Brandt: "People are crazy to tell Josh Allen not to run"

HOUSE

Related image

If Buffalo wants to make a late-season run, Brandt believes Allen shouldn't hold back on scrambling. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/brandt-people-are-crazy-tell-josh-allen-not-run

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HOUSE said:
Related image

If Buffalo wants to make a late-season run, Brandt believes Allen shouldn't hold back on scrambling. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/brandt-people-are-crazy-tell-josh-allen-not-run

I agree. He’s a talented runner. Reminds me of Cam when he takes off, in that he isn’t built on speed and shiftyness like a Vick or Lamar.  I think in 2018 he used his legs too often to bail him out of his arm/eyes. I feel like I see Allen late to make reads and in 2019 is either throwing bullets because he’s late or holding the ball too long. 

Allen should run more, but needs to also become a better passer to be a forever solution for Buffalo. 

Edited by Mango
Fat fingers on the pooper
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, HOUSE said:

I am not a big fan of goal line up the middle running, to many big guys crashing the line.

However, they are not going into those piles with a lot of momentum, so the actual force probably isn't as bad as getting hit in the open field by a LB.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Allen runs like Cam and Tebow, which is a long term concern. You can't have your QB playing power back.

He should run like Lamar and juke people out of their cleats ?

Lamar takes some shots at the end of runs sometimes. I'm torn on the whole sliding thing, seems like that's when QBs get hit the worst. Either need to slide early or take the guy on IMO.

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think I’m 2018 he used his legs too often to bail him out of his arm/eyes. I feel like I see Allen late to make reads and in 2019 is either throwing bullets because he’s late or holding the ball too long. 

Allen should run more, but needs to also become a better passer to be a forever solution for Buffalo. 

My emotional mind tells me he’s Losman 2.0 without the deep ball, standing back there over processing and over thinking.

My rational mind sees the progress. A thousand times better in the short game. Throwing it away when there is nothing there. Watching Wentz against NE, I saw similar play. His throws are in accurate to the high side.

I don’t like the designed runs where the o line is bunched in tight with TEs. I HATE the read option, it will get him killed. He is best when the safeties are deep and there is room to run: Four or Five wides.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I am not a big fan of goal line up the middle running, to many big guys crashing the line.

Agreed kind of, just because he runs up the middle like an RB or TE would. This year makes me especially nervous since he seems to have caught the fumble bug. 

I don't understand why there aren't more QB's as good at the QB sneak as Tom Brady. I know, he is the GOAT/nemisis. It is just a weird skill to have for such an immoble QB. For 15 years he has been the best in the business at it. Not only does he do it the best, he converts it at an astonishingly high rate, and had 6 different starting centers over his career. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21158057/the-dying-art-qb-sneak

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

My emotional mind tells me he’s Losman 2.0 without the deep ball, standing back there over processing and over thinking.

My rational mind sees the progress. A thousand times better in the short game. Throwing it away when there is nothing there. Watching Wentz against NE, I saw similar play. His throws are in accurate to the high side.

I don’t like the designed runs where the o line is bunched in tight with TEs. I HATE the read option, it will get him killed. He is best when the safeties are deep and there is room to run: Four or Five wides.

He is literally nothing like Losman. So your emotional mind is out of its mind. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Agreed totally. If we could spread the defense out a bit more, that would open up the field for more chunk plays with his legs. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, HOUSE said:
Related image

I have a theory that actually the Bills did put the handcuffs on Josh's running this season.

I think Daboll and McDermott looked at the meme developing "force him to beat you as a QB" and set out to design a game plan that did just that - forced Josh to stay in the pocket and beat teams with his arm.  I think at this point, they feel he's learned to stay in there and move around make his reads and throw, and it's OK for him to run more. 

But I don't think they want him scrambling so much, I think they are trying to mix in, not a "ton", but a judicious amount of RPOs - which if I'm not mistaken, were highly effective sometimes against Miami.

The fumble tendency is concerning.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The article here says there is no real correlation between scrambling and injuries.  The real concern for injury is a takedown during a throw.   

My thought is just win anyway you can.   You drafted Allen because he has exceptional physical traits.    Let him use those traits while you build on to them.  Taking away the very traits you drafted him for doesnt make any sense.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think I caught that live on the radio while working (I drive for a living).  Brought up how the risk of injury is an inflated concern because most QB injuries happen inside the pocket from getting sacked hard or rolled up on.

There is a certain truth to his "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude regarding "elite running QBs" as he put it.  Don't need to be an elite passer if you can reliably grind out 3rd downs with your legs.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The article here says there is no real correlation between being scrambling and injuries.  The real concern for injury is a takedown during a throw.   

My thought is just win anyway you can.   You drafted Allen because he has exceptional physical traits.    Let him use those traits while you build on to them.  Taking away the very traits you drafted him for doesnt make any sense.  

Just be careful about sliding around guys named Kiko and the like.