How old is too old to get in a fight?

Was carpooling with another hockey Dad friend on the way to Montpelier today, and he was telling me how he was up at a comedy show on the mountain last weekend and some drunk idiot literally squoze his wife’s boob!! 

I guess they were on the way out to the car after the show and this dude (who was obnoxiously hammered all night I guess) just gave it a honk ?

This made me think though.  I think I would HAVE to fight that guy if it was my wife.  Right?!  Even if he was bigger than me, I’d have to at least make an effort.  *****’s crazy...

I’m 40 btw

Discuss....

• Like (+1) 1

Use your words! 

Call the cops and get him arrested. I hope that’s what I’d do. Follow him if you have to, and if he’s driving he’ll get the DUI to boot. 

My wife went to a sorority girls weekend at Isle of Palms last weekend. One girl was out on the town, and her ex knew it. She (yes, she the ex) called the police to have the cops waiting for her at the house when she got home. Now she’s dealing with a DUI. Uber is your friend! 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Was carpooling with another hockey Dad friend on the way to Montpelier today, and he was telling me how he was up at a comedy show on the mountain last weekend and some drunk idiot literally squoze his wife’s boob!! 

I guess they were on the way out to the car after the show and this dude (who was obnoxiously hammered all night I guess) just gave it a honk ?

This made me think though.  I think I would HAVE to fight that guy if it was my wife.  Right?!  Even if he was bigger than me, I’d have to at least make an effort.  *****’s crazy...

I’m 40 btw

Discuss....

Had something quite similar happen at a summer party many years ago.  The wife did not tell me until a couple weeks afterward.  The guy was a businessman so of course he got dropped from our patronage.

There’s no age limit. The number of reasons I may punch somebody in the throat has dwindled significantly over the years but it still includes somebody physically assaulting my dog or doing something to my daughter. Nothing else really bothers me. I’d probably intervene if I ever saw blatant xenophobia/racism out in public to the magnitude of viral video levels but I’ll cross that bridge if that day ever comes. I’m not trying to lose my job over something that doesn’t involve me but I have no tolerance for that.

I’ve had to drag my wife away from fights, though. She’s very protective of our daughter. We were at the park and there was this trash family there, vulgarly talking and gesturing loudly around the kids and not watching their children misbehave on the playground. We had made the decision to leave and go to a different park when one of their kids bulldozes into our daughter, seemingly on purpose. One of the adults yells over something vulgar about our (then five year old) daughter “watching where the eff she was going.” I knew my wife was already annoyed at this family but that was the last straw. I had to literally drag her to the car. I hope those people realize I probably saved their lives that day because my wife will not step when she loses control until you’re in the hospital.

Edited by eanyills
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m 40 btw

Discuss....

For my 40th birthday, we had a big bash at the house.  Everyone there were close friends and everyone knew each other to some extent.

One of my buddies grabbed a girl's boob.  It was his (then) wife's best friend.  The girl's boyfriend did not see it happen, but found out about it shortly after it occurred. Her boyfriend is one of the easiest going, mellow guys I know.  He didn't do anything.  There were at least two other guys who wanted to kick the boob grabber's ass, but nothing came close to materializing.

Apparently, the next morning, the girl's boyfriend had to be talked out of going to the boob grabber's house. He wanted to kick his ass.

If it was my significant other who had her boob grabbed, I don't think I'd fight a guy.  I know for a fact that I would have words and that my voice would be raised.  But I don't think I'd actually fight (unless he threw the first punch).

I don't think there's a maximum age, per se, for getting into a fight.  I do think, however, that it should take A LOT for a 40 year old man to want to start one.

There are exceptions to every rule, but IMO fighting generally becomes both unwise and inappropriate somewhere in your 20s. Last time I got in a fight I was 25 and felt like I was getting too old for that *****. 

My brother's in his mid 30s, is in great shape, and is fully capable of handling himself in a fight. He recently had an opportunity to get in a bar fight when his gf went off on some 50 yr old drunk a-hole for sloppily hitting on her and her friends while married.

Rather than join the drama and escalate the situation, my brother de-escalated and reminded her that this guy is inconsequential in her life and his marital situation is none of her concern. Instead of brawling, he ended up having a chuckle with the dude's friend about dude's lack of skills with women, and that was that. No one got hurt and no one went to jail.

After the fact he learned that the drunk a-hole was Jay Gruden.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Haha (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

Use your words! 

Call the cops and get him arrested. I hope that’s what I’d do. Follow him if you have to, and if he’s driving he’ll get the DUI to boot. 

My wife went to a sorority girls weekend at Isle of Palms last weekend. One girl was out on the town, and her ex knew it. She (yes, she the ex) called the police to have the cops waiting for her at the house when she got home. Now she’s dealing with a DUI. Uber is your friend! 

:lol:

Yeah....the answer to the question is 16.  Now, if you have to kill someone that's a completely different story.  But a fight is just for trash.

But the OPs story reminded me of a time a few of us were standing in front of our building in NYC, including a married couple I worked with.  This guy who worked in the building and was very friendly but somewhat mentally unsound walked up and gave her boob a full on squeeze.  We all laughed out asses off for about a week.

What great timing.  The bride and I are out to her alma mater for the Pittsburgh Hurricanes game.  She's a Pitt grad and I'm simply a Hurricanes fan.  I've been wearing my gear since Friday and have had very little grief.  I just hit 40 and have much less desire to resort to fisticuffs than I have in the past. With that being said I wouldn't be too concerned if it came down to it with the kids I see walking around campus 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

squoze

I'm sorry, I've been laughing ever since I saw this! Well done, J-H.

Anyway, I'm 41 and these days strong and fit enough to beat someone to death, BUT I'm non-violent......I'd rather verbally beat them down in a battle of wits. 

Then give them iocane powder. 

image.jpeg.b36d5c09eb2f473cc9863f2e3eff89b3.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At any age a fight is only justifiable if you genuinely feel there is a threat to life. Otherwise grow up and talk. 

Say for instance someone called your wife a terrible derogatory word in your presence .Would you not be included to throw the fists?

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

Say for instance someone called your wife a terrible derogatory word in your presence .Would you not be included to throw the fists?

No. Of course not. I would explain to him how much he has embarrassed himself rather than anyone else. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. Of course not. I would explain to him how much he has embarrassed himself rather than anyone else. 

Hahaha. I'm sure he would take those words to heart and would be better for it. No wonder America won the revolution. 

I have thrown one punch in anger in my life, and I was in middle school. We’re playing basketball and a kid throws the ball at my head from 4 feet away. It was too close for me too duck, and also too close for him to get away. One shot to the nose and his white windbreaker was covered in a river of red. I’ll never forget it. And I still regret it, despite what he had done. We were friends and he just snapped. I just reacted. 

At a Bucs/Packers game in Tampa one time we had an issue. I am there with a bus full of people from the Rotary Club and a buddy from the bank (he ran the investment department and was very proud of his Mensa membership). My wife and young boys are also with us. Some sloppy drunk kid from Wisconsin is shirtless in late December and for some reason wearing a purple bra on his head as a hat (THAT should tell you something!) is sitting behind us and talking a bit too much with my wife. I ignore it, she ignores it, but by the 4th quarter my buddy has had enough. With about a minute left, my (former) buddy pins this kid to the bench by his throat and slides him up about 5 seats. All hell breaks loose and my Rotary Club geriatrics are scrambling for cover. On the way back to the bus he says “he was hitting on your wife, I’d have hoped you’d do the same for me!”. No, I would NOT have. You were drunk and took a harmless situation and added gas and a match. 

Years later I ran into his then ex-wife. He had been fired from the bank for punching a fellow employee in the face in the restroom at the office Christmas party. He was living with a girl half his age and had domestic violence charges pending against him. Mensa does not ensure you are not a complete idiot! 

23 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Absolutely not. Nor would she expect me to. She’s sitting right next to me now and says she’d be embarrassed if I acted that stupidly. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Actions come with tangible consequences. 

Yes, he said words, and your consequences could be jail. Sounds like a bad trade-off, even if you are violently inclined.