McBeane and draft timing

Dkollidas

8 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Common picks for the Bills among the early mock drafts are Chase Young and A. J. Epenesa - highly regarded defensive ends, and Jerry Jeudy and Laviska Shenault WRs.  Unfortunately, those early mocks mostly have Buffalo picking in the top 5 to  top 12 in the draft.  If the plans of the Bills and hopes of the fans pan out, the Bills will be picking a lot later than that.  

If the Bills pick a bit later in the first round, Yetur Gross-Mattos is a nice looking edge rusher out of Penn State, Tee Higgins is a tall receiver with some speed out of Clemson.  Still later, the Bills could get Terrell Lewis, edge rusher from Alabama or CeeDee Lamb, a receiver from Oklahoma.  Other first round edge rushers might be Kenny Willekes or Anfernee Jennings.  There is also an additional handful of receivers who could go late in the first.

Good post.

Just personally would be very wary of selecting a Penn State edge rusher after the way Jauron's Folly worked out.

9 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

How far ahead does Adam Gase look?

To his navel...

2 hours ago, Element115 said:

Not picking Mahomes *could* go down as one of the biggest draft blunders for the Bills.

1 minute ago, Element115 said:

I need an explanation.  What we know about Allen to this point, "so far so good" is simply not the case. Is this a faith based determination?

what is this faith you speak of? do you deserve an explanation? the biggest blunder was unfortunately the day you joined this board. you do noting but incite here. sure you do it in your little intellectual way but it's inciting none the less.

56 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, it really won’t. Only those who revel in 20/20 hindsight misery will even consider a 12th pick traded that lands an outstanding cornerback. Give it a rest, sunshine. 

thank you.

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I assume since he was hired only weeks later and McDermott basically ran the draft, that they at least spoke on a basic level of which players they liked

An absolutely ridiculous assumption which would have seen the Bills penalised massively by the league if true 

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

what is this faith you speak of? do you deserve an explanation? the biggest blunder was unfortunately the day you joined this board. you do noting but incite here. sure you do it in your little intellectual way but it's inciting none the less.

Mahomes was the NFL MVP in his second year, and he barely played in his rookie season.  I'm wondering how "so far so good" can be applied to a QB who had a poor TD:INT ratio and a 52% completion percentage. It has to be faith that Allen will be good, because there is not yet enough data to suggest Allen is comparable to Mahomes, on any level.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Mahomes was the NFL MVP in his second year, and he barely played in his rookie season.  I'm wondering how "so far so good" can be applied to a QB who had a poor TD:INT ratio and a 52% completion percentage. It has to be faith that Allen will be good, because there is not yet enough data to suggest Allen is comparable to Mahomes, on any level.

Ahhhh, the good ole thread hijacking. I suggest you go join Jeffismagic/Zero(whatever) over on the Chiefs' message board. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think that most GM's try to look ahead but life gets in the way.  Players hit a wall physically before they are expected to.  A free agent signee does not adapt or work out.  A guy that a GM was hoping to re-sign at reasonable money gets insane money from a desperate team and he is gone.  This has been as much a problem for the Bills the past 20 years as anything else.  It's like saying You're going to marry a hot girl when you are 18.  But then you go to college and forced to admit that you are not as capable academically as you were in high school.  You looking like a mix between your mom and dad in high school made you cute because the girls liked your mom and dad but now at college you're considered homely.  Once you honestly take stock of your intellectual and physical gifts you then wisely consider the invitation for lunch from the girl that might be 15 pounds overweight and not look good in tight pants but most likely lands a job that is better than what you are in line for.  Such is life for the draft and FA periods for many GM's.

Edited by RochesterRob

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Ahhhh, the good ole thread hijacking. I suggest you go join Jeffismagic/Zero(whatever) over on the Chiefs' message board. 

I thought this thread was about how good a job MeDermott did at drafting before Beane arrived?  How is discussing the elephant in the room hijacking the thread?  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Element115 said:

I thought this thread was about how good a job MeDermott did at drafting before Beane arrived?  How is discussing the elephant in the room hijacking the thread?  

It's talking about the team needs and the strength of each draft for that year. There is no elephant in the room. Only an element in the room.

Image result for stupidium

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Element115 said:

all you have done in your short tenure here is put down the bills and prop up other teams and their players and coaches. not a good look for a supposed bills fan but a sure sign of an inciting troll, such as you are.

Don't have time to look for the interview, but Beane said something about looking at future draft classes when considering FAs and draft picks. 

Its so nice to see an actual plan for this team. Whaley could recognize talent, but his roster building skills left a lot to be desired. Every move was "this year" With McBeane its always "this year and next year". Its so refreshing 

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that most GM's try to look ahead but life gets in the way.  Players hit a wall physically before they are expected to.  A free agent signee does not adapt or work out.  A guy that a GM was hoping to re-sign at reasonable money gets insane money from a desperate team and he is gone.  This has been as much a problem for the Bills the past 20 years as anything else.  It's like saying You're going to marry a hot girl when you are 18.  But then you go to college and forced to admit that you are not as capable academically as you were in high school.  You looking like a mix between your mom and dad in high school made you cute because the girls liked your mom and dad but now at college you're considered homely.  Once you honestly take stock of your intellectual and physical gifts you then wisely consider the invitation for lunch from the girl that might be 15 pounds overweight and not look good in tight pants but most likely lands a job that is better than what you are in line for.  Such is life for the draft and FA periods for many GM's.

You need a hug bud?

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Don't have time to look for the interview, but Beane said something about looking at future draft classes when considering FAs and draft picks. 

Its so nice to see an actual plan for this team. Whaley could recognize talent, but his roster building skills left a lot to be desired. Every move was "this year" With McBeane its always "this year and next year". Its so refreshing 

You need a hug bud?

Not talking about me.  Just trying to find an analogy that most people here can understand.  

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

all you have done in your short tenure here is put down the bills and prop up other teams and their players and coaches. not a good look for a supposed bills fan but a sure sign of an inciting troll, such as you are.

I'm questioning how fans can have a discussion about their teams' past drafts and not look at them objectively.  Talent evaluation/team needs has been a problem with this franchise for a very long time.  QB's win SB's not DB's.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Element115 said:

I need an explanation.  What we know about Allen to this point, "so far so good" is simply not the case. Is this a faith based determination?

No. It was me saying so far, so good on it being one of the Bills’ biggest draft blunders. Mahomes has been ridiculously good.  And it wasn’t like we didn’t need a QB when we did it. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

No. It was me saying so far, so good on it being one of the Bills’ biggest draft blunders. Mahomes has been ridiculously good.  And it wasn’t like we didn’t need a QB when we did it. 

Thanks for the explanation.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Your take is flawed.  One could easily say every team in the NFL made a terrible mistake not drafting Tom Brady.  They all should have traded up to the #1 spot to get him, including New England.  Same with Montana. 

Your take also ignores what was going on with that draft. No one, I repeat, no one, thought Mahomes would have the kind of season he had last year. Coming out there were concerns with his footwork  and that he was coming from a system that had never produced a decent NFL QB. 

Your take also shows inconsistency in judgement.  You seem to dismiss Allen based on his rookie season, and at the same time you want to anoint Mahomes as savior because of one really  great year.   What if Allen steps up this season , and Mahomes regresses?  I do a lot of research and statistical work; an N of 1 is hardly enough on which to base conclusions.

McDermott and Beane have done a good job drafting talent thus far.  The talent is young and will have to develop, but kids like Edmunds, Allen, Oliver, ford et al look like they should have long productive careers. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I can't believe that people here are still stuck on Mahomes like a junk yard dog is stuck on a soup bone.  Mahomes sat for a year and had Reid to tutor him.  Mahomes draft position would have had fans clambering for him to start early in his rookie season and if that did not happen the talk of being a bust would have been deafening.  Also, Reid was not here to tutor him nor Alex Smith to be a mentor.  People here were moaning about Derek Anderson being signed last year without a single thought as to how it might benefit Allen.