Extend Jordan Phillips?

Matt_In_NH

Is there a deadline for when you can extend guys during the season?   This guy is playing well and seems very passionate, always trying to get the fans into it.  I guess if you are Phillips at this point maybe you wait til FA and maximize your cash.  I wonder if they would tag him at this point....

He is having a great year. I love the energy he has brought since coming here as well.  I think the Bills will be smart and not over pay nor should they.  I they have a CB and two LB’s that I certainly would rather have than Phillips

Maybe if you cut Star and toss a little of that money at him but don’t back the truck up.  Brand has done a great job of finding value players since he has been here 

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Jordan Phillips is the exact kind of dude you don’t get into a bidding war with. I like him a lot, but history dictates that these kinds of one hit wonder dudes get big deals and then cut a year or two later.

Except he's been balling pretty good for 2 years now.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, chris heff said:

Yes, yesterday, extend him. Isn’t the plan to keep there own guys and draft? So pay him, otherwise you have a hole to fill.

Jordan Phillips won’t start over Harry or Oliver next year.

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

Except he's been balling pretty good for 2 years now.

Not like this. You know we resigned him last year for like nothing, right? That’s not the kind of contract offers he’ll get this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Not like this. You know we resigned him last year for like nothing, right? That’s not the kind of contract offers he’ll get this year. 

So they only need two DTs? He has seven sacks, he is not going to get a nothing contract.

• Like (+1) 1

Tricky situation.  I'd offer him a fair contract and hope he simply wants to stay here, as he seems to love Buffalo. 

We like to rotate guys and Phillips with a second year Oliver could be an absolute terror up the middle on fresh rotation. 

We have a lot of money and need to spend it somewhere..  Locking up our own guys still leaves money for some splash signings and outside of Ngakoue and Scherff, I don't know who is worth throwing money at. 

I'd rather overpay for our own guy than for someone else's, if it comes down to that.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I was commenting on the one-hit wonder comment.  Two years of solid play with this year being excellent contradicts that IMO.  Of course he will be more expensive.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mark80 said:

I was commenting on the one-hit wonder comment.  Two years of solid play with this year being excellent contradicts that IMO.  Of course he will be more expensive.

It’s not two years of solid play. He played well last year in spot duty and he didn’t play the full year. This year he leads DTs in sacks. We probably got him cheaper than we should have last year and he will be more expensive than he should be after this year. Underpaid to overpaid.

If this regime is true to their word they will pay him regardless of having Oliver.   You have the money, you stated you wanted to grow within and pay people who earned.  Jordan has earned a contract.   I would have no problem with them offering him a 2 year 16 million dollar deal.  This way you show your team you arent full of crap, and you have great depth on the defensive line over the next two years before you have to pay a QB big money.

• Like (+1) 2

Guys.

If you were a 27-year old kid looking at your first (and perhaps only) shot at a massive, life-changing pay day, you wouldn't even think about re-signing before the open market comes calling.

He's in the midst of a career year and is a pink elephant of sorts: guys that big aren't typically good pass rushers, so someone is going to throw all the monies at him...and his agent knows it.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

If this regime is true to their word they will pay him regardless of having Oliver.   You have the money, you stated you wanted to grow within and pay people who earned.  Jordan has earned a contract.   I would have no problem with them offering him a 2 year 16 million dollar deal.  This way you show your team you arent full of crap, and you have great depth on the defensive line over the next two years before you have to pay a QB big money.

If he signs that deal his agent should quit.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

He is better than Harry currently...I don't understand why that would not be the case next year, especially considering they don't have all that much invested into Harrison. 

• Thank you (+1) 2