A lesson learned? It is not all about Defense

With this schedule, those kinds of wins may be sustainable. This team isn’t good enough to win the kind kind of game you describe as we saw today. Still several players away from that, so brace yourself. You’re going to see more of what you’ve seen this year to date because that will beat the many poor teams on the schedule. 

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Was so tired of being shouted down when I and others say they want to see what the offense has & that 14-10 wins are not sustainable.

This team was 5-1 and I was upset with how they play & the coaching philosophy and today it was on full display. 

5 ugly wins and today no sense of purpose until the third quarter.   The drive to get it to 17-13 was the only time the Bills looked really in-sync.  

I want the Bills to come out wanting to throw for 300+ & score 30+ points.

Been a long time since that was the mindset (yes scored over 40 vs. NYJ & Miami last year)......  

The O didnt give up 31...which could have been much worse if the Eagles had wanted to run it up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Was so tired of being shouted down when I and others say they want to see what the offense has & that 14-10 wins are not sustainable.

This team was 5-1 and I was upset with how they play & the coaching philosophy and today it was on full display. 

5 ugly wins and today no sense of purpose until the third quarter.   The drive to get it to 17-13 was the only time the Bills looked really in-sync.  

I want the Bills to come out wanting to throw for 300+ & score 30+ points.

Been a long time since that was the mindset (yes scored over 40 vs. NYJ & Miami last year)......  

i want to be a millionaire but some things just aren’t realistic 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep waiting for those to tell me.....  "I don't care about the offense or watching an exciting/enjoyable game......  All I want is a win and 10-7 is perfectly fine".....

300 yards passing and exciting offense is great, but this team can’t do it. I’m not going to expect it the rest of the way. 

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep waiting for those to tell me.....  "I don't care about the offense or watching an exciting/enjoyable game......  All I want is a win and 10-7 is perfectly fine".....

If you can only enjoy offensive wins that’s on you. What are you 12? I’ve been plenty entertained and excited this year. Winning is really REALLY fun. 

Poor team loss today. On to next week and a “get right” game for 6-2 at the midway point. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I'm not sure what this means... If the defense plays the way they have to date, we win this game. Defense isn't everything, but it wasn't anything today. 

We were thoroughly out-schemed today defensively and that's a problem. I expected the pass rush to be the culprit, but that wasn't really the case. They were "fine." I still have many doubts about Frazier. The defense went through a similar skid in 2017. This game reminded me quite a bit of the Saints game in 2017 when we just got steamrolled. They ended up rebounding, so my hope is that will be the case once again. Still, I'm not sure who's actually calling the shots on D, but if it's Frazier, McDermott needs to jump in and take some control back.

The offense and specifically JA hasn't demonstrated the ability to match points with points. Unless the D is playing extremely well, the Bills are vulnerable against ANY opponent. 

Allen has to become more efficient and productive. Alot of blame to go around, but he's not immune. Offense also needs a "playmaker." There's still hope that Singletary can be that guy. I had my doubts coming in and those doubts remain. 

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree back atcha.  But add a third:  while we had some ineffective play from our O, that 8 1/2 minute drive we gave up in the 4th was a back breaker.

Is that the drive that directly followed the special teams fumble recovery? Honestly can't recall. 

At that point in the game, the offense NEEDED to flip that TO into a TD. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

28 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Possibly below average.  Not encouraging.

Or the D right?  Pretty obvious the D blew the game today and almost lost to Miami last week.  Allen isn't the problem.  Ironically, right now the D is.

D was a problem today, without question. The offense was gifted a fumble recovery deep in PHL territory and couldn’t do anything. That was the beginning of the end of this game. Totally different after that. They just couldn’t hang and the D was gashed, then gassed. 

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

If you can only enjoy offensive wins that’s on you. What are you 12? I’ve been plenty entertained and excited this year. Winning is really REALLY fun. 

Poor team loss today. On to next week and a “get right” game for 6-2 at the midway point. 

No the Bills have not been exciting this year.  Every game has been pretty much a slog to watch, unless you are a Bills fan.

They do not play exciting/fun to watch football.

They have a mindset to play 14-10 games......  And no not fun to watch.   

• Sad 2