The Irishman

Teddy KGB

I expected more but Scorsese, Deniro, Pesce, Pacino et al, have set such impossibly high standards that it’s difficult even for them to reach those heights at times. It was a middle of the road movie, imo.

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I expected more but Scorsese, Deniro, Pesce, Pacino et al, have set such impossibly high standards that it’s difficult even for them to reach those heights at times. It was a middle of the road movie, imo.

I gotta award extra points for adding Action Bronson and Sebastian Maniscalco to the movie.    

Bronson as the casket salesman was a nice touch. 

• Like (+1) 1

I go into Scorcese movies thinking I won't like them and always come away pleasantly surprised.  

I enjoyed the Irishman.  I was once again reminded of Anna Paquin's stunning beauty and Scorcese's attention to detail for the set pieces is excellent.  

Joe Pesci stole the show in the movie.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Joe Pesci stole the show in the movie.  

Definetly.     He was cooler than a fan 

His grin as Frank told Hoffa he not only paints houses but does a little carpentry on the side was awesome.  

Edited by Teddy KGB

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Going in for a second watch.  

Thumbs up/Thumbs down ?   Where are we at ? 

I liked it.    Deniro and Pesci are awesome.  Pacino meh 

Watched it this weekend.   Thought it moved pretty well for a 3 hour movie.

Had the opposite opinion on the acting though.   Thought Pacino stole the show.  Only thing that bothered me was Deniro in the young guy makeup.   The scene at the grocery looked odd to me.

Anyways, enjoyed it but probably wouldnt give it a second watch.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Had the opposite opinion on the acting though.   Thought Pacino stole the show.  Only thing that bothered me was Deniro in the young guy makeup.   The scene at the grocery looked odd to me.

I couldn’t deal with that hair ??

26 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I don't think it was makeup, I thought they aged/de-aged them digitally with some of the new technology (similar to what they did to Will Smith in his last movie where he fights a younger version of himself). I recall hearing something about it before the movie was out and people thinking how it would affect the industry where any actor can play someone at any age, or look completely different

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't think it was makeup, I thought they aged/de-aged them digitally with some of the new technology (similar to what they did to Will Smith in his last movie where he fights a younger version of himself). I recall hearing something about it before the movie was out and people thinking how it would affect the industry where any actor can play someone at any age, or look completely different

Ahh makes sense.   It just looks really odd.  Almost like his features were too soft and corpse like.

Hard to sell these guys as younger when their bodies look and move like old men.

Otherwise, the movie was great. Maybe they could've broken it up into 2 parts, but I never felt like it was dragging.

The acting is unsurprisingly awesome. Pacino's performance was inconsistent. Could they have gotten Jack Nicholson to play Hoffa? I just realized he hasn't been in a movie for almost 10 years.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:39 PM, LeGOATski said:

Hard to sell these guys as younger when their bodies look and move like old men.

Otherwise, the movie was great. Maybe they could've broken it up into 2 parts, but I never felt like it was dragging.

The acting is unsurprisingly awesome. Pacino's performance was inconsistent. Could they have gotten Jack Nicholson to play Hoffa? I just realized he hasn't been in a movie for almost 10 years.

Nicholson already did that role. Has an actor ever played the same role in two unrelated movies before? 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nicholson already did that role. Has an actor ever played the same role in two unrelated movies before? 

That's why I mentioned him.

I wanna say yes...but it's rare obviously.

Paul Newman played the same detective character in a couple films, I think.

There's also a British actress who plays queen Elizabeth in a bunch of films and TV. I think just because she looks so much like her. She was in the Austin Powers movie.