so obvious that they're doing it the right way, it's surprising other teams haven't built this way.   I suppose some of it is McD's personality, and you just can't copy his combination of sincerity, determination, hard work and values.  

• Like (+1) 2

Again the Bills won & I guess we can't argue with the result, but this conservative cr$p is definitely an issue.  

The Bills gave Pitt multiple chances to get back in the game & if not for a stupid fumble & the second Tre int who knows what could have happened.

Yes the Bills have had a rabbit's foot all year as there have been bad decisions made that cost them the Brown's (maybe the Baltimore) game too.

Remember the Browns where they relied on the Defense and Cleveland went 87 yards to win? 

Last week Beasley get's tripped up and a PI call on fourth down.  How many times do we see late game holding or PI calls. 

I'm thrilled they won, but sorry do not agree with McD's game management. 

And yes (before you sau McD was aggressive) they had no choice but go for it on 4th down in first as Haus was not kicking a 52 yard FG. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again the Bills won & I guess we can't argue with the result, but this conservative cr$p is definitely an issue.  

The Bills gave Pitt multiple chances to get back in the game & if not for a stupid fumble & the second Tre int who knows what could have happened.

Yes the Bills have had a rabbit's foot all year as there have been bad decisions made that cost them the Brown's (maybe the Baltimore) game too.

Remember the Browns where they relied on the Defense and Cleveland went 87 yards to win? 

Last week Beasley get's tripped up and a PI call on fourth down.  How many times do we see late game holding or PI calls. 

I'm thrilled they won, but sorry do not agree with McD's game management. 

And yes (before you sau McD was aggressive) they had no choice but go for it on 4th down in first as Haus was not kicking a 52 yard FG. 

I agree. Its worked so far this season cause they have played a lot of teams with average or worse offense. Come the playoffs against KC or Houston I have my doubts it will work. You need to put up points the way the NFL is now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I agree. Its worked so far this season cause they have played a lot of teams with average or worse offense. Come the playoffs against KC or Houston I have my doubts it will work. You need to put up points the way the NFL is now. 

I don't agree with this and I don't think McDermott agrees with this, either.  

To take the end of the game yesterday, there are two ways you can win - by scoring again to put the game out of reach, or by keeping them from scoring.   Just because you might like to score again doesn't mean that's the best choice.   The best choice is the one that has the highest probability of succeeding.   When your QB is young and still pretty inexperienced, when he's completing only 50% of his passes and when he's shown a tendency to throw into coverage when he should throw it away, he isn't a great choice to rely on.  Then, you have to compare it to your defense, which isn't giving up many points.   

So, I get that it makes you uncomfortable that the games are close at the end, but I think taking the ball out of Allen's hands late in the game is more likely to secure the win.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't agree with this and I don't think McDermott agrees with this, either.  

To take the end of the game yesterday, there are two ways you can win - by scoring again to put the game out of reach, or by keeping them from scoring.   Just because you might like to score again doesn't mean that's the best choice.   The best choice is the one that has the highest probability of succeeding.   When your QB is young and still pretty inexperienced, when he's completing only 50% of his passes and when he's shown a tendency to throw into coverage when he should throw it away, he isn't a great choice to rely on.  Then, you have to compare it to your defense, which isn't giving up many points.   

So, I get that it makes you uncomfortable that the games are close at the end, but I think taking the ball out of Allen's hands late in the game is more likely to secure the win.  

Explain the Cleveland game then?  Same scenario, however a TD and you lose, a second year QB too.  

They gave Pitt 2 chances to tie the game and did win but were too conservative imo.

As for Josh, he had multiple Int games vs. the Jets & Pats & to keep saying he is making bad decisions, throwing into coverage or high is again feeding a narrative that is wrong.

The Bills won, but imo were again way too conservative.

BTW watch NO yesterday?  Sure looked like passing & 300 yards is fun to me.

Edited by Billsfan1972