Daboll meteorology collaboration

TigerJ

While we're busy giving our critiques of everything Bills, I had a thought.  While the Bills didn't look very impressive on offense versus Washington (as they've been unimpressive all season) Daboll may be thinking ahead.  Buffalo focused on the ground game.  Josh Allen could have passed more but didn't.  Aside from the fact that it was windy on Sunday, Buffalo is heading into the time of the year when bad weather is more likely than not.  Buffalo plays Cleveland in Cleveland this coming Sunday.  Weather in Cleveland won't be any better than in Buffalo.  The forecast is for temps in the mid 40s.  A windy day with showers is expected.  While the deep passing game is exciting (and I'd love to see it make a resurgence), it's probably not going to work well in those conditions.  What's going to work is a solid run game and a controlled passing game.  While Buffalo only has 3 home games in the back half of the season, all but two of the 8 games are going to be in a norther venue.  At Miami and Dallas are the exceptions.  Daboll is gearing up for games with lousy weather by using a dull offense that reduces turnover risk and relies on the run.

8 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

While we're busy giving our critiques of everything Bills, I had a thought.  While the Bills didn't look very impressive on offense versus Washington (as they've been unimpressive all season) Daboll may be thinking ahead.  Buffalo focused on the ground game.  Josh Allen could have passed more but didn't.  Aside from the fact that it was windy on Sunday, Buffalo is heading into the time of the year when bad weather is more likely than not.  Buffalo plays Cleveland in Cleveland this coming Sunday.  Weather in Cleveland won't be any better than in Buffalo.  The forecast is for temps in the mid 40s.  A windy day with showers is expected.  While the deep passing game is exciting (and I'd love to see it make a resurgence), it's probably not going to work well in those conditions.  What's going to work is a solid run game and a controlled passing game.  While Buffalo only has 3 home games in the back half of the season, all but two of the 8 games are going to be in a norther venue.  At Miami and Dallas are the exceptions.  Daboll is gearing up for games with lousy weather by using a dull offense that reduces turnover risk and relies on the run.

I think McD and the coaching staff got together and probably reminded Daboll that his game plans cannot exclude field and weather conditions.

After the sloppy pass-heavy game against the Eagles he has leaned on the run. It could be just his demeanor, but he has seemed a bit saltier and more defensive in his pressers since that game and my theory is that he has had to accept more input into his game plans.

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think McD and the coaching staff got together and probably reminded Daboll that his game plans cannot exclude field and weather conditions.

After the sloppy pass-heavy game against the Eagles he has leaned on the run. It could be just his demeanor, but he has seemed a bit saltier and more defensive in his pressers since that game and my theory is that he has had to accept more input into his game plans.

Could very well be.  It will be interesting to see if the balance shifts more toward the pass when Buffalo plays in Miami (and in Dallas).

Edited by TigerJ

Did you watch the game Sunday?  Daboll turned a 1st and goal situation into a 42 yard field goal attempt with his BS play calling.  The three straight 1- yard attempts that he ran straight up the middle at the goal line only to get stoned every time - you cool with that?

This offense is not good enough for Daboll to be "planning ahead" for future games.  If Singletary doesn't get 20+ touches every game the rest of the season he should get fired. 

30 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Did you watch the game Sunday?  Daboll turned a 1st and goal situation into a 42 yard field goal attempt with his BS play calling.  The three straight 1- yard attempts that he ran straight up the middle at the goal line only to get stoned every time - you cool with that?

sure, lets pretend this never happened to any other team over the years.  

I hate some of Dabols play calling but there are instances where crap happens and teams go backwards instead of forward 

1 hour ago, Mc1320 said:

This offense is not good enough for Daboll to be "planning ahead" for future games.  If Singletary doesn't get 20+ touches every game the rest of the season he should get fired. 

I like how after Gore failed to make 1 yard on those three plays he rewarded him with two 4th and goals he then failed on as well. 

Daboll's  ahead of his time alright. 

44 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I hate some of Dabols play calling but there are instances where crap happens and teams go backwards instead of forward 

No, Daboll's holding this team back. He's no good. In games he keeps doing what doesn't work and refuses to continue doing what does. He just moves on to something else and does his best to avoid hot players. I've never seen anything like it. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

Yeah, that was pretty pretty bad. How about repeating the same run straight up the middle on the 4th down, we could have rolled out with Allen for an RPO and gained real yardage and selaed the game away, instead we got stopped again.

Amazing how you can get away with poor calls when you play against poor teams, that muse be how Belichek feels when he game plans versus the Bills.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Truth, there are time that their big guys win against our big guys opening holes and credit the Skins as their run blitzes were hitting the right holes in those short-yardage situations and getting into the feet of our RB, so there may be some improvements the Bills can make in how we are telegraphing those runs via personnel or alignments.

There was also an attempted sweep with McKenzie but I think Dawkins missed his assignment and let a defender walk right in and set the edge so he had no where to go and had to turn back into pursuit. Don't think the play was designed to let that happen.

Daboll owns both the plays called and how prepared the offense is to execute them so either way it is on him, but I cannot in good conscience applaud him for our red zone offense which has been very good, and then ding him because there was a red zone series that did not unfold in one game the way I would have liked.

• Like (+1) 1

Back in the No Huddle days, weather schmeather as far as stunting the Bills' passing attack in the deep of winter was concerned. Kelly routinely put up decent yardage and YPA numbers at Rich Stadium with Jack Frost nipping at his nose...just sayin.' Dabs would be wise to grow comfortable with letting Allen learn how to sling it effectively even in bad weather. That's part of why we drafted his arm, right? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00/gamelog/post/

Nfl 90s Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

49 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Back in the No Huddle days, weather schmeather as far as stunting the Bills' passing attack in the deep of winter was concerned. Kelly routinely put up decent yardage and YPA numbers at Rich Stadium with Jack Frost nipping at his nose...just sayin.' Dabs would be wise to grow comfortable with letting Allen learn how to sling it effectively even in bad weather. That's part of why we drafted his arm, right? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00/gamelog/post/

Nfl 90s Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images

You have to consider how your defense is playing too.

Also, the no huddle always had a great mix of run and pass as it normally operated using the same personnel grouping that included a running back in the backfield. Thurmal could pass protect, was excellent on delayed hand-offs with a knack for always making that first guy miss, and was a terrific receiving option. The receiving match ups Kelly wanted on offense were there because defenses could not substitute packages and personnel and had to decide if they were going to commit to stopping the run or the pass.

I don't mind slinging the rock, but on a day like we had with the Eagles where the winds are blowing and it is raining, the Eagles are steamrolling our offensive line, and our defense is getting run over, an OC has to find a way to slow that pass rush down and give the defense help by keeping that other offense off the field that means leaning on your running game more. Running Singletary once per/half is hardly even close to some kind of ground it out game that folks seem to fear.

Last week seemed like a grind it out game, but I think I read somewhere that we ran on 51% of the snaps - someone can correct me if I am wrong. Either way, I think we were just more balanced which opens up more of the passing opportunities. I am on the fence whether I like the empty backfield set as much as we use it. I like it when we spread things out, but prefer always having to have the defense think about the run being an option. 

As Josh gets better receiving tools to work with and grows as a QB that empty set will continue to become more productive - just my opinion and folks are welcome to disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, WideNine said:

I have floated that theory myself as you may have seen - at least for last week.  Dunno if it will last.

On the other hand Daboll kind of weirded me out a little bit in his most recent presser.  "Each game declares itself" what does that mean exactly?

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

There were 20 passes and over 30 runs I believe...

vs Washington: 20 pass attempts and 39 runs.

Almost inverted from the previous week vs Eagles: 34 pass attempts and 20 runs.

It reminded me a bit of last year.

Bad loss to Packers, 33 pass attempts 16 runs.

McDermott said some things about needing to control the line of scrimmage, needing to be able to run, and needing to keep Josh upright (he was sacked 7x and hit a bunch)

Next week vs Titans, 20 pass attempts and 43 runs

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

vs Washington: 20 pass attempts and 39 runs.

Almost inverted from the previous week vs Eagles: 34 pass attempts and 20 runs.

It reminded me a bit of last year.

Bad loss to Packers, 33 pass attempts 16 runs.

McDermott said some things about needing to control the line of scrimmage, needing to be able to run, and needing to keep Josh upright (he was sacked 7x and hit a bunch)

Next week vs Titans, 20 pass attempts and 43 runs

22 pass attempts (there were a couple of sacks). There were 38 pass plays the previous week. Allen was sacked 4 times by the eagles.

Edited by dave mcbride

9 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

Fired I say, fired!! In fact, fire everyone!!