It's not all Allen: Good D&C article on 5 other Key Players

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/05/josh-allen-cole-beasley-mitch-morse-ed-oliver-lorenzo-alexander-devin-singletary-buffalo-bills/2212958001/

(I could read it but there might be a paywall if you're past their limit)

The players are Mitch Morse, Devin Singletary, Cole Beasley, Ed Oliver, and Zo Alexander

Favorite lines:

" The Bills finishing 30th in yards and points last season had as much to do with the loss of veteran center Eric Wood to a career-ending neck injury as it did with playing musical chairs at quarterback and Allen’s growing pains. Russell Bodine and Ryan Groy couldn’t carry Wood’s cleats and now both are history"

" It’s good that the Bills added a deep threat in free agent John Brown and that Robert Foster is fast enough to run through a car wash and not get wet. But it’s Beasley, a 5-8 slot receiver, who is a very good bet to lead the Bills in receptions as he once did the Dallas Cowboys. Doing for Allen what he did for rookie Dak Prescott in 2016, being a sure-handed target on chain-moving short patterns. ...... Beasley is like covering a fly at a picnic"
" Getting Alexander back for one more season softened the blow of losing Williams to retirement. But can the club’s spiritual leader sack Father Time at age 36?"

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm looking forward to Josh Allen connecting with Cole Beasley early and often this year.

If Mitch Morse makes it through this year without a concussion, it will be a miracle.  Maybe D&C is overlooking this little tidbit.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm looking forward to Josh Allen connecting with Cole Beasley early and often this year.

If Mitch Morse makes it through this year without a concussion, it will be a miracle.  Maybe D&C is overlooking this little tidbit.

Ur, read article?  They make that point.

i only quoted my fave lines, I didn’t try to provide an overview

I think Singeltary will surprise people. I just have a feeling he’ll become a very good, if not elite, player within a year or two. He just has that “it” about him when he plays. Not the strongest or fastest, but he gets yards and makes plays. His vision is elite and in a game of inches he’ll be able to use that vision to take good angles and be a mental step ahead of the play. Again, just a layman’s take on it 

4 hours ago, Beane/Allen said:

Tyrod Taylor won football games for this franchise. 

He did it with his feet, his smarts and his leadership. 

We now have a taller version...

... who is willing to throw the ball to make first downs in an effort to score points and win the game, instead of boosting his QBR with 3-yard completions on 3rd and 8. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

... who is willing to throw the ball to make first downs in an effort to score points and win the game, instead of boosting his QBR with 3-yard completions on 3rd and 8. 

It was a compliment. 

Lets hope Allen can get us to the playoffs too. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

" The Bills finishing 30th in yards and points last season had as much to do with the loss of veteran center Eric Wood to a career-ending neck injury as it did with playing musical chairs at quarterback and Allen’s growing pains.

I disagree with the above. I always viewed Wood as a good but not all that great center. I also think that he was overpaid but I can't blame the Bills for doing so considering the lack of resources they dedicated to the OL.

The trade that brought him here explains it all.

• Like (+1) 1

Without doubt the biggest determinant of whether or not the Bills will have success this year rests on Josh Allen's shoulders.   Without him making that year 2 leap we will be a middling sort of 7-9 to 9-7 sort of team.

The Bills have upgraded pretty much everywhere on the team so they will be improved from last year.  

Defenses will try to take away the run and key in on Beasley to take away Allen's go to receiver, but I also believe that defenses will try to also takeaway the deep ball to Brown and Foster.   That is why I believe that the mid range 10-25 yard passes can be there to be had for the TE's and WR's.  If protection can hold up and Allen can trust his receivers and the line, then these opportunities will be available.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think the pressure is squarely on Allen.  Those other guys are not as critical.  The overall increase in talent around Allen is obvious.  If he takes major steps forward this team can win 10 or more games, if he does not then 500 is about what you can expect.

1 hour ago, sunshynman said:

Woods was drafted by the Bills.

Wood

While I agree that Allen, Morse and Singletary can significantly lift the Bills this year, I view our defense as the real key to success. We have, potentially, a top five D possessing not only shutdown capabilities, but also point scoring talent. Our surest path to the playoffs is with the Bills defense bringing 60 minutes of hell every Sunday. That will be our foundation.

The offensive side of the ball can then, if all goes well, take us from good to great. I don't have a clue as what to expect from special teams play in the coming year.

• Like (+1) 1