Injury update: Andre Roberts out, Kroft not (yet)

YoloinOhio

If he's out for an important regular season game, particularly against his old team against whom he has an ax to grind, it must be more than a minor quad injury.  I was thinking bruise, but perhaps it's a pull or strain that needs time to heal and could be aggravated by playing.  Too bad, as he would have been great to have in this one.  McKenzie's hands concern me and I hate to expose Hyde to injury on ST.  I wonder if Roscoe Parrish is available...I think he's in jail.

looking at the trend of events my spidey sense is going off or maybe it's a stroke.

considering they (Jets) know him and would probably practice kicking away from him and he's strictly a spot relegated to PR/KR maybe they thought they would go the Belicheckian route and drag it out and pull him at the "last" minute and we now have a player that's on ST and O thats active.

not saying the injury isn't real, maybe just enough to make it an easy decision given the above.

Edited by Say When...

2 minutes ago, Say When... said:

looking at the trend of events my spidey sense is going off or maybe it's a stroke.

considering they (Jets) know him and would probably practice kicking away from him and he's strictly a spot relegated to PR/KR maybe they thought they would go the Belicheckian route and drag it out and pull him at the "last" minute and we now have a player that's on ST and O thats active.

not saying the injury isn't real, maybe just enough to make it an easy decision given the above.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

If he's out for an important regular season game, particularly against his old team against whom he has an ax to grind, it must be more than a minor quad injury.  I was thinking bruise, but perhaps it's a pull or strain that needs time to heal and could be aggravated by playing.  Too bad, as he would have been great to have in this one.  McKenzie's hands concern me and I hate to expose Hyde to injury on ST.  I wonder if Roscoe Parrish is available...I think he's in jail.

As much as they might want him for this game they've got to want him for the duration even more.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.

decision based on getting the most value out of the situation:

• 1 player - 2 roles on ST - nicked up - opposition may negate him by kicking away

or

• 1 player - roles on Offense and ST - healthy - last minute add; opposition will now need to account for

i know Roberts was listed as a WR but did/does he ever play the position outside of blowouts/etc; answered my own Q, has 35 receptions in the last 4 years.

Edited by Say When...
answered my own question

1 minute ago, Say When... said:

decision based on getting the most value out of the situation:

• 1 player - 2 roles on ST - nicked up - opposition may negate him by kicking away

or

• 1 player - roles on Offense and ST - healthy - last minute add; opposition will now need to account for

i know Roberts was listed as a WR but did/does he ever play the position outside of blowouts/etc.

Why would a team need to game plan for a potentially inactive player, though? I don't think it is necessary to account for guys who will barely see any playing time except on special teams and who might be inactive most weeks. So any value in a situation like that is so slim it is practically non-existent.

If they are kicking away from Roberts, that means they are kicking out of bounds on punts, sacrificing additional yards. That's a win for us. If they are kicking it out of the end zone on kickoffs to keep it from Roberts, we get it on the 25, which is fine.

Not trying to bust your chops, I'm just not understanding the perceived value. I see more value in having all our healthy players playing, including our pro bowl returner.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why would a team need to game plan for a potentially inactive player, though? I don't think it is necessary to account for guys who will barely see any playing time except on special teams and who might be inactive most weeks. So any value in a situation like that is so slim it is practically non-existent.

If they are kicking away from Roberts, that means they are kicking out of bounds on punts, sacrificing additional yards. That's a win for us. If they are kicking it out of the end zone on kickoffs to keep it from Roberts, we get it on the 25, which is fine.

Not trying to bust your chops, I'm just not understanding the perceived value. I see more value in having all our healthy players playing, including our pro bowl returner.

not taking any offense, we just have a difference of opinion if i have a nicked guy that plays 1 role really well and can replace him with a healthy guy that plays multiple roles 'well' i'm going for the latter.

total agreement, would prefer to have everyone healthy but that's not the case here so i answered the "what the heck is wrong with Roberts?"; maybe he's 80% but with all that's at play here we sit him and bring in an alternate contributor that can provide more value.

2 minutes ago, Say When... said:

not taking any offense, we just have a difference of opinion if i have a nicked guy that plays 1 role really well and can replace him with a healthy guy that plays multiple roles 'well' i'm going for the latter.

total agreement, would prefer to have everyone healthy but that's not the case here so i answered the "what the heck is wrong with Roberts?"; maybe he's 80% but with all that's at play here we sit him and bring in an alternate contributor that can provide more value.

Roberts has been pretty good at receiver too, including in run blocking. I don't think another inactive candidate would be as valuable as him. If he isn't playing, I have to take it at face value and assume it is because doing so would hurt his recovery chances and hurt the team.

• Like (+1) 1