Dr. Chandler#81’s concussion observations

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

My only reaction is that not every blow to the head results in a concussion.  A few years ago I stepped off the edge of a sidewalk while walking.  There was about a 3 inch drop off that caused me to lose my balance and fall face forward.  I slammed my forehead into the concrete.  Other than a large goose egg from the blow, I had no loss of consciousness, no symptoms whatsoever.   No confusion, no drowiness, no headache.  To make others happy, I went to the hospital to make sure.  A CT scan confirmed there was no damage, no problem.  Thereafter, I had no delayed symptoms.

Can you throw or catch a  football?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rubes said:

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that, too, and wondering if his head got hit harder than I had first thought. Then I forgot all about it.

Ill admit to thinking, maybe twice(?), early in the game that he had done something odd- I think once a head shake/jerk as mentioned and maybe once a smack or something. 

Didnt really register as noteworthy enough to catalogue for future discussion but I do recall thinking he was acting goofy a couple times.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, this is an interesting theory, but others say he didn't hit his head.  

Plus, before that play, he missed Gore badly in the right flat.   I think he was off from the opening kickoff.   My theory is that he was nervous, excited, wired, whatever you want to call it, and he never calmed down and played the game his coaches expect of him.   As I said, I think the moment was too big for him. 

This is what I believe. Along with Belichick’s D confusing the hell out of him. 

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

As for the theory, it wouldn't surprise me, and it would actually make some level of sense as it could be a factor in the decision making, or lack there-of, that was on display throughout the first half. 

That would make me lean all the more to sitting until after the bye. But I’m no Dr Chandler! 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It's possible it was enough to rattle him and it took the intentional time of halftime to clear the cobwebs. Really impossible to say. My guess is 9 out of 10 players on a field at any time could be diagnosed with some level of concussion like symptoms. 

Well then coaches too if only sending 10 not 11. :devil:

• Like (+1) 1

I can tell you that I've been knocked unconscious twice in my life and don't recall any lingering after effects from either. When a player gets his bell rung he usually doesn't get right up as they tend to move slower like they are dazed... or in my case saw stars and lights out. After re-watching the Bills first few drives it didn't look like Allen was hampered at all by any hits. 

Over the years of watching football I've seen so many QB's amp'd up at the start of the game against a big opponent that they overthrow targets for most of the first few drives. I think Josh was simply amp'd up going against the world champs.

Some coaches are good at getting their QB to settle down before a big game and others not so much. If you watch Daboll on the sidelines he is a yeller. 

You don't have to hit your head to feel the same effects as a concussion.

I've been diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome and can get fall down dizzy just by shaking my head to fast.

(Can't even sled down the bunny hill if there's a bump in it)

Not that this is the case here, but it's the jostling of the brain, not necessarily the hit that can cause issues.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If it wasn't a mod making this thread it would be labelled a LAMP post.

He shook his head so he was concussed? A guy grazed his face mask, he immediately signaled for it during the play then I believe actually threw the ball away.

No, I really don’t think so. This isn’t about him, and it just might make some sense, if that's what happened. It makes me want to go back and look again. So......

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Lazy said:

You don't have to hit your head to feel the same effects as a concussion.

I've been diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome and can get fall down dizzy just by shaking my head to fast.

(Can't even sled down the bunny hill if there's a bump in it)

Not that this is the case here, but it's the jostling of the brain, not necessarily the hit that can cause issues.

NEVER trust a bunny! Did you not see Monty Python and the Holy Grail???  

10 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If it wasn't a mod making this thread it would be labelled a LAMP post.

He shook his head so he was concussed? A guy grazed his face mask, he immediately signaled for it during the play then I believe actually threw the ball away.

I don't think that's true; it's a realistic theory where the OP/mod made an observation that has merit.  While I don't think Josh was concussed after hitting the turf in Q1, he could have been a bit woozy.  The hit in the 4th quarter most likely put him into concussion if Josh was in a 'grey area' from hitting the turf in Q1.  Wash Josh's shaky performance the first half the result of hitting the turf, nerves and this game being too big for him, or Belichick confusing him?  Hard to say and could be a combination of all three.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

This is the sack in the 1st Quareter:

This is after breaking the huddle:

He took a couple legs to the head after he was already on the ground looking for the fumbled ball. The initial hit or drive to the ground does not look like it would cause a concussion. The sudden hits to the side of his head from players diving for the ball could have done it though.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

He took a couple legs to the head after he was already on the ground looking for the fumbled ball. The initial hit or drive to the ground does not look like it would cause a concussion. The sudden hits to the side of his head from players diving for the ball could have done it though.

Ran the video at 1/4 speed and I don't see any hits to the head. The only one close was by #50 whose leg pushed up against his neck and shoulder pad.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

Bell run is the first concussion you describe.  Josh got hit hard but was able to keep playing. 

The second time he was he was knocked out cold. That a straight up concussion, worse than getting your bell rung.

These days, both are described as a concussion.  It used to be felt someone had to lose consciousness to suffer a concussion, now a days consensus medical SOTA says "not true"

The first would be concussion without loss of consciousness if he was indeed having mental symptoms, the second would be concussion with loss of consciousness, both would be concussions.

• Like (+1) 3