Buh-bye Arena League

PromoTheRobot

One of my best friends was the president of one of the teams. I tried to talk him out of ever taking the job knowing that this would happen. He’s so stubborn though. He said that he was able to get jobs for like 9 of his 15 full-time employees which I thought was pretty good. Minor league football just doesn’t work.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

One of my best friends was the president of one of the teams. I tried to talk him out of ever taking the job knowing that this would happen. He’s so stubborn though. He said that he was able to get jobs for like 9 of his 15 full-time employees which I thought was pretty good. Minor league football just doesn’t work.

Why do you think that is Kirbs? Just market too crowded with High School, College and NFL? Or is it that players won't play such a violent game for the small sums it would take to make the product sustainable? I get why products like XFL and the various others who have tried to be "competitors" of the NFL have failed but is there not a market for the whole thing done on a smaller scale? 

The NFL needs to step in and make some form of supplement league.  Between the XFL, CFL, and other startups, there’s clearly a demand for it, but they can’t compete.   

With the amount of college players, who’ve ever else out there, they should be some form of league that can run in the spring, where the best players can transition to teams for training camp. 

If I knew the Bills had a minor league type team that they share with other teams, I would watch that 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The NFL needs to step in and make some form of supplement league.  Between the XFL, CFL, and other startups, there’s clearly a demand for it, but they can’t compete.   

With the amount of college players, who’ve ever else out there, they should be some form of league that can run in the spring, where the best players can transition to teams for training camp. 

If I knew the Bills had a minor league type team that they share with other teams, I would watch that 

Hard to justify investing in a farm system when the NCAA is gonna do it for them for free...

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why do you think that is Kirbs? Just market too crowded with High School, College and NFL? Or is it that players won't play such a violent game for the small sums it would take to make the product sustainable? I get why products like XFL and the various others who have tried to be "competitors" of the NFL have failed but is there not a market for the whole thing done on a smaller scale? 

I think that it’s the former. There is only so much football that you can love. I use myself as the litmus test and while it seems like such a small sample size it makes sense. 

I love football. I probably dedicate 20 hours a week to watching or talking football. That’s a lot!! I’ve only missed 2 Bills games in my life that I can remember. I watch every OSU game and probably another 3 games a weekend (outside of Bills and Bucks). I’ve attended zero arena league games in my life. Twice, I’ve lived in cities with teams. I couldn’t name a single guy. If they can’t attract someone like me how in the hell are they going to be able to sustain??? 

At the core I think that’s the issue. They can’t establish a foundation. Even if they had 10,000 diehards in each market these leagues could probably make it. The problem is they just can’t get the floor high enough because of the other football out there.

• Like (+1) 5

56 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Surprised it lasted this long.

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We will see. New XFL may change that. I'm wondering now,  the players that backed out of the XFL draft..... what are they up to? 

Kirby: 

Your friend is smart for taking that job.  Getting experience, knowing how to talk to and deal with players. If he's any good,  word will travel. Gotta get the foot in the door. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I posted earlier this year (in a "bold ideas" thread, or something like that...) that there should be a minor-league NFL (NMLF?, perhaps), that would consist of 32 minor-league teams that would function as farm teams for each NFL team. They would be subsidized by each NFL team, and the rules governing how other teams could sign players off of them would be similar to the current rules for the practice squad. NMLF teams would have to reside in cities that did not have current NFL teams. And, it would be a good method for testing new rule changes, and gauging the unintended consequences. 

Go Rochester Rockheads!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

We will see. New XFL may change that. I'm wondering now,  the players that backed out of the XFL draft..... what are they up to? 

Kirby: 

Your friend is smart for taking that job.  Getting experience, knowing how to talk to and deal with players. If he's any good,  word will travel. Gotta get the foot in the door. 

He’s worked in sports for over 20 years. He didn’t need this. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s worked in sports for over 20 years. He didn’t need this. 

You didn't lay that out.  Maybe it'll still work out.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Doesn't matter what McMahon allows.  The XFL is a deadman walking.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  I'm going to enjoy the ***** out of watching him fail...again.

I don't see that crazy old bastard failing twice. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The Arena League lasted for a long time, it's not like it folded after one season.

A few of those teams did have real fan followings.

Yea it has had a good run. At one point it was pretty big too wasn't it in terms of number of teams etc?