Retired FB LeRon McClain Pleads for Help, "I have to get my head checked."

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I care it is sad he struggles (there does that make them feel better) BUT it was his choice, no reason to cry for more.

I care MORE about that HS player that has issues and GETS NADA

I care MORE about that College player that ISN'T compensated and his body and head used up.

The HS and College Football player have a choice too.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You want to ban football you better start banning other sports like hockey, MMA, boxing, NASCAR....

This is the crap we have to look forward to in the future. People telling you what you can and can’t do.

?

Seriously?

I aint telling you what you can and can't do. Do whatever you want. I'm telling you I side with labor, point blank always. Players vs NFL? I'm with the players. MAJBob vs US government, I'm with the major. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The NFLPA sucessfully sued the league for suppressing evidence of brain damage caused by pro football, so no; they actually didn't know what they were signing up for.

I was going to say - maybe today's players know what they're getting into.  But, that is only very recent.  

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

fair comment...  but i think you made the same point  multiple times

I have.  I'm not a fan of his opinion and it's not just me....we're ping ponging it back and forth.

Yep they do...  Hence why my kid isn't playing.  

But you feel more bad for the HS and college player when they are playing the same sport?  They all have the same choice.....

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have.  I'm not a fan of his opinion and it's not just me....we're ping ponging it back and forth.

But you feel more bad for the HS and college player when they are playing the same sport?  They all have the same choice.....

Absolutely I do because they WERE NOT justly Compensated for their work and have ZERO benefit package for their work

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Absolutely I do because they WERE NOT justly Compensated for their work

But they know, especially in 2019 with all the recent studies, and they are still playing the game even though they aren't getting compensated at all.

On page 2, you said "is Mclain that much of an idiot where he didn't know the long term affects?"  Does this mean all amateur football players are idiots because they KNOW all the long term affects and still play for free?

Now when did the NFL warn of this....  HMMMM 1997.  So want to keep saying these players didnt know?  More likely they DIDNT Care.

March 1997

NEW RETURN-TO-PLAY GUIDELINES

The guidelines from the American Academy of Neurology say that repetitive concussions can cause brain damage, and suggest that players be removed from the game if they lose consciousness or exhibit any concussion symptoms 15 minutes post-injury.

“Repeated concussions can cause cumulative brain injury in an individual over months or years,” the report warns.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

But they know, especially in 2019 with all the recent studies, and they are still playing the game even though they aren't getting compensated at all.

On page 2, you said "is Mclain that much of an idiot where he didn't know the long term affects?"  Does this mean all amateur football players are idiots because they KNOW all the long term affects and still play for free?

They are, if they want to say thy didnt know and play for free thy are Idiots.

Also in 2002 was when CTE was mentioned.  McClain started playing in the NFL in 2007.  

Edited by MAJBobby

Now when did the NFL warn of this....  HMMMM 1997.  So want to keep saying these players didnt know?  More likely they DIDNT Care.

March 1997

The guidelines from the American Academy of Neurology say that repetitive concussions can cause brain damage, and suggest that players be removed from the game if they lose consciousness or exhibit any concussion symptoms 15 minutes post-injury.

“Repeated concussions can cause cumulative brain injury in an individual over months or years,” the report warns.

That's just evidence of how little they knew, though, today they're finding the link between concussions and CTE isn't nearly as strong as TBI and CTE, ie concussions and CTE may be symptomatic of brain injuries rather than the concussion itself causing brain damage.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

That's just evidence of how little they knew, though, today they're finding the link between concussions and CTE isn't nearly as strong as TBI and CTE, ie concussions and CTE may be symptomatic of brain injuries rather than the concussion itself causing brain damage.

OK Cool, point is the PLAYERs know and knew well earlier than 2007.  And yet 1000's STILL make the choice to play and bank money.  So knowing that WHY should I really feel sympathetic again?

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

March 1997

They are, if they want to say thy didnt know and play for free thy are Idiots.

AGAIN...new research has taken place.  Here's the history of CTE and the NFL.

They didn't know the severity until there was much, much more research.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/30/us/nfl-concussions-fast-facts/index.html

2002 - Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist and co-founder of the Brain Injury Research Institute, identifies chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in the brain of former Pittsburgh Steelers' center Mike Webster, 50, who committed suicide. Omalu is the first to identify CTE in American football players.
January 2005 - The NFL's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee finds that returning to play after sustaining a concussion "does not involve significant risk of a second injury either in the same game or during the season."
2005 and 2006 - Dr. Omalu identifies CTE in the brains of former Pittsburgh Steelers players Terry Long and Andre Waters. Both had committed suicide.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

This should honestly be a bigger deal out there than it is. Current players and former players are definitely having issues. Back in the day before social media, it wasn't seen and rarely talked about; however with twitter, instagram, TMZ etc it is kinda hard to ignore this and not see it. This is a really big issue for not only the game, but for these affected players and their families. It's really sad to see and makes me question how I feel as a fan...

ritchie and mario come to mind. many, many more are sure to come.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Just now, MAJBobby said:

OK Cool, point is the PLAYERs know and knew well earlier than 2007.  And yet 1000's STILL make the choice to play and bank money.  So knowing that WHY should I really feel sympathetic again?

I already told you they didn't know about the link between football-related TBI and CTE. It's still not well understood. The NFL was not forthcoming with the research and actively suppressed findings that showed how dangerous the sport really was. These aren't really disputable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My issue with the whole CTE thing is what appears to be a double standard. The media. The fans. And yes, the players are all a part of it. We all want football to be safer for the players. The players preach about brotherhood and looking out for each other. But, then a big hit happens...crowds ooh and ahh, the media creates highlight clips that are looped over and over again, and players flex on the field like they are a real bad ass - all while their “brother” lays unconscious on the turf. Which way do they want it? Players know the risks. They have to. They aren’t slaves putting their bodies on the line purely for our entertainment. They are highly paid athletes that make the choice to play the game, and they get to revel in the glory of it. Until things go south...it sucks. But, don’t blame me as a fan. 

I’m a fence sitter on this one...

as referenced, the millions, or even hundreds of thousands, if used wisely will set you up to be well cared for if you get a job post football. 

But the idea of buy of buy a modest house, cook dinner and drive a used car til you become an accountant at 26 isn’t reality for most in any meaningful sense. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

AGAIN...new research has taken place.  Here's the history of CTE and the NFL.

They didn't know the severity until there was much, much more research.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/30/us/nfl-concussions-fast-facts/index.html

2002 - Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist and co-founder of the Brain Injury Research Institute, identifies chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in the brain of former Pittsburgh Steelers' center Mike Webster, 50, who committed suicide. Omalu is the first to identify CTE in American football players.
January 2005 - The NFL's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee finds that returning to play after sustaining a concussion "does not involve significant risk of a second injury either in the same game or during the season."
2005 and 2006 - Dr. Omalu identifies CTE in the brains of former Pittsburgh Steelers players Terry Long and Andre Waters. Both had committed suicide.

so in 2006  ok.  McClain started NFL in 2007 so he knew.  And the 10s of 1000s since then still know and take the risk