Meh. Thumb, Toe...What's the Difference

Lurker

I had my thumb torn off in an industrial accident - 36 years ago.  I was bitching to the EMTs that I just bought a tennis racket last night.  They said Hey, there's all kinds of new things - like putting a toe where the thumb was.  I said "I don't want a ***** toe on my hand!".................The docs did save half my thumb and I had it sewn into my abdomen for two weeks to get a blood supply.  No toe!  

There's a lesson to be learned here.  

If you are in need of a medical procedure beyond the ordinary, get your ass to a major facility in a big city where you can find just the right expert you need to who does what you need all the time.

The article mentions these sorts of mistakes during routine procedures are a reoccurring theme in regional facilities.

She was 2 hours outside of Melbourne.  Should have gone into the city.

Could be a Southern Hemisphere thing? 

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

About 6-7 months ago, I was with a workmate when he had an accident that ripped off half of his middle finger.

I still shudder when I think about it.  (I still give him loads of crap for it though.)

That's not fair!  He can't give you the middle finger anymore.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It is not uncommon for Japanese ex-Yakuza to have big toe cut off and be turned into finger or toe joint to help them blend back into society.  I hope she had a more competent plastic surgeon do the replacement.

I guess I opted to never blend back into society.