First Time I have been concerned with Josh Allen

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

Nope he really wasn’t.     He’s where he belongs as a backup QB.  

Disagree, he had his moments but lacked presence mainly for me. Thought he would do better in Cleveland.

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Yeah, but I want both.

Where do you stand on Allen? Lost faith?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I just don't understand how the deep ball went from something to look forward to, to never hitting on one one yet this season.

IMHO it could be like when you play golf and are hitting from a par 5 tee box …. if you over think your stroke, trying to hit that perfect shot, you will screw up 99% of the time.

Last year there was absolutely no expectations from him, he'd just rear back and let it sail. This year he is worried about protecting the ball … maybe over thinking it a bit … maybe a little bit apprehensive. 

I think he has whatever the football equivalent of the yips are. 

again IMHO this too will pass

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, macaroni said:

IMHO it could be like when you play golf and are hitting from a par 5 tee box …. if you over think your stroke, trying to hit that perfect shot, you will screw up 99% of the time.

Last year there was absolutely no expectations from him, he'd just rear back and let it sail. This year he is worried about protecting the ball … maybe over thinking it a bit … maybe a little bit apprehensive. 

I think he has whatever the football equivalent of the yips are. 

again IMHO this too will pass

It's very much a mental thing 

8 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I just don't understand how the deep ball went from something to look forward to, to never hitting on one one yet this season.

Yeah, I don't know either.  Just a guess on my part, but I think Daboll pulled back on the reins on the gunslinger hero ball play.  Especially after that NE game.  He's gotten pretty dang conservative on his deep throws and the only guy that's going to reach it , if anyone does, is going to be his guy.  Everyone see's he had the guy, including the opposing coaches and players.  There is still some value in showing the opponent he can beat them with the long ball.  He's going to have to connect on them sooner than later or else they quit respecting it.

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

62%, 2TD, 0INT has you concerned?

And I think you mean Russell Wilson.

Is that all there was to the game? Huh...and here I was told referencing stats don't matter. Because if you want to go that route, things look even worse...especially in comparison to every other actual successful QB in the league.

How's his long ball looking in practice all week?  Is he over throwing receivers in practice? 

Just now, BigDingus said:

Is that all there was to the game? Huh...and here I was told referencing stats don't matter. Because if you want to go that route, things look even worse...especially in comparison to every other actual successful QB in the league.

Oh, stats mattered a lot 6 months ago, until they didn't matter anymore :) 

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

He wasn't great at deep balls in college?

No he was not. There was a ton of talk about this around draft time.

NFL passer rating on deep passes in 2017:
Human Howitzer All-World Arm Josh Allen: 84.6 (31.0% complete), 37th in the draft class@bakermayfield : 134.8 (56.7% complete), 13 TDs, 1 INT, led the draft class.

Oh, Mayfield had more passes dropped too. #ArmTalent.

What good is a rocket launcher arm if you don't know how to use it?

Josh Allen completed just one pass of 40+ yards in 2017. Each of the other QBs in this class completed at least 3 such passes.

Among the top #NFLDraft QB prospects, @Lj_era8 was the most aggressive on 3rd down, throwing 71.1% of his attempts past the sticks

View image on Twitter

completion_percentage_by_zone.png

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

right?

The DEFENSE is the reason that game was close. They underperformed mightily. The O put up 24 points.

How did they even get those opportunities to put up the 2 TD's that put them ahead? Oh yeah, turnovers by the defense, including 1 in which the Dolphins were at the goalline about to score another TD which would've had us down 21-9 at that point. 

Thank god the offense actually capitalized on those turnovers, otherwise the game would've been lost. 

Just now, BigDingus said:

How did they even get those opportunities to put up the 2 TD's that put them ahead? Oh yeah, turnovers by the defense, including 1 in which the Dolphins were at the goalline about to score another TD which would've had us down 21-9 at that point. 

Thank god the offense actually capitalized on those turnovers, otherwise the game would've been lost. 

AND that hauschka has been money since the contract extension. 

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

In no way shape or form does Josh Allen look like Tyrod Taylor....who struggled to get to 200 yards passing (and I was a TT supporter)

Josh Allen throws for a minimum of 200 yards and it is more like 250 yards a game in his SECOND YEAR

Allen over 200yds in all but 6 of 17 games. That is around 65% of the time over 200yds. 

Allen over 250yds only 2 times in 17 games. Would not call that 250yds minimum.

Allen overall averaging under 200yds in his 17 games

Tyrod was at 200yds 55% of the time.

Tyrod was over 250yds 25% of the time.

Tyrod through less picks in in nearly triple the number of games. 

So far we are getting less of the Allen upside compared to the dont turn the ball over Tyrod. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Human Howitzer All-World Arm Josh Allen: 84.6 (31.0% complete), 37th in the draft class@bakermayfield : 134.8 (56.7% complete), 13 TDs, 1 INT, led the draft class.

Josh Allen completed just one pass of 40+ yards in 2017. Each of the other QBs in this class completed at least 3 such passes.

Among the top #NFLDraft QB prospects, @Lj_era8 was the most aggressive on 3rd down, throwing 71.1% of his attempts past the sticks

View image on Twitter

Josh's 2016 vs 2017 stats at UW were significantly different due to the WRs and TEs on his team in 2016 that graduated.  He completed many long balls his soph year.

2016: Allen helped lead Wyoming to the 2016 Mountain Division title and a spot in the Mountain West Conference Championship Game. Wyoming hosted that championship game as the highest ranked team in the conference. The Cowboys went on to earn a berth in the 2016 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. He was a key player in Wyoming’s win over two Top 25 ranked teams in 2016, as the Cowboys also earned votes in the national polls. The Cowboy offense ranked No. 2 in the MW and No. 25 in the nation in scoring offense, averaging 35.9 points per game. Wyoming led the conference and ranked 22nd nationally in first downs (312). As a team, UW averaged 15.27 yards per pass completion to rank No. 3 in the MW and No. 8 in the NCAA. The Cowboys converted 90.6 percent of their red-zone opportunities into points to rank No. 2 in the league and No. 14 in the country. As a sophomore, Allen ranked No. 1 in the Mountain West and No. 6 nationally in passing yards per completion (15.33 yards). He also led the MW and was No. 16 in the country in points responsible for (218). Allen threw28 touchdown passes in 2016, placing him No. 1 in the conference and No. 20 in the NCAA.He was second in the MW and 32nd in the nation in passing yards (3,203). Allen was also No. 2 in conference and No. 40 in the nation in total offense (266.1 yards per game). His 3,203 passing yards in 2016 are the fifth best single-season total in Wyoming school history, and his 3,726 yards of total offense in a single season rank No. 3 in school history. His 36 touchdowns responsible for -- passing (28), rushing (7) and receiving (1) -- rank No. 2 in Wyoming history. Allen’s 28 passing TDs rank as the third best single season at Wyoming. He had five games of 300+ yards of total offense: 315 vs. Northern Illinois; 327 vs. Boise State; 327 vs. Utah State; 366 at UNLV; and 338 vs. San Diego State in the regular-season meeting between the two schools. His high passing game was a 334-yard effort at UNLV, his high rushing game was 74 yards vs. Air Force and his high total offense game was 366 at UNLV (334 passing and 32 rushing).

Edited by Pokebball

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

View image on Twitter

I'll let you count the number of long balls Josh threw in 2016.

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the first half again. Josh was not awful at all. He's wasn't very good but it was hardly on him. He picked up both a 2-20 and 1-20 for first downs. He ran for a couple first downs on third (one was called back). He missed two longer throws, one to Brown who was covered (one yard ahead and would have needed a perfect pass right on the sideline with two defenders near) and one to Dawson who was totally blanketed and was not going to make the catch. He threw 3 darts for 10-20 yard plays. Two to Brown and one to Knox.  The fourth dart was dropped by Knox that would have been first and goal.

The one time we punted on 3rd and 11 Daboll called an ill-advised screen that was smothered immediately and had nothing to do with Josh. The one play everyone complained about he had to throw away he got away from three guys that should have tackled him and barely had time to try to get away from the fourth. Even if he threw it away it would have been 3-10 instead of 3-14. He didn't throw one terrible ball and not one was even close to being a turnover excluded a blocked pass early that went into the air and a Bill knocked it down. Again, you couldn't say he was good but he wasn't even bad if you watch each play he had and what he did with it.

Just watched it again myself. Total overreaction by fans who wanted to see a blowout. Old Josh would have thrown multiple interceptions under that duress.

• Like (+1) 7

I don't know how old a lot of the posters are here, though I know have been Bills fans for 40+ years.  I suspect many have only known the Bills during this "drought" era. Anyone who is old enough to remember the Super Bowl era Bills (and I mean really remember them, not just the highlights) can tell you, Jim Kelly had plenty of ***** games along the way....but made plays to win more often than not. Allen is progressing...let him grow.  He was fine yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

One other thing that concerns me about Allen is, during his press conference the tip of his nose was all red. Is that a huge embarrassing zit? If so, been there done that.

His face will continue to get redder until he throws a pick. Then it will disappear.