Good TBN article on Daboll's scheming

Good TBN article about some of Daboll's schemes and how he used one play (jet sweep) to successfully set up another (fake jet sweep end around).  Several other examples digging into the nuts and bolts of why things worked and how Daboll used one play to set up the next.

Paywall, free trial available.

Couple key bits:

Two snaps after McKenzie’s big run, Daboll played off the jet sweep to get a key gain.  McKenzie was in a cluster formation off left tackle with Duke Williams and Andre Roberts outside him. McKenzie ran a fake jet sweep to the right. Josh Allen and Frank Gore broke to the left at the snap, but Allen handed off to Roberts, running an end around to the right........  Nice play design. You don’t often see a jet-sweep and end-around action going in the same direction. It was a perfect time to call it, with the Titans hyper-aware of McKenzie.

Thanks to the Roberts play, the Titans now had to respect both the pass and the run.  Allen suckered them with the best play-action fake of the season thus far.  Allen was in a shotgun formation and gave a hard play-action to Gore. In addition, the Bills sold the run by pulling Spain to the right.    Three Titans – linebackers Brown and Rashaan Evans and the safety, Byard – were standing on the 3-yard line at the snap. All three bit forward on the fake handoff.  That gave receiver Duke Williams room to run a slant. He used his 6-foot-3-inch, 225-pound frame to get inside of 5-foot-11-inch, 185-pound cornerback Adoree Jackson. It was a 7-yard touchdown.

Meta comment from me peanut gallery: I think someone posted that the Bills have one of the lowest % running from the shotgun of any team, they fundamentally never do it.  Would any team have "bitten" on that play fake, or would some teams whose coach says he don't use analytics (*cough*) have not bitten on the play fake and perhaps successfully defended the pass?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I subscribe to The Athletic and won’t be paying for the Buffalo News.

I do find the criticism of Daboll from some a segment of the fan base to be unfair.  I think he’s doing a really good with the offense overall.  While the Bills have struggled to score point, the offense is moving.  If Allen can get ever finish drives with points, I think this team is in great shape

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

While I do enjoy the scheming, I'd really like better execution and more points.  To go deep into the playoffs, we need to be able to score at least 24 points

Would you say this is on Daboll?  Or is it largely on Allen?  If you want to talk execution, the team has out-gained opponents by nearly 100 years each game this yearZ. It has not translated into pts

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Would you say this is on Daboll?  Or is it largely on Allen?  If you want to talk execution, the team has out-gained opponents by nearly 100 years each game this yearZ. It has not translated into pts

I would say mostly on Allen and others on the off.  But, I think some of the blame should also be on Daboll

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I would say mostly on Allen and others on the off.  But, I think some of the blame should also be on Daboll

Explain why.... because overall I think he’s done a great job.  I didn’t love the QB sneak on 4th and 2, for instance.  But if you look at the body of work of the past 5 weeks, it’s been solid.  They haven’t scored because Allen has 10+ Turnovers

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think it's on Allen, but in the Allen threads, it's not his fault either.

They need to score more points and there's a reason they're not. It's Daboll's job to figure out why and come up with a way to fix it. 

59 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

While I do enjoy the scheming, I'd really like better execution and more points.  To go deep into the playoffs, we need to be able to score at least 24 points

The team is in one game at a time mode. They're not thinking playoffs until the playoffs. Not meaning to be overly simplistic but if they keep winning the next game they'll make the playoffs. 

55 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I would say that other than the Patriots game (and the concussion) this season is going to plan. Put Allen in situations where he moves the chains without overly relying on hero ball play. Allen is improving. That was a great defense we played against and Allen completion rate was 71.8%. 

I think it's important to remember that in every game (that Allen has finished) that when we needed a score Allen went and got us that score. I expect the growth to continue and by playoff time Allen will be hitting his stride.

My interpretation of the play-calling through 5 weeks is that Daboll is making the offense put in the work to master the base play-calling strategy.  They're not trying to run up the score, they're trying to be efficient and gain experience playing together as a unit.

Come the 4th quarter, if necessary, Daboll sprinkles in the some gems to win the game. The Mackenzie run followed by the RPO is a perfect example!  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That gave receiver Duke Williams room to run a slant. He used his 6-foot-3-inch, 225-pound frame to get inside of 5-foot-11-inch, 185-pound cornerback Adoree Jackson. It was a 7-yard touchdown.

The beauty of Dukes play was he ran at the DB as if to run block and broke off on the slant at the last second.

Also, Allen standiNg in there as his lineman was bull rushed into him.

Every part of that play was beautifully executed!!!!

Edited by Buffalo Boy

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I subscribe to The Athletic and won’t be paying for the Buffalo News.

I do find the criticism of Daboll from some a segment of the fan base to be unfair.  I think he’s doing a really good with the offense overall.  While the Bills have struggled to score point, the offense is moving.  If Allen can get ever finish drives with points, I think this team is in great shape

One thing that folks seem to forget is that this offense, like the Pats, is built to bring back concepts and schemes from previous games/matchups. I believe we’ll start to see that by the end of the year or early next year. It’s one of the reasons why the Pats can adjust so quickly on offense when opposing defenses make changes. Allen needs to improve and gain experience for that to start happening though. At this point in his development it’s completely unfair to compare Allen/Daboll to Brady/McDaniels, especially when we have so many new players. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no issues with play design. I think it has been fine, creative, and guys are getting open. Run blocking scheme seems adequate.

I just question the run pass ratio at times. Take for instance three straight passes yesterday after the missed FG with a little under 7 minutes left. I have no issue with the first down pass but that needs to be an easy completion that keeps the clock moving even if for little gain. After the first down incompletion you have to run on 2nd down even if the defense knows it is coming. 

And the QB sneak with nearly a full 2 yards to make was just a bad call. Maybe he was given bad distance information. But a QB no matter the size has little momentum to move the pile that much. No problem with a QB draw there but not just a sneak from under center.