McBeane and draft timing

Dkollidas

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re right.  If teams had information that Mahomes would have had one of the greatest seasons ever in his second, he would have went number 1 overall.  Brilliant.  You also know that’s not how the draft works right?  It’s about projections.  Andy Reid, who had a qb who took him to the playoffs every season, traded up to get Mahomes instead of getting a player to help them immediately?  I would call that a pretty big statement of faith at how good he thought he was going to be.

Yes well not every FO has an Andy Reid. He is known for his success with makiing the most out of QBs.  31 other teams  most likely have 20/20 hindsight also.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bevis said:

Mike Schopp is right, some of you will defend the Bills no matter what.  

Over the years here I've observed an increasing sensitivity to anyone, fan or pundit, who even comes close to criticizing the team.  It could be GR, ESPN, or some NFL personality on Twitter.  People rush here to complain the Bills have been put down as if they themselves are the ones being criticized.    

I cannot understand how anyone so intensely personalizes criticism of their favorite team.  It's a game.  It's entertainment.  And if the team is mediocre, or average after off-seasons of rebuilding, people are going to call it out. 

This is going to be an interesting season regardless.

6 hours ago, Element115 said:

I need an explanation.  What we know about Allen to this point, "so far so good" is simply not the case. Is this a faith based determination?

Bills fans who "Billieve" have convinced themselves that Allen can't fail because they've convinced themselves that McDermott and Beane are infallible despite considerable evidence to the contrary.  

The reality is that in most drafts, there's only one QB who fits the description of "franchise QB" and only 4 draft classes -- 2004, 2005, 2008, 2016 -- had more than 1 first round pick who can be called a "franchise QB".   Three classes had no franchise QBs: 2002, 2007, and 2013.  2015 may be the fourth since there's lower round QBs of note in the class.

• 2000 -- 1 first rounder   - #18 - Chad Pennington  #199 - Tom Brady    Best QB -Tom Brady
  • 2001 -- 1 first rounder - #1 - Michael Vick  #32 - Drew Brees  Best QB - Brees
  • 2002 -- 3 first rounders - #1 David Carr  #3 Joey Harrington  #32 Patrick Ramsey 
  • 2003 - 4 first rounders - #1 Carson Palmer  #7 Byron Leftwich  #19 Kyle Boller #22 Rex Grossman   Best QB - Palmer
  • 2004 - 4 first rounders - #1 Eli Manning  #4 Phillip Rivers  #11 Ben Roethlisberger  #22 JP Losman  #90 Matt Schaub   Best QB: Roethlisberger or Rivers
  • 2005 - 3 first rounders - #1 Alex Smith  #24 Aaron Rodgers #25 Jason Campbell  Best QB: Rodgers
  • 2006 - 3 first rounders - #3 Vince Young  #10 Matt Leinart  #11 Jay Cutler  Best QB: Cutler
  • 2007 - 2 first rounders - #1 Ja'Marcus Russell  #22 Brady Quinn
  • 2008 - 2 first rounders - #3 Matt Ryan  #18 Joe Flacco   Best QB: Ryan
  • 2009 - 3 first rounders - #1 Matthew Stafford  #5 Mark Sanchez  #17 Josh Freeman   Best QB: Stafford
  • 2010 - 2 first rounders - #1 Sam Bradford  #25 Tim Tebow   Best QB: Bradford
  • 2011 - 4 first rounders - #1 Cam Newton #8 Jake Locker  #10 Blaine Gabbert  #12 Christian Ponder  #35 Andy Dalton  Best QB: Newton
  • 2012 - 4 first rounders - #1 Andrew Luck  #2 Robert Griffin III  #8 Ryan Tannehill  #22  Brandon Weed  #75 Russell Wilson  #88 Nick Foles  #117 Kirk Cousins
  • 2013 - 1 first rounder - #16 EJ Manuel 
  • 2014 - 3 first rounders - #3 Blake Bortles  #22 Johnny Manziel  #32  Teddy Bridgewater  #36 Derek Carr  #62 Jimmy Garoppolo
  • 2015 - 2 first rounders - #1 Jameis Winston  #2 Marcus Mariota
  • t2016 - 3 first rounders - #1 Jared Goff  #2 Carson Wentz  #26 Paxton Lynch  #91 Jacoby Brissett  #135 Dak Prescott
12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think we finally have a front office that evaluates players well, which makes drafting the BPA an effective policy.

Except that they have consistently drafted for need, especially in the first and second rounds.

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Ahhhh, the good ole thread hijacking. I suggest you go join Jeffismagic/Zero(whatever) over on the Chiefs' message board. 

Why is this "thread hijacking"?  The OP claimed that passing on a QB to take a CB because the Bills needed to replace Stephon Gilmore was the right move.   The truth is that Josh Allen is not, at this point, anywhere near being a competent NFL starting QB.  He may never become one -- or he might become a HOFer.  Nobody knows. Unless Mahomes implodes, however, it's very likely that Allen will always come up short compared to Mahomes.

Just now, SoTier said:

Why is this "thread hijacking"?  The OP claimed that passing on a QB to take a CB because the Bills needed to replace Stephon Gilmore was the right move.   The truth is that Josh Allen is not, at this point, anywhere near being a competent NFL starting QB.  He may never become one -- or he might become a HOFer.  Nobody knows. Unless Mahomes implodes, however, it's very likely that Allen will always come up short compared to Mahomes.

Because people love to turn anything and everything into re-hashed arguments about us passing on Mahomes. The horse has been beaten to death already, resurrected, and beaten to death again only about a billion times on this board. It takes away from the overall outlook of how it seems the Bills have positioned themselves for EACH draft and focuses on one single pick out of the numerous that have been made. Making it about a dead argument versus the broader spectrum he was getting at is indeed hijacking a thread, despite the mention he made of us passing on a single QB (or two as some guys were really in on Watson as well, with the main one people piss and moan over being Mahomes). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

An absolutely ridiculous assumption which would have seen the Bills penalised massively by the league if true 

I’m sure no one does anything that isn’t completely sanctioned by the league. They’re friends. They could’ve been at the combine and chatting and said “I like that guy”, and responded “yup, he’s gonna be a player, might even spend a 2nd Round Pick on a guy like that”. 

Not saying it did happen, but I wouldn’t see it as impossible

17 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

He's not expecting a top-15 pick, but the rest is plausible.

Bad choice of words on my part, didn’t mean to say that they should expect a top-15 Pick, I was just using a random draft spot as an example. 

21 hours ago, teef said:

wow.  you watched a netflix special about bob lazar.  you...are...deep.

While I have seen the Lazar documentary as well as the Joe Rogan Lazar podcast, that is not where I learned about the collaborative synthesis of elements 114 & 115. I don't recall exactly where, but it was years before that.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, Logic said:

You're the first person to ever say this. 

Great, hard hitting, original, thought provoking content.

Well done.

It's gotta' be said.

That decision looms over the McDermott regime..........which has a current record of 15-17 and is held together only by the benefit of the doubt.

And you know I am hardly surprised that Sears is letting their market trend analysts post on message boards during the middle of the day.   SMH

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you going to ride his jock through his whole career?

Let's put it this way...........if the topic is a dead horse then what does that make McBeane and Allen?

I've compared the situation to the Kelly/Marino many times............if the Bills select Marino instead of Kelly then Marino likely becomes a Bill in 1983 because he wanted to play in the NFL,  while JK was down for whatever.

And in year 2 Marino went ballistic on the AFC and it looked like they had passed on the future Greatest QB of all time.

As fate would have it the Bills still managed to dominate the AFC for most of Marino's career.    That's what I am hoping happens with Allen.    Passing on Mahomes and handing him to a long time AFC/AFL rival was horrible........but the situation is NOT a dead horse discussion yet...........not unless McDermott and Beane and Allen are cooked.........the Bills could still succeed.   Let's see it.

• Like (+1) 1

More of this endless teeth gnashing over something we never had. What a bunch of wimps. 

I know we had a couple around here that were pounding the table for Mahomes at the time and I truly respect that, but mostly its just the same hindsight geniuses whining like the little bi*tch*es they are.

Over and over and over again.

Since there is nothing that this ceaseless crybaby crap can do about it, I suggest growing a pair and accepting the current situation. 

10 hours ago, mattynh said:

Hughes just signed an extension but they still need a dominant pass rusher for sure.

I'm sure Beane has one scoped out in the 2021 draft already.  gods at drafting know these things years out, including which players will declare as juniors..  At least that's what I've heard here.  

Then again, when you've got 3 first round picks on the defense, one wonders how many more will be needed to round out that side.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

More of this endless teeth gnashing over something we never had. What a bunch of wimps. 

I know we had a couple around here that were pounding the table for Mahomes at the time and I truly respect that, but mostly its just the same hindsight geniuses whining like the little bi*tch*es they are.

Over and over and over again.

Since there is nothing that this ceaseless crybaby crap can do about it, I suggest growing a pair and accepting the current situation. 

Wow.

I have said some things on this board but even I would expect a time out for that.:lol:

The B word between white folks is the caucasian equivalent of the N word.........even I wouldn't circumvent the filter to use it in that context.........bravo classy K!:lol:

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wow.

I have said some things on this board but even I would expect a time out for that.:lol:

The B word between white folks is the caucasian equivalent of the N word.........even I wouldn't circumvent the filter to use it in that context.........bravo classy K!:lol:

Perhaps in your un-evolved, knuckle dragging existence. 

Sometimes, you have to say it like it is. Even if that means upsetting the knitting club of whiny, little wusses (is that gentler for you, dear?) that just can’t accept the reality of a given situation even after two and a half years. It’s pitiful. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Sometimes, you have to say it like it is. Even if that means upsetting the knitting club of whiny, little wusses (is that gentler for you, dear?) that just can’t accept the reality of a given situation even after two and a half years. It’s pitiful. 

I really hope you weren't like this in the break room with the other secretaries at OBD.    :cry:

You are clearly at the end of your rope........that's when people pull out the "you are a B word or N word which makes you less human than me so I don't have to entertain your thoughts" train of thought.   

You probably should just be ignoring the topic instead of showing us your pimply bare azz.:lol:

Trading the pick used to select Mahomes to the team that defeated you in Buffalo for a chance to go to Super Bowl I..........and has almost single handedly knocked the Bills out of playoff contention like 3 times in the last 6 years..............I mean it could get WORSE........like Mahomes winning a SB this year(God FORBID).......but it's really bad.

Chin up though........McBeane still have their chance to make it right even if you have already thrown in the towel.:thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You should get a warning point for bypassing the filter. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I really hope you weren't like this in the break room with the other secretaries at OBD.    :cry:

You are clearly at the end of your rope........that's when people pull out the "you are a B word or N word which makes you less human than me so I don't have to entertain your thoughts" train of thought.   

You probably should just be ignoring the topic instead of showing us your pimply bare azz.:lol:

Trading the pick used to select Mahomes to the team that defeated you in Buffalo for a chance to go to Super Bowl I..........and has almost single handedly knocked the Bills out of playoff contention like 3 times in the last 6 years..............I mean it could get WORSE........like Mahomes winning a SB this year(God FORBID).......but it's really bad.

Chin up though........McBeane still have their chance to make it right even if you have already thrown in the towel.:thumbsup:

:lol:

LMAO! I’ll have to add “self-righteous, sanctimonious, hypocrite” to my list of Badobilz synonyms. 

You’re still butt hurt about SB I?! :lol:  Poor little whiny baby, there’s just no getting over losing Mahomes for you is there? I hope Mahomes DOES win a SB, just to see if your level of toddler tantrum could reach a new level. My money is on you, Baby Hughey.

• Haha (+1) 1