What's gone wrong with the team lately and this season in general despite 5-2

BillsBlue

56 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Good evening folks I just figured I'd point out what seems to have stood out to me personally the most while being at the Giants and eagles games and watching the them all a few times a piece. Also I'll be adding a funny story at the end about running into Fred Jackson after the eagles game in the lot outside the training facility. 

1- The offensive line looks downright bad/awful way too often. There's a reason Allen's fumbled so much this year and last year. He's being jailbroken and gang tackled way way too often. Dawkins needs to be cut this coming off season. Morse is average to slightly above average he's a keeper. We need to replace everyone on the line not named morse. I'm sorry to hurt feelings but these 4 other guys should not be starting in the NFL period. 

2- Kroft looks like the answer at tight end he's looked stellar in the small sample that we saw this week. He knows how to get open. 

3- Our special teams coordinator needs to be fired immediately. How do we have this many blocked kicks against us in a season. This is a catastrophe and teams are taking note and exploiting it with great success. It needs to be fixed now.

4- I hate to say it but we need to let Jerry Hughes and Trent go this off-season. Neither have been effective this season. Shaq looks better than either at this point he's flashed  more speed and power than either of them and actually gets the qb down. I think Jordan Phillips is a stud and he's a nice rotation with Oliver, but we need a prime time edge rusher in the worst way heck we need 2 of them it's unnaceptable that Shaq is our best atm.

5-Play singletary he's got the bulk to be a 3 down back(he's short but a mjd type imo) and he would make our offense much more unpredictable. We've been here before with past rosters. If you don't have a 3 down back teams can key on pass or run and shut you down. Gore is solid but let singletary tire them out and then let Gore mop up coach has it backwards right now. 

6-  We desperately need an open when he's not type of #1 wide receiver for an offense with Josh Allen at qb to be successful. Josh is tentative to trust any of our deep ball targets this season and I don't blame him. None of them are built to go up and get it. Duke is a nice 4th wr option and red zone threat but we don't have someone who can stretch the field and also go up and get it, dukes too slow for that and browns too small and is a perfect #2 a peerless price type.  Browns a precision route runner with great hands but he's not a jump ball/ bully the cb guy. We need someone who Allen is comfortable with throwing bombs to such as a Julio or Mike Evans type. Eli had Plax and Allen needs something along those lines to get to the next level with the deep ball(I'm talking bombs here folks). 

7- Edmunds needs to replace Lorenzo and we need to get a better more instinctual mlb. I know this will hurt feelings but hey I see Edmunds lost a lot out there we need to let him use his athleticism and not his melon so often. We need a cj Mosely type for the mlb spot.  

That's my assessment take it for what it's worth haha roast me for whatever seems outlandish lol. 

Here's my quick story about Fred this past Sunday....

I saw Fred getting out of his Cadillac as my buddy and I left the game and walked to our lot as we walked by the field house. He had all blue from pants to hoodie and it was the standing buffalo on everything just like I was wearing haha. He was trying not to be seen but him and I locked eyes for a second(we were about 20 feet apart) and he could tell I recognized him. I say Fred!?!? He notions me over to him and we chatted for a minute or 2 and he was one of the most humble and kind players I've ever met(same as Fitz and jp as well as Byrd and George Wilson...Kyle all class acts...I met Fred before and got an autograph). He let me get a pic with him and then I said " Fred you're my father's favorite player of all time in the NFL and thanks for all the awesome memories, God bless you and your family." He responded by shaking my hand and then slapped my ass as if I just made a big play and walked off to the training center. 

Priceless- it made up for how crappy the game went ????

Cheer up everyone Beanes gonna put us over the top this off-season and draft, then we'll be real contenders. This season is the final test run and tune up, next year we trade the Corvette in on a Ferrari and take the league by storm. Cheers I'm going to bed. 

Yes we need to blow up a 5 and 2 team stupid stupid stupid

We need to add pieces to the team.....not blow it up

Just now, Pokebball said:

Remove Allens yards

Why should we do that.....its part of the offense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm glad someone gets it ?

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

Remove Allens yards

Exactlyyyyytt my drift

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes we need to blow up a 5 and 2 team stupid stupid stupid

We need to add pieces to the team.....not blow it up

Why should we do that.....its part of the offense

I'm not saying to blow it up I'm saying put the icing on the cake, average players at any position are unnaceptable these days okay I take that back partially, average to below average starting left and right tackles are unnaceptable as well as at the other key positions like edge and #1 wr. 

I know this will not be popular in this thread, but I believe the Bills have not played their best football yet this season. 

The O-line play--guys were getting absolutely blown up last year.  Russ Bodine, Jordan Mills, Vlad??...Morse, TY/Ford and Feliciano are serious upgrades.  The Bills are better up front...

The play calling has been good at times but mostly what I call "cute" -- not gimmicky but not the way I would call a game.  Coach McD wants a physical, tough team and Daboll sometimes wants to show us he's a genius.  Let the big O-line just be physical a little more...try a game where we use the run to set up the play action rather than the reverse..which I have seen a couple of times this year.

Josh is progressing...he had the least game experience of any other rookie QB in his class.  He is on a pretty fast progression all things considered--but running a bit more may help that.

On D--Zone blocking has killed the Bills and the phins exposed this...Bills need to show they can adjust.

Bottom line, I think there is better football in the Bills future this year.

Edited by JoeF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In a time warp. Changed a short mobile QB for a tall mobile QB.....same results.

Trusted a defective d line for another. Replaced RB's for other RB's. And the coach is not sure.

If the coach is blown out 3-4 x more this season. He's not a solution to this team.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

I know this will not be popular in this thread, but I believe the Bills have not played their best football yet this season. 

The O-line play--guys were getting absolutely blown up last year.  Russ Bodine, Jordan Mills, Vlad??...Morse, TY/Ford and Feliciano are serious upgrades.  The Bills are better up front...

The play calling has been good at times but mostly what I call "cute" -- not gimmicky but not the way I would call a game.  Coach McD wants a physical, tough team and Daboll sometimes wants to show us he's a genius.  Let the big O-line just be physical a little more...try a game where we use the run to set up the play action rather than the reverse..which I have seen a couple of times this year.

Josh is progressing...he had the least game experience of any other rookie QB.  He is on a pretty fast progression all things considered--but running a bit more may help that.

Bottom line, I think there is better football in the Bills future this year.

On the contrary I welcome this take too and agree with parts of it, while yes the line is improved I feel like Morse and Dawkins/Ford are the only keepers and that I'd move Ford and Dawkins inside . We need to be able to dominate the los like I said average doesn't cut it at ot imo and yes I think we've yet to play a complete game and that there's better to come . I don't think the sky is falling I just see opportunities to improve and become a truly dominant team in the league. Remember this the NFC is much more competitive than the AFC right now. We need to build to get all the way through the playoffs not just get there. Awesome response thanks

1 minute ago, BillsBlue said:

On the contrary I welcome this take too and agree with parts of it, while yes the line is improved I feel like Morse and Dawkins/Ford are the only keepers and that I'd move Ford and Dawkins inside . We need to be able to dominate the los like I said average doesn't cut it at ot imo and yes I think we've yet to play a complete game and that there's better to come . I don't think the sky is falling I just see opportunities to improve and become a truly dominant team in the league. Remember this the NFC is much more competitive than the AFC right now. We need to build to get all the way through the playoffs not just get there. Awesome response thanks

Its not a finished product

We just went through a full rebiulding process....no more half ass measures with band aids.....and came out the other side of it with a ton of cap space.....a promising young qb......and 2 solid drafts.

The result?  A 5 and 2 season and all arrows point to the playoffs

This next off season....lots of offensive threat free agents.....a ton of cap space......and another draft

I know fans patience have been tested......more is needed.  We are NOT winning the super bowl this year.....we WILL make the playoffs.

A legit 1 WR

Another OT

improved backups at LB

youngsters getting more NFL experience

I think next year is the year we make the real push

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its not a finished product

We just went through a full rebiulding process....no more half ass measures with band aids.....and came out the other side of it with a ton of cap space.....a promising young qb......and 2 solid drafts.

The result?  A 5 and 2 season and all arrows point to the playoffs

This next off season....lots of offensive threat free agents.....a ton of cap space......and another draft

I know fans patience have been tested......more is needed.  We are NOT winning the super bowl this year.....we WILL make the playoffs.

A legit 1 WR

Another OT

improved backups at LB

youngsters getting more NFL experience

I think next year is the year we make the real push

I agree Allen is on Pace and there's a lot to be excited about. I also agree next year is the year that we contend

1 hour ago, BillsBlue said:

We know Josh can hit on the deep ball he did it last year very well down the stretch, I don't know if the coaches just have him air it out and overthrow on purpose to cut down interceptions or if he doesn't trust his guy to come down with the ball but something's off and I don't buy that he can't hit those throws. 

Maybe it's the play calling and a mix of the online but we don't seem to manhandle anyone and we've been bad against the pass again I think Josh masks a lot of deficiencies between his own rushing and scrambling

You're right about something being off on deep throws. Josh. I can't believe someone really wrote that he thinks the coaches have him overthrow on purpose! Wow, just wow! It's ok to call out Josh on his lack of long ball accuracy. Really, it's ok.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

Remove Allens yards

Weak take. Here’s a weaker one -remove his passing yards. The majority of Allen’s runs are by design or his vision -whether he sees 1st down yardage can be gained by tucking & running. At 6’5”, 245 lbs, he’s quick, agile as all ‘get out’ and brings a punch. With rare skills like these at QB, no, you don’t “Remove Allen’s yards”. It’s absolutely a playbook feature.

#kt.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It has. And Dawkins after a slow start has put 3 really nice games together. 

I predicted a slow start for this OL even though we had some good pickups.......to me it looks like they are picking up steam.

I feel like Debol's play calling hasnt been that great......11 carries on a windy day in Buffalo?

• Thank you (+1) 1

What's gone wrong?

At 5-2, not all that much. Things could certainly get worse. Or better. But right now we are coming off a bad game but beyond that they could easily be just fine.

IMO they aren't quite as good as people thought they were. But still a very very good defense and an offense with some problems.

• Like (+1) 2

Eagles game sadly looked like last year’s team.

Defense is either stout or gets gashed all game long. There seems to be no in-between, which tells me our in-game adjustments on defense are basically non-existent.

I agree with the OP that a lot of Allen’s fumbles are on the O-line. The tackles seem to get pushed into Allen and his arm gets chopped. Good tackles tend to keep their man on a path outside and around the QB, they don’t just get backed into him.

Not only do we need a #1 receiver in the worst way, we need depth. What does this team do if John Brown gets injured? As far as the deep ball goes, the teams that complete that play have receivers that are good at tracking the ball deep. Bills have a couple speedy receivers, but they can’t seem to adjust and make plays on deep balls. Watch Desean Jackson hit that extra gear on an “overthrown” ball and haul it in. Allen threw basically a perfect pass to Robert Foster last week and he either lost the ball or couldn’t make a simple catch on a ball that landed at his feet.

DE is a major need. We can’t get to the QB unless we blitz a DB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

What's gone wrong?

At 5-2, not all that much. Things could certainly get worse. Or better. But right now we are coming off a bad game but beyond that they could easily be just fine.

IMO they aren't quite as good as people thought they were. But still a very very good defense and an offense with some problems.

Couldn't have said it better, I still think the playoff is a very real possibility but a year or two from contention.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Allen threw basically a perfect pass to Robert Foster last week and he either lost the ball or couldn’t make a simple catch on a ball that landed at his feet.

A perfect pass?  It was literally several yards behind him lmao

A perfect pass hits him in stride.  we had no business throwing deep in that wind with, to date, one of the most inaccurate deep ball passers in the NFL.  Activating Foster and deactivating the twitchy quick McKenzie for a game being played in a small hurricane was a bonehead coaching decision.  Jet sweeps could have been weaponized

• Like (+1) 1