What's gone wrong with the team lately and this season in general despite 5-2

BillsBlue

My biggest gripe to date for this season is the predictability of the plays that Daboll calls. I'm talking 100% of the time lee smith is in the game and wrs are bunched in, it is a run, and shotgun is almost 100% pass unless gore is next to allen to take the draw. There seems to be almost no attempt at disguising run vs. pass plays, and it makes the game plan that much more simple for opposing DC's to prepare for. When i'm at home telling my wife run or pass and getting it right the majority of the time... thats sad because i am a far, far cry from an NFL player or DC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Did they win or lose those games?

...4th quarter comeback means win does it not? I'm pointing out that your post saying "it's simple" is lazy and leads me to believe you either aren't watching the same games the rest of us are, or you have failed to take off the rose colored glasses while doing so. There is a reason a lot of fans aren't confident in this team to be a lock for the playoffs even at 5-2 and with a cake schedule for 4 weeks. This team deserves every analyst that says they aren't as good as their record indicates until they prove otherwise. Defense has been figured out, and offense can't get into a rhythm... they still need 5 wins at a minimum to make the playoffs, and I'm having a hard time seeing any slam dunks left.

4 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

...4th quarter comeback means win does it not? I'm pointing out that your post saying "it's simple" is lazy and leads me to believe you either aren't watching the same games the rest of us are, or you have failed to take off the rose colored glasses while doing so. There is a reason a lot of fans aren't confident in this team to be a lock for the playoffs even at 5-2 and with a cake schedule for 4 weeks. This team deserves every analyst that says they aren't as good as their record indicates until they prove otherwise. Defense has been figured out, and offense can't get into a rhythm... they still need 5 wins at a minimum to make the playoffs, and I'm having a hard time seeing any slam dunks left.

The defense had one bad game, and everyone panics.  I have pointed out earlier this week that I think they should free up Allen more.  I think they should play Singletary more.  I agree the offense could be better.  But it is astounding how many people overreact based on one game.  They stunk last Sunday.  Fine.  Odds are they won’t this week.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The defense had one bad game, and everyone panics.  I have pointed out earlier this week that I think they should free up Allen more.  I think they should play Singletary more.  I agree the offense could be better.  But it is astounding how many people overreact based on one game.  They stunk last Sunday.  Fine.  Odds are they won’t this week.

That's more like it! I come to this message board to see others observations and opinions (and this board is insanely good at posting breaking news). I think the bad defense stretches to the dolphins game as well... which has me concerned for facing any team going forward because you know they are going to model the dolphins and eagles until we figure out a fix for it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Conlan58 said:

That's more like it! I come to this message board to see others observations and opinions (and this board is insanely good at posting breaking news). I think the bad defense stretches to the dolphins game as well... which has me concerned for facing any team going forward because you know they are going to model the dolphins and eagles until we figure out a fix for it.

I was sitting in a bar in Orlando watching the Fish game, and we were all like What the hell?   the first half.  But then Josh got hot and the D started playing.  Fish game Fitz was the good Fitz for a while.

I think they were rusty coming off the bye week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I was sitting in a bar in Orlando watching the Fish game, and we were all like What the hell?   the first half.  But then Josh got hot and the D started playing.  Fish game Fitz was the good Fitz for a while.

I think they were rusty coming off the bye week.

I definitely agree they looked rusty. What i really want to see is a statement win. Doesn't matter to me who they do it against, but i want to see that game where they start hot, and control the game from whistle to whistle in all 3 phases of the game in a comfortable win. Doesn't even have to be a blowout where allen throws for 300 yards and 3 tds either.

Thats when i will say this team looks like they belong in the playoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nothing really has gone wrong lately per se, other than the defense hasn't played as well since coming off the bye.  The offense has been pretty much the offense its been all year...they move the ball well until they get to the opponent 40 and then tend to stall a lot, whether its because of penalties, poor execution, silly playcalling, missed opportunities, turnovers, etc.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this team is near the bottom of the NFL in lowest percentage of drives inside opponent territory that results in points. They just don't do well enough in converting these to points.  They are #1 in the league in Red Zone efficiency, but the problem is they have had only 17 trips inside the Red Zone.  A large part of the issue is the inability to hit any deep balls that would give us a quick score from anywhere on the field or at least get us down the field without having to execute a 10 or 12 play drive. 

The defense will probably get fixed in short order, but the offense may stay the same.  That SHOULD be enough to get us into the playoffs with the joke of a schedule we have and now a Denver team starting a rookie QB as Flacco hits IR. In addition to us likely facing Haskins this week who has been absolutely terrible. 

Are we some type of Super Bowl contender?  Absolutely not. 

Could we win a playoff game?  Sure, depending on how well the defense plays, I doubt the offense will be able to win it for us.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

A generally conservative HC and an OC who moves away from what has been working during games, or runs the ball against teams that have poor pass defenses or vis versa. Compiled with non consistent execution of plays.  That’s all I got...

Go Bills!!!

I don’t think McD has been conservative at all this year. He’s consistently gone for it on 4th down situations...what makes him conservative?

9 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

Good evening folks I just figured I'd point out what seems to have stood out to me personally the most while being at the Giants and eagles games and watching the them all a few times a piece. Also I'll be adding a funny story at the end about running into Fred Jackson after the eagles game in the lot outside the training facility

Please don't take this wrong ...

You and 1/4 of the board have done this.  Overreacting doesn't help anyone.  

5-2 baby.  Let's make it 6-2 !!! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

last week knocked the wind out of me as a fan with this team. as much as they did contend with the pats*, last week showed me they're not there yet. 5-2 doesn't mean much at this point other than, they're 5-2. I believe the way the offense has not been able to click on all cylinders it's going to create more losses then wins so finishing the season 8-8, 7-9 or possibly 9-7 looks inevitable at this point and no playoffs.

they just can't rise to the level and beat the contenders. struggle to beat the non contenders. put it this way, if they come out and dominate and blow away a 1-7 team as they should sunday, it may change my line of thinking as far as the direction they're going. at this point though, I'm not real confident they can do that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

last week knocked the wind out of me as a fan with this team. as much as they did contend with the pats*, last week showed me they're not there yet. 5-2 doesn't mean much at this point other than, they're 5-2. I believe the way the offense has not been able to click on all cylinders it's going to create more losses then wins so finishing the season 8-8, 7-9 or possibly 9-7 looks inevitable at this point and no playoffs.

they just can't rise to the level and beat the contenders. struggle to beat the non contenders. put it this way, if they come out and dominate and blow away a 1-7 team as they should sunday, it may change my line of thinking as far as the direction they're going. at this point though, I'm not real confident they can do that.

Yeah, they laid a huge steaming pile of ?

They had better learn from that mistake.

In most cases you can not judge a team by its early season record and many believed the Iggles to be a bad team. 

The game as horrid as it was was within their grasp.

Now people Don't mock or ridicule.   I have seen many teams overcome 10 points in 10 minutes.  

Hell,  I witnessed one in at the Ralph on a beautiful Sunny November day when they lost to the Raiders. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Success said:

Good thread. 

The offense could do a 180 with A) More Singletary, and B) More long ball.  We're really missing the long ball.  That's a game changer in a few ways, and we haven't seen it at all.

I have hope.  

My thoughts exactly, I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of what it's going to take to become an upper echelon offense and an elite defense(we are very good right now but not Elite yet) but yes much more singletary and we need an open when not guy for the long ball just from watching the games vs last year allen seems tentative to put the ball right on the receiver and overthrows for a reason imo and honestly i feel like we need to work more of the 15-25 yeard throws into the game plan because he is imo a top 5 qb in the intermediate/short "deep" route area and his short route game is pretty darn good now, hes throwing with touch that he didnt show last year 

44 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I don’t think McD has been conservative at all this year. He’s consistently gone for it on 4th down situations...what makes him conservative?

Williams, Taylor, Singletary,  etc, his reluctance/ slowness to use players that are likely to improve the team, until it has become agonizingly apparent he should use them. Stuff like that is why I said that. 

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

My biggest gripe to date for this season is the predictability of the plays that Daboll calls. I'm talking 100% of the time lee smith is in the game and wrs are bunched in, it is a run, and shotgun is almost 100% pass unless gore is next to allen to take the draw. There seems to be almost no attempt at disguising run vs. pass plays, and it makes the game plan that much more simple for opposing DC's to prepare for. When i'm at home telling my wife run or pass and getting it right the majority of the time... thats sad because i am a far, far cry from an NFL player or DC.

I agree completely and on the flip side when he does disguise and we run a nicely disguised fake and throw it from a run look with allen letting it rip on a 2 or 3 step drop someone seems to always come wide open and its a huge play for good yards. we can do it we just need to get to it haha, singletary as the 3 down back makes this possible 

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

I definitely agree they looked rusty. What i really want to see is a statement win. Doesn't matter to me who they do it against, but i want to see that game where they start hot, and control the game from whistle to whistle in all 3 phases of the game in a comfortable win. Doesn't even have to be a blowout where allen throws for 300 yards and 3 tds either.

Thats when i will say this team looks like they belong in the playoffs.

amen i agree we havent had a real statement game yet this year, maybe the lines just need time to gel idk