What's gone wrong with the team lately and this season in general despite 5-2

BillsBlue

8 hours ago, seven&nine said:

And yet the Bills have the 8th ranked rushing offense in the league.

This place really is doom & gloom after losses, huh?

Whoopty-doo.  The Bills run game is good against bottom feeders, but it's not all that good against respectable, middle of the pack teams like the Eagles, and lousy against serious defenses.

The Bills didn't lose by a FG to a great team.  They got drubbed and exposed by a decent Eagles team, not a Super Bowl contending Eagles team, losing by 18 points.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Whoopty-doo.  The Bills run game is good against bottom feeders, but it's not all that good against respectable, middle of the pack teams like the Eagles, and lousy against serious defenses.

The Bills didn't lose by a FG to a great team.  They got drubbed and exposed by a decent Eagles team, not a Super Bowl contending Eagles team, losing by 18 points.

Did we run for almost 150 against the patriots? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

I definitely agree they looked rusty. What i really want to see is a statement win. Doesn't matter to me who they do it against, but i want to see that game where they start hot, and control the game from whistle to whistle in all 3 phases of the game in a comfortable win. Doesn't even have to be a blowout where allen throws for 300 yards and 3 tds either.

Thats when i will say this team looks like they belong in the playoffs.

Wouldn't we all.  Watching the Pats right now, everyone else in the league is playing for a participation trophy.  I'm looking at this game by game, and hoping for playoffs to get this core a taste of what playoffs are like.  That will help this team in 2020, when there will be a lot more help through the draft and FA.  Worrying about more right now is meaningless, because, to quote Bill Murray in Meatballs-- "it just doesn't matter."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I was so dejected after that game the only silver lining i saw was Allen and singletary as well as john brown, milano, kroft, and beasley as well as phillips and hey I'll throw shaq a bone too. This is why I think our line both o and d needs some above average players added, 2 starting caliber de's and new o tackles move ford and dawkins inside. We need to be able to blow d lines off the ball

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Did we run for almost 150 against the patriots? 

No, the Bills ran for 135 yards and 1 TD in 22 attempts against the Pats, 26 of those yards and the TD coming from 5 Allen runs.  That means that the RBs -- ie, Frank Gore -- ran for 109 yards in 17 attempts.  Even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and again.  Gore hasn't come close to that production before or since the Pats game. 

First of all, very few people expected this team to win more than 10 games this season.  We are currently on pace (depending on the Washington game) to win 10-12.  Nothing is going wrong, other than a bad game against a really good opponent.

Second, the Defense has been good/great for the majority of the season.  Most would consider it a Top 3 unit in the NFL.  It is not a problem or a liability, and we don't need a total overhaul on our Front 7.  We have literally had ONE bad game (out of seven this season), and Bills fans are suddenly screaming that our pass rushers are ineffective, our tackles are terrible/undersized, our linebackers are out of position, and our scheme is not flexible enough.  This is a total overreaction, and I believe they will make the necessary adjustments against their next opponents.

Our biggest problem this year has been an offense that turns the ball over, and cannot score enough points.  

Strangely enough, the team ranks in the middle of the league in actual yardage and moving the ball.  And they are among the best in Red Zone percentage.

This tells me the problem isn't ability.  It's consistency.   Each game we have drives that go 30-40 yards, and then suddenly stall.  Each game we have 1-2 really good scoring drives, but then struggle badly for 2-3 straight drives and can't get anything going. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that our young QB is also wildly inconsistent.  Last year he was hitting lots of downfield passes, but struggling with accuracy/efficiency on the short stuff.  This year he's improved drastically on the short/medium throws, but can't hit the deep ball.  In the first few games, he was playing more aggressive and passing for more yardage.  But he was making stupid mistakes and throwing too many picks.  Which killed too many drives.  Now he's being more careful with the ball.  But that is leading to more sacks and less yardage.  Which is killing too many drives.

We are seeing EVERYTHING we need from Josh Allen.  It's just happening in spurts.

If he can find balance to his conservative/aggressive play, and start putting together full games, the Bills are going to start winning more convincingly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

last week knocked the wind out of me as a fan with this team. as much as they did contend with the pats*, last week showed me they're not there yet. 5-2 doesn't mean much at this point other than, they're 5-2. I believe the way the offense has not been able to click on all cylinders it's going to create more losses then wins so finishing the season 8-8, 7-9 or possibly 9-7 looks inevitable at this point and no playoffs.

they just can't rise to the level and beat the contenders. struggle to beat the non contenders. put it this way, if they come out and dominate and blow away a 1-7 team as they should sunday, it may change my line of thinking as far as the direction they're going. at this point though, I'm not real confident they can do that.

I kinda feel the same way.  It was only one game, but the Eagles game confirmed a lot of fears many have had about this team.  The offense simply cannot score enough points to win consistently in the NFL, and certainly not enough to beat good teams.  

We have zero big strike ability; in order to score TDs, we need to put together long, sustained drives with no big penalties, sacks or turnovers.  It only happens a couple times per game and that’s just not enough to beat good teams, like Philly.  It’s the same small ball, popgun offense we’re used to seeing and it doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to change.  Not only is it not going to beat good teams, it’s boring as hell to watch.  

The good news is that we play mostly bad teams this year, and with our defense and a little luck, this sad offense might be good enough to get to 10-6.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No, the Bills ran for 135 yards and 1 TD in 22 attempts against the Pats, 26 of those yards and the TD coming from 5 Allen runs.  That means that the RBs -- ie, Frank Gore -- ran for 109 yards in 17 attempts.  Even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and again.  Gore hasn't come close to that production before or since the Pats game. 

You said: the Bills' run game is "lousy against serious defenses."  Those numbers indicate he ran for over 5 yards per carry. And, since we are on the topic, against the second best defense the bills played, the Titans, they ran for 4.0 yards per carry.

You can't possibly think any of what you are claiming makes any sense.   

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I assume that was a pretty embarrassing moment for @SoTier

LOL.  See above.  I'll stand by what I wrote.   The Bills didn't even run for 100 yards (actually 98) total against the Eagles.  They piled up all of 102 rushing yards against the Titans (a good defensive team).   If not for Allen's rushing production, the Bills wouldn't be ranked anywhere near the top ten in rushing.

LOL.  See above.  I'll stand by what I wrote.   The Bills didn't even run for 100 yards (actually 98) total against the Eagles.  They piled up all of 102 rushing yards against the Titans (a good defensive team).   If not for Allen's rushing production, the Bills wouldn't be ranked anywhere near the top ten in rushing.

Do you know the difference between total rushing yards and ypc, and why that matters? Serious question. I just don't think you can believe what you originally wrote if you understand the difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You said: the Bills' run game is "lousy against serious defenses."  Those numbers indicate he ran for over 5 yards per carry. And, since we are on the topic, against the second best defense the bills played, the Titans, they ran for 4.0 yards per carry.

You can't possibly think any of what you are claiming makes any sense.   

Bingo.  Never let facts get in the way of opinion by some around here.  When you point out the obvious, that he was mistaken, then you get the deflections.  Sad, really.

Want to really get him going bring up how he thinks the Pegulas only are interested in money, and how he likes to mash together all of what happened under Wilson with what happens with the Pegulas as if nothing change d in the organization.  That's always good for a laugh or two.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Yeah, let's just randomly eliminate data that doesn't fit your narrative.  That makes sense.  I guess that means the Ravens would rank near the bottom if you take away Jackson's yards?

2 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

I definitely agree they looked rusty. What i really want to see is a statement win. Doesn't matter to me who they do it against, but i want to see that game where they start hot, and control the game from whistle to whistle in all 3 phases of the game in a comfortable win. Doesn't even have to be a blowout where allen throws for 300 yards and 3 tds either.

Thats when i will say this team looks like they belong in the playoffs.

and what if we don’t really see a “statement game”, but win 11 games And a Playoff Game? You won’t be satisfied? 

Then you’re welcome to jump off the bandwagon.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Bingo.  Never let facts get in the way of opinion by some around here.  When you point out the obvious, that he was mistaken, then you get the deflections.  Sad, really.

Want to really get him going bring up how he thinks the Pegulas only are interested in money, and how he likes to mash together all of what happened under Wilson with what happens with the Pegulas as if nothing change d in the organization.  That's always good for a laugh or two.

Yeah, let's just randomly eliminate data that doesn't fit your narrative.  That makes sense.  I guess that means the Ravens would rank near the bottom if you take away Jackson's yards?

Its just, why would someone come to a message board just to complain.  Don't people want to learn? I have learned soooo much about football from my time on message boards, but its because occasionally I have to acknowledge that I am wrong, and then learn why.  If that is not what you are doing here, why even post? It seems like such a massive waste of time. 

Like, the other day someone told me Star was bad because he lined up at an angle as the 1-tech. Or a guy that doesn't understand the concept of gap assignments. That is like @SoTier levels of not understanding the game. 

• Like (+1) 2

The more I read Bills fans (and I include myself among them) giving their analysis of what's wrong, their evaluations of players and coaches, and in particular their prescriptions for what the team needs to do differently . . . .

. . . the more glad I am that they have no control over what the team does. Fans are not rational, they ride hobby horses, they ignore complexity, they focus on some things and ignore others, they react emotionally, they live in a fantasy world. 

Whenever I read one of these breakdowns I find at least a couple of opinions that call into question the opininator's vision, reasoning ability, or sanity. If this is the level of reasoning ability of the average American, no wonder we have the government we have. 

And yes, as I said, that includes me, too. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

The more I read Bills fans (and I include myself among them) giving their analysis of what's wrong, their evaluations of players and coaches, and in particular their prescriptions for what the team needs to do differently . . . .

. . . the more glad I am that they have no control over what the team does. Fans are not rational, they ride hobby horses, they ignore complexity, they focus on some things and ignore others, they react emotionally, they live in a fantasy world. 

Whenever I read one of these breakdowns I find at least a couple of opinions that call into question the opininator's ability vision, reasoning ability, or sanity. If this is the level of reasoning ability of the average American, no wonder we have the government we have. 

And yes, as I said, that includes me, too. 

I'm just stating what I see when I watch the games in person and on the TV, my opinion may be wrong it may be right but I'm totally sane and I'm calling out what I see as holding the team back. I think we're heading in the right direction and are a handful of above average players away from being real sb contenders. That's my take and I think Beane and co make it right this off-season and draft just my 2 cents. Yes there's a lot to be positive about and these are my only gripes with the roster and play calling etc. I could make a whole post about what I like and see as awesome but that stuff is obvious to everyone. I gave my spin on things and what seems to need Improvement, also I'm not counting out that hey maybe the line gels a bit more on o and d. 

4 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

I'm just stating what I see when I watch the games in person and on the TV, my opinion may be wrong it may be right but I'm totally sane and I'm calling out what I see as holding the team back. I think we're heading in the right direction and are a handful of above average players away from being real sb contenders. That's my take and I think Beane and co make it right this off-season and draft just my 2 cents. Yes there's a lot to be positive about and these are my only gripes with the roster and play calling etc. I could make a whole post about what I like and see as awesome but that stuff is obvious to everyone. I gave my spin on things and what seems to need Improvement, also I'm not counting out that hey maybe the line gels a bit more on o and d. 

I wasn't meaning to single  you out. You may be right about everything you say.

I thought it was funny, after the Eagles game, reading all the hysterical pronouncements: the Bills needed to run  more, they needed to forget running and pass more, they needed to throw the long ball, they needed to get rid of Haushka, they needed to get AJ Green, they needed to get Trent Williams, they needed to fire Dabol, they don''t care about scoring points . . . etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its just, why would someone come to a message board just to complain.  Don't people want to learn? I have learned soooo much about football from my time on message boards, but its because occasionally I have to acknowledge that I am wrong, and then learn why.  If that is not what you are doing here, why even post? It seems like such a massive waste of time. 

Like, the other day someone told me Star was bad because he lined up at an angle as the 1-tech. Or a guy that doesn't understand the concept of gap assignments. That is like @SoTier levels of not understanding the game. 

Social media is full of minds that think the world operates in black or white and there are no shades of grey, when in reality everything operates in shades of grey. Aren’t I thoughtful ? ????

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

i was losing my ish watching the philly game.

what i realize now after look back over some stuff, the D really didn't show up for the second half, was solid for the most part in the first half.

the O was a tire fire all day.  motor might as well not be on the team even tho he's shown ability as our best offensive weapon, and we very seldom fool the d unless we are in the red zone.

penalties are our biggest issue tho.  pre snap stuff, sloppy holding when it isn't even a big impact on the play, just kills us.

i really think we aren't doing things smartly enough as a coaching staff.  not being good in the 3rd quarter shows a lack of adjustments, and on O we have everything set up to pass, we are like top 3 in terms of % plays which are passes/drop backs.  between qb and WRs (and pass blocking, but less so) we just aren't good enough at it and the results show it.

the players need to execute better obviously, but offensively we need to get the ship running right and in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1