Bills least valuable NFL franchise per Forbes

TroutDog

15 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I just don't see the value in the present valuations of NFL franchises. Yes all it takes is 1 person who just wants a status symbol. But at $2 billion the ROI on this is getting tight. The fact that the BIlls have increased 1/2 billion in a short time and still leaves us at the bottom of the list seems to be a franchise cost bubble forming IMO. It will be interesting to watch going forth, but the more franchises are worth the more insanely bad ideas we are going to get from the NFL as they desperately try to find more revenue to justify the valuations.

some people are so liquid rich they don't care what they paid for a franchise, the return is meaningless to them (for now.... that can change...)

a group of investors, as Bon Jovi or Trump would have led, would be a lot more insistent on a profit margin, as you wisely state

during the last NFL work action, the owners were not allowed to allocate received TV $$$$ as deferred income, so that got almost all back to the table immediately to settle

the value of an entity is determined as best as one can at a given time, we have almost made a science of it, i do some work in the field but prefer working in forensic accounting, i prefer reconstructing actual events of the past over hypotheticals like a PRIVATE business value at present, a better estimation of the value of a public entity is always there for you through the stock price

but when crunch time comes to sell a lot of factors can change the calculated value considerably, desperation to sell, newly formed war zone, Ralph's kids have no interest in it and want out now....

a lot of NBA teams went for a song not that long ago....

i had a decent little hockey card collection that I couldn't give away to card shops, went to a Country Club shindig and sold it for $1,500 because someone's brat insisted on it...  :D

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

I’m pretty sure the 1.4 b he used to purchase the team was considered an over buy at the time.  That’s one fancy toy. 

Maybe.  But seeing a $500M or an almost 36% increase in value after just 5 years?

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Maybe.  But seeing a $500M or an almost 36% increase in value after just 5 years?

it's all on paper and it's a private entity, so it's really guesswork

Forbes does this all the time and everyone whines about how inaccurate they are...

their multiples may not be the best for values

Just now, row_33 said:

Forbes does this all the time and everyone whines about how inaccurate they are...

Doesn't seem out of whack.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Doesn't seem out of whack.

how do you KNOW this, as a professional opinion for expert witness testimony, or standing by an opinion that will be sued back to the Stone Age if wrong

the rules of valuations don't really play with the extremes of the market, definitions and models take a common sense approach

those buyers for whom $$ is no object destroy all reality for value

Forbes like to send out pure guesswork, gets them in the news, maybe sells some more magazines

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

They extrapolate heavily from the television contracts.  Like I said before I can see Dallas' value in terms of what the Cowboys bring to the bidding.  The Pats could decline significantly if Brady hits the wall soon or Bill B loses his magic.  I could even see the Pats slip below 3B because the other sports normally command the Boston sports dollar.

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Does it matter?   

Is there a bright future ahead?    Looks that way to me!! 

who really cares what Jerruh World costs as long as the Bills WIN and make the playoffs 

..has to pay for his plastic surgery somehow.......screw him.............

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

how do you KNOW this, as a professional opinion for expert witness testimony, or standing by an opinion that will be sued back to the Stone Age if wrong

the rules of valuations don't really play with the extremes of the market, definitions and models take a common sense approach

those buyers for whom $$ is no object destroy all reality for value

Forbes like to send out pure guesswork, gets them in the news, maybe sells some more magazines

What makes you think they're wrong?  The minimum value is what the Pegulas paid for the team: $1.4B.  Teams valuations almost always rise annually thanks to revenue sharing (the Bills will make about $384M this season) while franchise sales, like the Panthers in 2018 (for $2.2B), increase valuations even more over the annual increases.

And the Bills sold for well above the Forbes' valuation back in 2014.  So at least in the Bills' case, they under-reported their value.

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Win and the value skyrockets.

Doubtful.

A look at the top ten list shows many teams that aren't all that good.  Even the most valuable team has won only 1 playoff game in the last 20 years.  49ers had  good run with Hard Ball but pretty much stunk before and after.  The Jets?  Rex and those back to back AFC games were a  looooong time ago.  The common theme among these teams (with the exception of the Bears) is they all have fancy new stadiums.  

If Buffalo continues to muddle areound .500 or less for a few years and then builds a fancy new stadium for billions of dollars, then the value of the Bills will go up too.  Until then, it won't much if any regardless of the win/loss record.

Do you know of a team that was bad and then got good and their team value sky rocketetted?  If so, who?

Meanwhile, the Jets and Giants have stunk for years and years yet are 2 of the most valuable teams.

Edited by reddogblitz

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

What makes you think they're wrong?  The minimum value is what the Pegulas paid for the team: $1.4B.  Teams valuations almost always rise annually thanks to revenue sharing (the Bills will make about $384M this season) while franchise sales, like the Panthers in 2018 (for $2.2B), increase valuations even more over the annual increases.

And the Bills sold for well above the Forbes' valuation back in 2014.  So at least in the Bills' case, they under-reported their value.

they aren't "wrong" because their values don't matter in reality

It's almost impossible to gather the information of a private enterprise, let alone all 32 teams to come up with a useful value, zero credibility in this report

Forbes does this all the time, they guess at values of teams, they guess at the richest people in the world, it's a fun thing to publish, but if you won't stand by the opinion in reality, it's worthless. 

okay Doc, if you are working professionally in this field you can have an opinion besides reading the headline and going "WOW WHAT A GENIUS!!"

19 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Doubtful.

A look at the top ten list shows many teams that aren't all that good.  Even the most valuable team has won only 1 playoff game in the last 20 years.  49ers had  good run with Hard Ball but pretty much stunk before and after.  The Jets?  Rex and those back to back AFC games were a  looooong time ago.  The common theme among these teams (with the exception of the Bears) is they all have fancy new stadiums.  

If Buffalo continues to muddle areound .500 or less for a few years and then builds a fancy new stadium for billions of dollars, then the value of the Bills will go up too.  Until then, it won't much if any regardless of the win/loss record.

Do you know of a team that was bad and then got good and their team value sky rocketetted?  If so, who?

Meanwhile, the Jets and Giants have stunk for years and years yet are 2 of the most valuable teams.

Start winning and the value skyrockets.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Please explain.  I laid out why I don't agree.

Why do you think it does beyond "Start winning and the value skyrockets. "  Is that all you got?

Again, give me an example (if you got one).

Just look at the winning teams Patriots were never valued that high until they started winning. Just simple facts.