McBeane and draft timing

Dkollidas

16 minutes ago, Element115 said:

He was most definitely a better prospect.  Much better college career, much less "raw".  I hate that term, raw usually means more likely to fail in the NFL.

I'm sorry that all you want is positive contribution instead of objectivity.

Fine, lets say he wasn't raw.  He still was not the sure fire prospect you are pretending he was. MOREOVER, we did not have a GM! Do you recommend teams draft the player that will define the next 3 years without a GM or executive staff?  

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What if you were the board's official Mahomer since June of 2016 and watched him fall into your favorite team's lap right when they needed to pull the trigger on a franchise QB?

Can you feel that way then?

Asking for a friend ;)

Way too early to make that call.

Oh for sure.  But Mahomes and Watson were monsters in their second season. Mitch has pretty decent numbers.  I don’t think another from this class will top Watson/ Mahomes but I would love to see it.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No they didn’t.  You want to continue to make a point that is not necessarily valid.  You assume Allen will not be as good as Mahomes based on one season.  And you continue to indict our guys but ignore that every other team in the league could have drafted Mahomes.  Do you indict them all as well?

My stance is based on available data (how else do yo do it other than "Bill-ief"), this season will add to that data and I suspect will close the book on this issue.

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Fine, lets say he wasn't raw.  He still was not the sure fire prospect you are pretending he was. MOREOVER, we did not have a GM! Do you recommend teams draft the player that will define the next 3 years without a GM or executive staff?  

That's one point I have to concede, I am assuming Bean and McDermott were talking prior to the 2017 draft.  

2 minutes ago, Element115 said:

That's one point I have to concede, I am assuming Bean and McDermott were talking prior to the 2017 draft.  

I hope they weren't. If they acted with that little professional ethics I would not want them running this team.  However, their behavior since taking over tells me that is not their M.O. It would be highly improper if they communicated before the move (especially in light of the Rooney rule, which I think also applies to GMs), and I have a difficult time believing they did.  

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I hope they weren't. If they acted with that little professional ethics I would not want them running this team.  However, their behavior since taking over tells me that is not their M.O. It would be highly improper if they communicated before the move (especially in light of the Rooney rule, which I think also applies to GMs), and I have a difficult time believing they did.  

I don't recall the Bills interviewing a black GM candidate before hiring Beane, maybe they did.  However, I think it makes sense that McDermott was going to bring along Beane wherever he went.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh for sure.  But Mahomes and Watson were monsters in their second season. Mitch has pretty decent numbers.  I don’t think another from this class will top Watson/ Mahomes but I would love to see it.

That's certainly a fair viewpoint.

Let me ask this: suppose all 3 of Mahomes/Watson/Trubisky live up to the hype...and then 4 of Baker/Darnold/Allen/Jackson/Rosen become franchise guys.  Even if the quality of the '18 class on a per-QB basis doesn't quite catch the '17 class, which would be the better class?

Because that's part of the argument: if Beane and McDermott felt like they had a better shot at a franchise QB based upon quantity of available prospects, that weighs into it.

I also think that the appraisal of their passing on Mahomes is really quite simple: McDermott was here, Beane wasn't. McDermott didn't want to make a call on a franchise QB draft pick without having the input of his hand-picked GM, so he kicked the can down the road.

Right or wrong, that was the decision.

2 minutes ago, Element115 said:

I don't recall the Bills interviewing a black GM candidate before hiring Beane, maybe they did.  However, I think it makes sense that McDermott was going to bring along Beane wherever he went.

They interviewed Trey Brown from Philly--he's the guy that was on the Microsoft tablet commercial that aired all season last year.

14 minutes ago, Element115 said:

I only think about it when discussing Buffalo Bills football.  And I really only do that at work and here, so.

i would think it would bother you more that the bills passed on tom brady multiple times.  do you think about that a lot too?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

i would think it would bother you more that the bills passed on tom brady multiple times.  do you think about that a lot too?

No, because that is not comparable, like at all. Brady was basically a non-existent prospect.  And I do remember watching that draft and the Brady pick.

18 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Opposing views do not make one a troll, in fact, the ones always screaming troll are generally the fascists of the group.  

LOL, equating even the most "blind faith" fans of a football team to that seems a little "dramatic".

51 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

McD is a coach, not a QB elevator. The guy they planned to hire and trust to evaluate the position wasn't with the team. We are not talking about a guarantee. Drafting your franchise QB is always a gamble. Even the best prospects fail half the time, and Mahomes was farrrrr from the best prospect.  It would be insane to make that gamble under those circumstances.  

This is a lazy take.  The head coach needs to be both imo.  If you cant evaluate talent, you shouldnt be a head coach.

1 minute ago, Element115 said:

Not really, fandom can reach cult-like indoctrination levels.

You have crossed over into the troll department at this point.  You are just trying to get a rise out of people.  Just give it a rest

Just now, Element115 said:

No, because that is not comparable, like at all. Brady was basically a non-existent prospect.  And I do remember watching that draft and the Brady pick.

my point is why keep harping on it?  what's done is done.  you say you want to talk about the buffalo bills, yet you spend a lot of time talking about a qb on another team.  i personally like to concentrate on what will or will not help this team moving forward, not what happened in past drafts.  it seems like you're doing that for the sake of complaining, and turning this thread into something it doesn't need to be.

again, this nonsense is why you're literally on your 4th screen name since you've been here.  what is going on in your life that a message board is something you have trouble dealing with?  do you have trouble with other interpersonal relationships?  it's kinda sad t-bomb, white dwarf, macgyver and element115.  4 names bud.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

my point is why keep harping on it?  what's done is done.

Because the FO and coaching are continually evaluated, just like players.  Their past decisions add to the database used by fans and others to form opinions on the state of their favorite team(s).

6 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You have crossed over into the troll department at this point.  You are just trying to get a rise out of people.  Just give it a rest

Sorry, I should have said online fandom. Might have to be a European football fan to see it IRL.

Edited by Element115

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I can’t believe that people still come up with crap like this.  So much garbage.  Believe it or not, the Bills could’ve provided quality coaching to a rookie QB and sat him for a season (if needed) behind an acceptable bridge QB.  In fact, one was on the team in Tyrod Taylor.  They hadn’t even extended him yet.  And the fans would have been fine with it.  They were fine with that same idea when Allen was drafted - they just didn’t want it to be Peterman (understandably).  They were counting on McCarron to be that guy.  The situation with Taylor and Mahomes would’ve been much, much better with a better vet and rookie.  The only problem some people had at the time was moving on from Taylor and not wanting to take a step back.  Many were in “win now” mode and wanted to end the playoff drought regardless of the long term futility. 

That is a possibility...but who would Mahomes have been throwing to?  Mahomes is good...no doubt...but look at his supporting cast.  Having Tyreek Hill and Kelce to throw to helped his development tremendously.  Now they've added more speed in Williams.  Mahomes just has to throw the ball.  They will go get it.

I just don't think it would have looked that pretty on the Bills considering the supporting cast.

6 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Because the FO and coaching are continually evaluated, just like players.  Their past decisions add to the database used by fans and others to form opinions on the state of their favorite team(s).

Sorry, I should have said online fandom. Might have to be a European football fan to see it IRL.

I don't need to be anything outside of myself to see that you are just being a troll.  Regardless of what you "see".  No need to be pompous about anything, you are no better that us lowly Americans.