Windows 10

Foxx

as many of you may, or may not know... support for Windows operating system, Windows 7 (Windows 8 in 2023) is ending January 2020. this does not mean that you have to buy a new computer, just that you have to upgrade to Windows 10 if you want to continue to receive support for your operating system. the "full price" for Windows 10 is around $200. you may be able to find it slightly cheaper though on say, Amazon for around $100. when Windows 10 was first released, Microsoft offered a free upgrade through various formats. the "official" free give away period ended sometime in mid 2016 however. although the free upgrade "officially" ended,  if you did not take advantage of it then, you can still get Windows 10 for free without having to pay for it. the best part is, as long as you have a valid license key (you didn't pirate your current one), you won't be breaking any rules or laws in doing so.

to get Windows 10 you merely have to navigate to Microsoft's Windows 10 Software Download site where you will need to download the Windows 10 installer. under the header of "Create Windows 10 installation media", click on the blue "Download tool now" button. once the installer has downloaded you will need to launch it for the process to begin. after the installer has begun, you will need to accept the "Terms and Conditions" and then select, "Upgrade this PC now". subsequently, follow the prompts and the installer will then go through a bunch of checks to make sure your computer is ready for the transition. if there are any conflicts, you will be presented with an itemized list of programs that you may possibly have to uninstall.

your computer will then begin the long arduous process of upgrading. this process can take some time and your computer will also most likely restart multiple times so be patient. again, as long as your current Windows 7 license is valid you will not be asked for a validation key. note: this only applies to current Windows 7 or 8 operating systems. it will not work with Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems. also, the upgrade will correspond to your existing OP SYS. if you currently have "pro" your upgrade will be to "pro", if you have "home" your Windows 10 version will be "home". Be aware that Microsoft may close this loop hole at any point.

remember to back up important files prior in case it goes sideways.

your other option is to go Linux

cheers and merry christmas.

?

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

as many of you may, or may not know... support for Windows operating system, Windows 7 (Windows 8 in 2023) is ending January 2020. this does not mean that you have to buy a new computer, just that you have to upgrade to Windows 10 if you want to continue to receive support for your operating system. the "full price" for Windows 10 is around $200. you may be able to find it slightly cheaper though on say, Amazon for around $100. when Windows 10 was first released, Microsoft offered a free upgrade through various formats. the "official" free give away period ended sometime in mid 2016 however. although the free upgrade "officially" ended,  if you did not take advantage of it then, you can still get Windows 10 for free without having to pay for it. the best part is, as long as you have a valid license key (you didn't pirate your current one), you won't be breaking any rules or laws in doing so.

to get Windows 10 you merely have to navigate to Microsoft's Windows 10 Software Download site where you will need to download the Windows 10 installer. under the header of "Create Windows 10 installation media", click on the blue "Download tool now" button. once the installer has downloaded you will need to launch it for the process to begin. after the installer has begun, you will need to accept the "Terms and Conditions" and then select, "Upgrade this PC now". subsequently, follow the prompts and the installer will then go through a bunch of checks to make sure your computer is ready for the transition. if there are any conflicts, you will be presented with an itemized list of programs that you may possibly have to uninstall.

your computer will then begin the long arduous process of upgrading. this process can take some time and your computer will also most likely restart multiple times so be patient. again, as long as your current Windows 7 license is valid you will not be asked for a validation key. note: this only applies to current Windows 7 or 8 operating systems. it will not work with Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems. also, the upgrade will correspond to your existing OP SYS. if you currently have "pro" your upgrade will be to "pro", if you have "home" your Windows 10 version will be "home". Be aware that Microsoft may close this loop hole at any point.

?

Very cool, thank you.  I am running 8.1.  Would you recommend that I upgrade to 10 now?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

?

...Microsoft is the master extortionist.......end of life cycle also includes my server software platforms.....and I need to upgrade the Exchange engine for my Outlook mail system as well.....so not only do I have to purchase the new software, but all of my current licenses are invalidated which means spending 75 grand on new licenses.....the old volume licensing benefit is gone and becomes punitive for small and medium size businesses....their Office 365 subscription is a bigger farce....with no Office Suite loaded local, everything is cloud based.....stop your subscription and your docs are no longer accessible..........

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Very cool, thank you.  I am running 8.1.  Would you recommend that I upgrade to 10 now?

it is a personal decision Gugs. you have to weigh the pros and cons and evaluate where the favor of the scales lie for you. 

if you don't utilize it now, there is a distinct possibility that the current loop hole may be closed and you would then have to purchase Win10 outright.

personally, i would love to have the time to install Linux and learn it. i am not and never have been a fan of the evil empire. perhaps one of these days something will happen that lights the fire under my feet to do just that.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I ended up getting the upgrade a year or so back. just basically upgraded my 7 home edition to 10. I was hesitant at first but found once you get in and start navigating around it's actually a pretty good upgrade from 7. I used xp for years skipping everything between it and 7 and then finally moved to 7 in 2012.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

Or use a Mac.

Or use a Chromebook!

My advice for regular computer users (not gamers) thinking of upgrading their current Windows 7 computer is this:

How old is your current computer? 5-6+ years? Probably not worth upgrading as the hardware is in more danger of failing, particularly if you have a traditional hard drive. But you may still want to check your  computer's specs to see if it is likely to work well with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is a bit of a RAM hog (yes, things can be disabled, to help save on this). Make sure the computer has AT LEAST 8GB of RAM. 

Check your processor. A quick way (that is usually "good enough") is to check your exact processor model on this chart: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php  I'd be wary of upgrading any computer with a processor that doesn't exceed 5,000 Passmark CPU Mark. They do sell new computers with slower processors than that, but they tend to be very low end. 

So figure you have to pay $140 for a new Windows license. Do you need more RAM? That may add another $50-$100 depending on your RAM and how much you need to add. So typically, we're talking at least $200---and now you have an older, used Windows 10 computer.  You can get a perfectly good new desktop tower, that probably blows your current Windows 7 machine away, for about $400. Maybe $500 if you get a reasonable sized SSD and push the RAM a bit.

Oh, and whether new or upgraded, if this is your first time with Windows 10 and you don't like change, try adding this nice tool, which helps longtime Windows 7 (and XP) users acclimate more easily. My clients tend to love it: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases  (just download and run the .exe file).

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Microsoft is the master extortionist.......end of life cycle also includes my server software platforms.....and I need to upgrade the Exchange engine for my Outlook mail system as well.....so not only do I have to purchase the new software, but all of my current licenses are invalidated which means spending 75 grand on new licenses.....the old volume licensing benefit is gone and becomes punitive for small and medium size businesses....their Office 365 subscription is a bigger farce....with no Office Suite loaded local, everything is cloud based.....stop your subscription and your docs are no longer accessible..........

i don't know if the gray market will help or not. ebay "Windows 10 key".

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Or use a Chromebook!

My advice for regular computer users (not gamers) thinking of upgrading their current Windows 7 computer is this:

How old is your current computer? 5-6+ years? Probably not worth upgrading as the hardware is in more danger of failing, particularly if you have a traditional hard drive. But you may still want to check your  computer's specs to see if it is likely to work well with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is a bit of a RAM hog (yes, things can be disabled, to help save on this). Make sure the computer has AT LEAST 8GB of RAM. 

Check your processor. A quick way (that is usually "good enough") is to check your exact processor model on this chart: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php  I'd be wary of upgrading any computer with a processor that doesn't exceed 5,000 Passmark CPU Mark. They do sell new computers with slower processors than that, but they tend to be very low end. 

So figure you have to pay $140 for a new Windows license. Do you need more RAM? That may add another $50-$100 depending on your RAM and how much you need to add. So typically, we're talking at least $200---and now you have an older, used Windows 10 computer.  You can get a perfectly good new desktop tower, that probably blows your current Windows 7 machine away, for about $400. Maybe $500 if you get a reasonable sized SSD and push the RAM a bit.

Oh, and whether new or upgraded, if this is your first time with Windows 10 and you don't like change, try adding this nice tool, which helps longtime Windows 7 (and XP) users acclimate more easily. My clients tend to love it: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases  (just download and run the .exe file).

creating a restore point before upgrading could help if a problem arises with performance issues.

Edited by Foxx

26 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i don't know if the gray market will help or not. ebay "Windows 10 key".

creating a restore point before upgrading could help if a problem arises with performance issues.

...can't take that chance....Microsoft subjects us to an annual license audit......I can't afford the negative publicity if we were not in compliance and hits with fines....it would be an embarrassment to our company....they love to publish a "poster child of non-compliance"...a local architectural firm got nailed for $95,000 on fines....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first was offered years ago, but I'm still using my ancient version of Office 2007 because I didn't like Office 2010, and I'm not interested in going to Office 365.   I want my docs accessible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first was offered years ago, but I'm still using my ancient version of Office 2007 because I didn't like Office 2010, and I'm not interested in going to Office 365.   I want my docs accessible.

All your docs can  and should be available on your computer with Office 365 or Office 2019. They can also be available in the cloud- but that's true for Office 2007, 2010, etc.

I use LibreOffice (free) as nothing I do is highly formatted or uses macros.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

personally, i would love to have the time to install Linux and learn it. i am not and never have been a fan of the evil empire. perhaps one of these days something will happen that lights the fire under my feet to do just that.

Download Virtualbox:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Download Ubuntu 1804 LTS

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/

A few clicks in Virtualbox will create a Virtual Machine that runs Linux inside of Windows (or Mac, or even another Linux distro).  You don't have to reformat your hard drive and if you screw anything up you can just delete the VM and start over

There are several Linux distros to choose from and within each distro there are different versions and different Window Managers to choose from.  Ubuntu is probably the easiest Linux to learn.  I don't care for Ubuntu's stock Window Manager and prefer to use a variant of Ubuntu called Xubuntu.  Download a few of the Ubuntu desktop variants and see which works best for you.  Whatever Ubuntu desktop managers you download, stick with the 1804 version.  Ubuntu 1804 is the "Long Term Support" version whereas the latest release, version 1910, has a much shorter support cycle

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Download Virtualbox:

Download Ubuntu 1804 LTS

A few clicks in Virtualbox will create a Virtual Machine that runs Linux inside of Windows (or Mac, or even another Linux distro).  You don't have to reformat your hard drive and if you screw anything up you can just delete the VM and start over

There are several Linux distros to choose from and within each distro there are different versions and different Window Managers to choose from.  Ubuntu is probably the easiest Linux to learn.  I don't care for Ubuntu's stock Window Manager and prefer to use a variant of Ubuntu called Xubuntu.  Download a few of the Ubuntu desktop variants and see which works best for you.  Whatever Ubuntu desktop managers you download, stick with the 1804 version.  Ubuntu 1804 is the "Long Term Support" version whereas the latest release, version 1910, has a much shorter support cycle

thanks dev, you da man. i will bookmark these links for later.

46 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Download Virtualbox:

Download Ubuntu 1804 LTS

Although I throw out a shout for Hyper-V.  VirtualBox always gave me headaches.  For whatever reason, I've found the Windows 10 Hyper-V installation to be much friendlier.  

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Although I throw out a shout for Hyper-V.  VirtualBox always gave me headaches.  For whatever reason, I've found the Windows 10 Hyper-V installation to be much friendlier.  

Hyper-V is also a good choice, but is limited to Enterprise and Professional editions of Win10.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's a PC?  I don't have, use a PC anymore.  Okay, at tax time I borrow one.  99.9999% of time I am on phone, Android... None of that toy Apple stuff.

I found an instructional video that's on your level.  Maybe a little bit higher level than you, but you get the idea