Joe B. All-22 from Titans game: Dawkins and Hughes shine

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Dawkins doesn't suck, he's just inconsistent.  A good game here, a bad game there.  That is why he is an average LT at this point, though I hope that changes and he can become an above average LT.

Were you not telling me just last week that he is a "consistent liability" ? Then proceeded to share links about how bad he was and call me Mrs. Dawkins?

I think calling someone "consistent liability" is more than saying he's inconsistent. 

EDIT: Sorry, you said he's good just for LT Depth or LG.

Edited by warrior9

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Spain has been our most consistent guy through 5 games. Others have had excellent games here and there but he has been the most consistent. There is no argument for starting Cody Ford over him at this point. 

I don't get the D+ grade and him being our worst player on Sunday. SMH

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I did not understand the trade when it happened and disliked it when they resigned him for real money-Jerry has made me happy I was not GM for those two decisions.

The trade didn't not make sense.  They traded him for Kelvin Sheppard, who was a JAG LB and has so far been a journeyman.  And he was re-signed for real money because he was a force.

Hughes played a good game, but did anyone else see him do that headbutt thing he does at 1:03 left in the first half? It was after a Mariota sack. You can see it on the  game highlight videos. That would've given the Titans a and goal at the 7 instead of a missed fg try. He been good about personal fouls, but this one would've hurt.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Spain has been our most consistent guy through 5 games. Others have had excellent games here and there but he has been the most consistent. There is no argument for starting Cody Ford over him at this point. 

He was caught in bad position a few times this game but I thought each time he was able to correct it throughout the play and make up for it. Everyone gets beat but his effort to keep playing from whistle to whistle has been awesome. 

I also think people forget that he had Jurrell Casey lined up in a 3I basically all game and that JC is an absolute monster. 

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Were you not telling me just last week that he is a "consistent liability" ? Then proceeded to share links about how bad he was and call me Mrs. Dawkins?

I think calling someone "consistent liability" is more than saying he's inconsistent. 

EDIT: Sorry, you said he's good just for LT Depth or LG.

Yeah, probably an overreaction to a bad game...it happens.  He had a good game this past week.  Should have a good game vs Miami, but we'll see.  He'll have another bad game against a decent to good opponent.  But thanks for keeping track of my posts.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That series he actually had one of his worst plays of the game on the 1st play where he just missed an assignment with a delayed run blitzer. It has actually been something that has popped up on film against Spain both in the run and pass he seems to struggle with the delayed blitz. He is a big man and when you let him get moving with momentum off the snap he can dominate physically. The adjustment teams have made against him is give him nobody to block and engage with early in the down. Make him stop his feet and then attack him because he doesn't find it easy to get his feet moving again in those scenarios. 

That said the sequence that followed that play was a good run by Yeldon between C and RG where Feliciano and Long did a nice job creating a lane and then two good runs to the left by Gore on which Spain had big blocks. The first he and Dawkins ran a kind of offensive line stunt where Dawkins drove inside onto the linebacker and Spain hooked outside and totally walled off the edge rusher. The second play was a bit of a misdirection where they pulled the linemen to the right, and Spain came across and bashed his guy, and then Gore's job was just to be patient and then slip out down the left side. Really nice play call and well executed by the whole line. 

Should say again having watched the all22 while sitting by the pool and sipping a beer this morning.... Brian Daboll called a hell of a game on Sunday. Against a good defense he did a really nice job of mixing it up and in the big moments his play calling was excellent. 

I thought Daboll had a bad week last week but this was a significant rebound. Didn't love the second attempted QB sneak and I know the penultimate drive was a bit of a damp squib (though more on execution than play calling) but he did a nice job. 

I seriously doubt Daboll called that second QB sneak - had to be Allen at the line.

Spain is an odd player - he’s so top-heavy and inconsistent, he seems out of shape and slow to react at times - but there were multiple plays on Sunday where he was an animal in “search and destroy” mode, looking for people to block and putting them ON THE GROUND and then finding someone else to put ON THE GROUND.  I actually thought it was his best game... I also think Mongo is our best lineman and has been so all season... oh well.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Am I the only one who finds this grading thing kind of arbitrary and unsatisfying?

I see this type of statement quite a bit. What’s better, what he’s doing or a fan watching the telecast and deciding who is doing a good job based on that and looking at the stat sheet?

All these fans can tell you Zay sucks by only watching the ball  but when someone actually looks at the game tape people still aren’t satisfied.

You're never going to know a player’s assignment. The coaches aren’t going to give you their grades. This is the best you’re going to get as a fan and it’s way more information that we’ve ever been given in the past.

And yeah, grading a player is subjective. It’s how the draft end up being interesting. If everybody had the same grade we’d know the outcome.

Don't just listing to Joe B. There are other people who do this too. Listen/watch/read them and take all the info you can get, along with your own eyes, and form an opinion. Nobody is saying he is absolutely right, it’s just another data point.

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Spain is an odd player - he’s so top-heavy and inconsistent, he seems out of shape and slow to react at times - but there were multiple plays on Sunday where he was an animal in “search and destroy” mode, looking for people to block and putting them ON THE GROUND and then finding someone else to put ON THE GROUND.  I actually thought it was his best game... I also think Mongo is our best lineman and has been so all season... oh well.

I would imagine he was motivated by proving his old team wrong for letting him go.

Agreed on him looking out of shape.  I'd expect at some point they'll look to add a guard with better mobility because at times he whiffs or is slow to arrive on blocks. 

32 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah, probably an overreaction to a bad game...it happens.  He had a good game this past week.  Should have a good game vs Miami, but we'll see.  He'll have another bad game against a decent to good opponent.  But thanks for keeping track of my posts.

It's not hard when you attacked me for saying he's not the problem and has had a good season and called me Mrs. Dawkins, shared links, called him a liability, etc etc.

4 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

It's not hard when you attacked me for saying he's not the problem and has had a good season and called me Mrs. Dawkins, shared links, called him a liability, etc etc.

I did not attack you...or at least mean it that way.  My apologies if it was taken that way; the Mrs. Dawkins thing was probably too much.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I seriously doubt Daboll called that second QB sneak - had to be Allen at the line.

I think Spain's best game was week 2 @ Giants. He flat out dominated that day after having a pretty poor season debut against the Jets. He has had a couple of in and out performances since then but I agree he was good for the most part on Sunday. 

Feliciano I liked weeks 1 and 2, less so week 3 where I thought Geno Atkins and Andrew Billings got the better of him. He was so-so last week and had a so-so start this week. But I LOVED how he played at center. I mean whisper it quietly but through pre-season and the evidence of this week as against what Morse has put on tape..... I am not so sure I wouldn't take Feliciano. 

Anyway after last year it is encouraging to have 4 positions on our line where we have serviceable starters and know that there is some depth. I still have concerns at RT. I like what Bates did on Sunday in limited action but I take the point others have made about his lack of ideal length to be a permanent solution. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MDH said:

I see this type of statement quite a bit. What’s better, what he’s doing or a fan watching the telecast and deciding who is doing a good job based on that and looking at the stat sheet?

All these fans can tell you Zay sucks by only watching the ball  but when someone actually looks at the game tape people still aren’t satisfied.

You're never going to know a player’s assignment. The coaches aren’t going to give you their grades. This is the best you’re going to get as a fan and it’s way more information that we’ve ever been given in the past.

And yeah, grading a player is subjective. It’s how the draft end up being interesting. If everybody had the same grade we’d know the outcome.

Don't just listing to Joe B. There are other people who do this too. Listen/watch/read them and take all the info you can get, along with your own eyes, and form an opinion. Nobody is saying he is absolutely right, it’s just another data point.

Neither?

I'm in no way trying to discourage you from listening/watching/reading what you choose and find valuable, but for me, I don't find much value in it - 'arbitrary and unsatisfying'.

I don't know about the "all these fans" generalization either.  I have Gamepass and watch condensed film in slomo and coach's film on every play.  I find Joe B's commentary interesting, but for me, I'd rather he fill the space with more commentary on what he sees and less with arbitrary grades, because I don't find the informational content high.

Your mileage may vary, and evidently does.

29 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

22 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I did not attack you...or at least mean it that way.  My apologies if it was taken that way; the Mrs. Dawkins thing was probably too much.

I gotta say this warms my heart - seriously - mods would have so much less work if folks had the moxie to cowboy up and say "yeah, too far, sorry!" more often.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:
22 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I gotta say this warms my heart - seriously - mods would have so much less work if folks had the moxie to cowboy up and say "yeah, too far, sorry!" more often.

All is good my guy! 

Zero hard feelings... it's the internet and we all over react to a Bills loss, especially.

Grading a game like this and making all plays equal is somewhat of a nearly worthless exercise. Sure you want your guy beating his man as much as possible. But not all plays are equal, not even close. A big block that springs a long or clutch or TD run is not the same as a first down block on a play to the other side that doesn't affect the play and is a three yard gain.