Windows 10

Foxx

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, which sucks if you ever wanna setup a domain

How many home users run a domain?  And then there's Server licensing

The only thing I miss on Home vs Pro/Ent editions are Hyper-V and BitLocker.  But VirtualBox and VMWare Player suffice for virtualisation and Veracrypt supports full disk encryption.  Veracrypt is Open Source, so it also works under Linux and FreeBSD (and even Mac for you hipster douches).   Plus being open source, we know there is not some super secret master key out there than can decrypt everything, unlike the uncertainty with Microsoft's magical black box

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

How many home users run a domain?  And then there's Server licensing

The only thing I miss on Home vs Pro/Ent editions are Hyper-V and BitLocker.  But VirtualBox and VMWare Player suffice for virtualisation and Veracrypt supports full disk encryption.  Veracrypt is Open Source, so it also works under Linux and FreeBSD (and even Mac for you hipster douches).   Plus being open source, we know there is not some super secret master key out there than can decrypt everything, unlike the uncertainty with Microsoft's magical black box

All valid points.

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Other than most consumer PCs come with a Home license

I personally would recommend the upgrade to most.

But I'd also be personally stuck supporting it, so if they want my help they damn well better shell out the extra $60 to make my life easier.  At the very goddamn least give me Powershell.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I personally would recommend the upgrade to most.

But I'd also be personally stuck supporting it, so if they want my help they damn well better shell out the extra $60 to make my life easier.  At the very goddamn least give me Powershell.

Pretty sure Powershell is now included on all Windows 10 offerings. At least it is on Home.

I work mostly on residential, standalone computers, and my clients tend to be older adults. They do not need Windows 10 Pro, and I don't think many "typical" non-gamers need it, either.  But like you, when there are certain issues I have to fix, I'm very happy to find Pro installed on occasion.

18 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Pretty sure Powershell is now included on all Windows 10 offerings. At least it is on Home.

I work mostly on residential, standalone computers, and my clients tend to be older adults. They do not need Windows 10 Pro, and I don't think many "typical" non-gamers need it, either.  But like you, when there are certain issues I have to fix, I'm very happy to find Pro installed on occasion.

They probably don't need VirtualBox, either.

Which is what started this discussion.  If I'm enough of a power user to want VirtualBox, I'm probably enough of one to want Win 10 Pro.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

They probably don't need VirtualBox, either.

Which is what started this discussion.  If I'm enough of a power user to want VirtualBox, I'm probably enough of one to want Win 10 Pro.

Completely agree.  

On 12/1/2019 at 11:53 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Microsoft is the master extortionist.......end of life cycle also includes my server software platforms.....and I need to upgrade the Exchange engine for my Outlook mail system as well.....so not only do I have to purchase the new software, but all of my current licenses are invalidated which means spending 75 grand on new licenses.....the old volume licensing benefit is gone and becomes punitive for small and medium size businesses....their Office 365 subscription is a bigger farce....with no Office Suite loaded local, everything is cloud based.....stop your subscription and your docs are no longer accessible..........

Windows 10 should not be called an upgrade.  Microsoft Extortion is a better name.  It tried to force the tablet interface down customers throats so they are sending patches to undo what many software engineers are doing which is neutering M$.  My Windows 10 laptop often reboots for "important" update and often it is just to "correct" a fix someone did and put out for everyone to use.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:17 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...can't take that chance....Microsoft subjects us to an annual license audit......I can't afford the negative publicity if we were not in compliance and hits with fines....it would be an embarrassment to our company....they love to publish a "poster child of non-compliance"...a local architectural firm got nailed for $95,000 on fines....

Do what US Census department did.  Over a weekend they replaced all Windows boxes with Linux boxes except for some Executive travel laptops and gave a big FU to M$'s licence fee demand. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Do what US Census department did.  Over a weekend they replaced all Windows boxes with Linux boxes except for some Executive travel laptops and gave a big FU to M$'s licence fee demand. 

And then when the users all Cry about not understanding how to use things...

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Windows 10 should not be called an upgrade.  Microsoft Extortion is a better name.  It tried to force the tablet interface down customers throats so they are sending patches to undo what many software engineers are doing which is neutering M$.  My Windows 10 laptop often reboots for "important" update and often it is just to "correct" a fix someone did and put out for everyone to use.

Windows 10 is well-paired with the Surface line of products (which are pretty damn good, really.)  For desktops...well, I have about half the "features" disabled, including Cortana (except when an update turns it back on.  Stop forcing your Cortana suckage on me, Windows!) 

I wonder if I can get Cortana and Alexa into a screaming match with each other?  

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Windows 10 is well-paired with the Surface line of products (which are pretty damn good, really.)  For desktops...well, I have about half the "features" disabled, including Cortana (except when an update turns it back on.  Stop forcing your Cortana suckage on me, Windows!) 

I wonder if I can get Cortana and Alexa into a screaming match with each other?  

I read an article awhile back that Microsoft is conceding defeat to Alexa, Siri, and Google and is going to phase her out in 2020