Why is is not important to lose to an NFC team ?

Cygnus99

We play the Dallas cowboys today . 

Scenario number one : We win today against the  Cowboys and we lose against the Ravens  

Scenario number two : We lose  today against the Cowboys but we win against the Ravens 

I do not understand why playing an NFC team is not as important as playing an AFC team 

Scenario number 2 is better than scenario number 1 ? Why ? 

I am trying to figure this out 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING 

29 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Tie Breakers. 

end of the day I want to win both. Let’s get the Division, Home Playoff Game and Maybe a Bye. 

Additionally, AFC opponents tend to have a better chance of contending with us for a wildcard spot.  A win against such a team counts "double".  You get the record and the tiebreaker.

If you look who's chasing us... we will be playing or have already played those teams... Pitt, Oak, Cle, Tenn. I'll give the other Wild Card to Indy for now. Out of those four teams, we play or already played 3 of 4. The head to head takes first priority as a tiebreaker. So as of now the only team that this tiebreaker would affect would be Oakland (we already messed up Cleveland and we beat Tenn.). Beat the Boys today and Pitt and we are pretty much in. Jets game would be gravy at that point. 2 more wins any way or how, no matter the opponent, and we are in imo. 

Every game on an NFL schedule is important. AFC games are a little more important then NFC games, but not by much. Division games are a little more important then other AFC games, but not by much. In this case, the Ravens are a much better team then the cowboys, so i think its more important to win today. I also dont think the bills will have to worry about tie breakers this year, unless new england blows their division lead somehow.

44 minutes ago, dubs said:

That crayonz logic will go down in TBD lore. He/she/zhe weaved a tapestry of logic that still hangs above Cleveland to this day. 

LoLz! I joined this board just in time for that! I knew from his first post what he was all about. Laughed and laughed at the posters arguing with him. I laugh again everytime some other rube gets suckered in!!!!

VIVA LOS CRAYONS!!!!

And I miss that DEEP VOICE! ... YEAH!

• Like (+1) 1

Since it's a rainy Thanksgiving morning where I am, and I just had a nice big breakfast and am enjoying a cup of coffee while my family watches the parade, I'm going to take the time to write out the answer for ya bud. Here goes nothing...

There are three factors to consider when understanding why losing to an AFC opponent matters more to the Bills playoff chances than losing to an NFC team: 

1. Scheduling rotations

2. Division tie breaker scenarios

3. Conference tie breaker scenarios

Consider scheduling rotations first. There are 4 divisions of 4 teams each, in both conferences. Teams within a division (in our case, the Bills, Patriots, Jets and Dolphins) play a schedule that is almost identical to one another, aside from 2 games. So everyone in the AFC east will play one another twice (Bills v. Jets 2x; Bills v Patriots 2x; Bills v Dolphins 2x) for a total of 6 games; they will play each team in another division within the AFC (this year, it is the AFC Central that we have been matched up against, so all of the Bills, Patriots, Dolphins and Jets will play the Steelers, Browns, Bengals and Ravens) for a total of 4 games; they will play each team in another division in the NFC (this year, it is the NFC East that we are playing, so all of the Bills, Patriots, Dolphins and Jets will play the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles and Redskins) for a total of 4 games. The remaining two games are based on the previous season's standings--so the first place finisher in the AFC East will play the other two first place finishers within the conference, the second place team will play the other two second place teams, the third place team will play the other two third place teams, and the last place team will play the other 2 last place teams. Because Buffalo finished in third place last year, we play the third placed teams in the South (Titans) and the west (Broncos).

Because the rotations through division pairings are scheduled (as opposed to randomized), Buffalo's opponents can be known decades in advance (aside from the 2 games scheduled against teams based on order of finish). Looking at next year, we will be playing the NFC west, and the AFC west. Also, we seem locked into second place in the AFC east, so it's a safe bet we'll be playing our 2 order-of-finish games against other second place teams. Our schedule should look something like: 

Patriots/Patriots/Dolphins/Dolphins/Jets/Jets/Broncos/Chiefs/Raiders/Chargers/49ers/Seahawks/Cardinals/Rams/Colts, Texans or Titans/Steelers or Browns

So, the important thing to wrap your head around with the scheduling formula is simply: teams play such a similar schedule within a division, in addition to head to head matchups vs each other, that the league has placed a premium on winning your division. That's why division winners get a home playoff game at the very least, and half of them get a bye. Winning your division is KEY in the NFL.

With that in mind, if you take a step back and look at tie breakers, you can see that the tie breaking procedure for determining order of finish within a division is different than determining order of finish within the conference.

Within a division, the tiebreakers are:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.

Within the conference, the tiebreakers are:

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.

One thing that you'll see a lot on here is that "NFC games don't matter as much." That's wrong. NFC games haven't been as important to the Bills for 20 years because the Patriots have had the AFC East by the balls while Buffalo has been hopelessly mired in mediocrity. For teams competing for a division crown (which, theoretically, every team should, but in practice, no one in the AFC East gets to do) NFC games are as important as any other game, aside from division contests. It outranks conference games in terms of tie breaking procedures, as the 2 different opponents the teams face get thrown out the window first in step 3--before being brought back in in step 4.

Because Buffalo's ceiling has been a wildcard for 20 years, this year included, we only ever really look at the conference tie breakers. When you consider that we will be using those tiebreakers against teams who will not have faced OUR NFC schedule (none of the Titans/Texans/Colts/Raiders/Chiefs/Browns/Steelers will have played any NFC East teams this year, obviously) you can see that none of the tie breaking procedures would factor in NFC games until the fourth level of tie breakers...

So, the long and short of it: Are NFC games less important? This year: technically, yes. When the Patriots come back to earth: absolutely not.

Edit: Happy Thanksgiving all!

Edited by JohnnyGold
  • Like (+1) 1