A lesson learned? It is not all about Defense

17 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

31.  Points allowed by the D.  QBR never tells the whole story.  Let it go.  

Yep D was garbage.

And when the going got tough, down 13-24, exactly what happened with the franchise QB ?

* 3 & Out for 6 yards

* 6 & Out for 14 yards

* 3 & Out for 0 yards

* 3 & Out for -12 yards

* 4 & Out for 6 yards

Total for the CRITICAL last 1.5 Quarters?

5 Series, 19 Plays for 14 Yards!

What part of that doesn’t scream inept?

The Bills are in a very bad place!

They can’t throw long and they have been found out.

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Yep D was garbage.

And when the going got tough, down 13-24, exactly what happened with the franchise QB ?

* 3 & Out for 6 yards

* 6 & Out for 14 yards

* 3 & Out for 0 yards

* 3 & Out for -12 yards

* 4 & Out for 6 yards

Total for the CRITICAL last 1.5 Quarters?

5 Series, 19 Plays for 14 Yards!

What part of that doesn’t scream inept?

The Bills are in a very bad place!

They can’t throw long and they have been found out.

I think Johnson during the telecast pointed out long throws make up less than 5% of offensive plays.

Allen needed to be better today, but the ineptness the second half to me involved the O line getting killed.  

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Today was defensive and offensive faults and because of being dominated up front.  Winning football happens up front as it has since football was invented.

We scored 13 points. We would be 0-6 with that offensive performance every week.

Edited by BringBackOrton

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

We scored 13 points. 

And gave up over 30.  And both lines stunk.  Which is the primary reason we only scored 14 and gave up what we gave up.

Are you going to seriously say that the line play had nothing to do with today’s outcome?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And gave up over 30.  And both lines stunk.  Which is the primary reason we only scored 14 and gave up what we gave up.

Are you going to seriously say that the line play had nothing to do with today’s outcome?

It had something to do with it. So did the defense allowing 30+. But AGAIN, the defense has bailed out the offense plenty all year. The one game the defense DOESNT bail out the offense, and we were done 4 minutes after halftime. 

THAT’S the point.

Lesson learned??  Did anyone think it WAS all about defense BEFORE this game?

i swear, the ridiculous things people post just so they can start a thread is mind bottling. 

Edited by dubs
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

It had something to do with it. So did the defense allowing 30+. But AGAIN, the defense has bailed out the offense plenty all year. The one game the defense DOESNT bail out the offense, and we were done 4 minutes after halftime. 

THAT’S the point.

And that’s because of multiple factors, the line getting blown up a main one.  And play calling another.  And Allen as another.

Not just Allen.

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The concerning thing is year 3 into the regime and they are still getting out coached and overmatched against certain teams..... that shouldn't be happening at this point, IMO.

This is a valid point, and I completely agree.  Doug Pederson is a good coach, who out schemed McD...in all three phases.  Brian Flores even out schemed McD last week (he saw the weakness in the middle of our DL) and gashed us in the run game; Miami just didn't have the personnel to pull the game out.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but it’s the “multiple factors” and “line getting blown up” (both sides) part that I think he’s trying to argue - and you do seem to be arguing otherwise.

Yeah I think you’re wrong. I don’t know when the offensive line wasn’t a part of the offense. And I’m pretty sure I said the defense couldn’t bail us out today, which implied they didn’t play to their normal level. 

3 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

They were great, then after the bye week, they became sloppy. In this case, having a great defense ended up being a detriment. Daboll relied too much on our D, and today we paid for it

I beg to differ - great is a stretch by any measure

2 hours ago, vorpma said:

We lost a fricking game and are 5 - 2, let's not turn into drama queens and go into meltdown! Naturally we have to hang someone to vent our emotions! It's like a 1960's Soap Opera and a 1950's western combined!

a true drama queen could put it no better.  

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is a valid point, and I completely agree.  Doug Pederson is a good coach, who out schemed McD...in all three phases.  Brian Flores even out schemed McD last week (he saw the weakness in the middle of our DL) and gashed us in the run game; Miami just didn't have the personnel to pull the game out.

This is my biggest issue. I like the McBeane regime. They took us to the playoffs, and restored direction to this franchise. McDermott was able to take a 2017 squad with very little talent to the playoffs. That says a lot about the guy as a coach. However, my concern is the fact that McDermott teams continue to suffer blow out losses at home against quality opponents. That’s not supposed to happen to decent NFL teams. McDermott and his coaching staff continue to get outschemed and outcoached against good opponents. 

1 minute ago, BuffaninATL said:

I beg to differ - great is a stretch by any measure

They were playing as good as they could before the bye week, even against the Pats. Somehow, it seems they took a huge step backwards. If the same D that played the Pats played today, would probably have been a different outcome

Again the Bills need to figure out whether they have a franchise qb.  Is Allen Drew Brees or Blake Bortles.  Jacksonville spun it's wheels thinking they had a an Elite defense and could win with Blake Bortles (who at least did have 300 yard passing games).  It was a huge mistake & now they are starting over......

I think Allen could be very good, but watching this offense and how Daboll & McClappy built & run it, makes me wonder if we'll ever know.  

BTW look too at the Bears & Trubinsky and expecting the D to allow 10 points or less......  

Edited by Billsfan1972

So before the bye week this Defense was so good, that all the Offense needed to do was ground & pound, make no mistakes & 14-20 points would be enough to win week after week.

Too lazy to find those posts, but there were many.

Now it is back to worrying about JA.......

You guys crack me up.....