McBeane and draft timing

Dkollidas

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Tell you what.  Go back through your post history and copy the one you posted before the 2017 draft saying Mahomes would be a star.  Or pipe down.

There were concerns about Mahomes in terms of his footwork and his coming out of an offensive scheme that had never produced an NFL quality QB.  He had a great season last year, and no one would have seen it coming that early in his career before the 2017 draft.  And if you say you did you’re not telling the truth, that simple.

This retrospective critique stuff is fun to do.  I still cringe over the Lamonica trade.  But it accomplishes nothing. It lets people who have nowhere near the data teams have a reason to beeyatch.

There were those clamoring for Mahomes before the 2017 draft ya know and hated passing on a QB that fell into their lap when they really needed one.  One of them happens to be on the radio, a guy many of you think is an idiot.

Just now, Bevis said:

There were those clamoring for Mahomes before the 2017 draft ya know and hated passing on a QB that fell into their lap when they really needed one.  One of them happens to be on the radio, a guy many of you think is an idiot.

And I wanted Watson.  My statement was that no one saw the kind of season Mahomes had last year before the draft.  And I stand by that.  If they had every team in the league would have tried to move up to the # 1 pick to grab him.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And I wanted Watson.  My statement was that no one saw the kind of season Mahomes had last year before the draft.  And I stand by that.  If they had every team in the league would have tried to move up to the # 1 pick to grab him.

Andy Reid did apparently. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Andy Reid did apparently. 

You and others need to read.  If any team  saw that Mahomes would have the year he had last year, they would have spent the farm to move up to # 1 to get him.  No one did including Reid.  And the reason they didn’t is because Mahomes had flaws coming out.

Anyone who says they knew Mahomes would be the guy we saw last year pre-draft is full of it.  

I think it's a massive red flag on the organization as a whole that we "weren't in a position to evaluate QB" in the 2017 draft (yet still took Peterman).  Feels like a lame attempt at an excuse after Mahomes and Watson have turned into what they have become because they don't want to say "we didn't think they'd be this good".

Just now, oldmanfan said:

You and others need to read.  If any team  saw that Mahomes would have the year he had last year, they would have spent the farm to move up to # 1 to get him.  No one did including Reid.  And the reason they didn’t is because Mahomes had flaws coming out.

Anyone who says they knew Mahomes would be the guy we saw last year pre-draft is full of it.  

That argument is such BS.  Of course no one knows what any player WILL be, it's what they think the player CAN be, that's called talent evaluation.  Ya know, the thing that is being called into question here concerning McDermott and him passing on Mahomes?  Jesus, it should not be this difficult.

1 minute ago, Bevis said:

That argument is such BS.  Of course no one knows what any player WILL be, it's what they think the player CAN be, that's called talent evaluation.  Ya know, the thing that is being called into question here concerning McDermott and him passing on Mahomes?  Jesus, it should not be this difficult.

You sound supppper sensitive

2 minutes ago, Bevis said:

No, you’re wrong.  People here are blasting McD for not taking him because he had this one great season that no one would have predicted.  One season.

If you tell me you thought Mahomes would have had the season he had last year in his first full season I call BS.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

No, you’re wrong.  People here are blasting McD for not taking him because he had this one great season that no one would have predicted.  One season.

If you tell me you thought Mahomes would have had the season he had last year in his first full season I call BS.

Mike Schopp is right, some of you will defend the Bills no matter what.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You’re right.  If teams had information that Mahomes would have had one of the greatest seasons ever in his second, he would have went number 1 overall.  Brilliant.  You also know that’s not how the draft works right?  It’s about projections.  Andy Reid, who had a qb who took him to the playoffs every season, traded up to get Mahomes instead of getting a player to help them immediately?  I would call that a pretty big statement of faith at how good he thought he was going to be.

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Tell you what.  Go back through your post history and copy the one you posted before the 2017 draft saying Mahomes would be a star.  Or pipe down.

There were concerns about Mahomes in terms of his footwork and his coming out of an offensive scheme that had never produced an NFL quality QB.  He had a great season last year, and no one would have seen it coming that early in his career before the 2017 draft.  And if you say you did you’re not telling the truth, that simple.

This retrospective critique stuff is fun to do.  I still cringe over the Lamonica trade.  But it accomplishes nothing. It lets people who have nowhere near the data teams have a reason to beeyatch.

Feel free to google my stuff.  I am from Cleveland and root for both the Browns and Bills.  My wish going into that draft was that one of my teams would get Mahomes.  Leroy I think it was scooped the trade and I said I hoped he was wrong because that meant in all likelihood KC would get him.  In 2018 I said I hoped the Bills and Browns would get Mayfield and Rosen.  I’ll take my lumps on Rosen, but Mayfield looks legit.

I didn’t expect Mahomes to be this good, this early, but I thought he had the best upside to be a franchise QB in that draft.  Believe me or don’t.  I don’t really care.

I think beane plays the game well. There is no chance he knew Oliver would fall into his lap and Williams would retire, that's just luck

Same with getting Edmunds and Allen. We needed a QB and MLB and they were sitting there and the draft played out well

Beane seems like he doesn't deviate from his plan, he isn't throwing crap at A wall and seeing what sticks