Food Insider - Best wings in Buffalo

Talley56

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It all depends what you consider Buffalo...

Bar Bill is fantastic but I don't consider east Aurora , buffalo proper , though it is WNY

Might have to sample some wings and come back with a qualified opinion

We appreciate your sacrifice in order to enlighten us.? 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

First stop little ceasers ?

Just doesn't sound right.... Lol

Needs to be a control though to keep it constant..  all medium, hot or charbbq

Yeah they did all medium in the video, but said they wish they did hot

Well, I know one thing for CERTAIN: That made me hungry!

As a PSA for those in the Atlanta area, there is a Duffs in Newnan, GA about 40 miles from my house. It was worth the trip! Not something I’ll do every weekend, but hopefully I’ll get back again. I had BIG eyes when ordering, which resulted in plenty of wings and half of a beef on weck to bring home. I normally wouldn’t have any interest in a leftover, cold wing....but these were a treat. 

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Yeah they did all medium in the video, but said they wish they did hot

Yep, and notice they chose Duff’s, where “medium is hot”.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

As a PSA for those in the Atlanta area, there is a Duffs in Newnan, GA about 40 miles from my house. It was worth the trip! Not something I’ll do every weekend, but hopefully I’ll get back again. I had BIG eyes when ordering, which resulted in plenty of wings and half of a beef on weck to bring home. I normally wouldn’t have any interest in a leftover, cold wing....but these were a treat. 

LOL I went and got wings for lunch after watching this hahahah, also agreed, would love to see them revisit this

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can vouge that medium is hot lol

I can get medium wings from 95% of pizzerias in Buffalo and they will be good but not too spicy

Duff's medium has me sweating like a stuffed pig..  hot, fugetaboutit

8 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Just spent a week in Buffalo, finally made it to Gabriel's Gate. Awesome wings. I do love Bar Bill though. Tough call between the two. 

Those are the two I’ve never been to, but hope to change that when I get back for the opener this year. Tried to get into Duffs last year, but the line to get in was crazy long, and I had other things to do, and foods to eat! A long weekend back in Buffalo can result in a food coma!  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

I guess I need to try Duff's again.  

Like many of you I now live in an area where if I want wings I'm better off making them at home.  Anyone found a difference in outcome based on how long you wait after frying to sauce or the temp of the sauce? 

I've found that if I immediately sauce after frying they'll be soggy quickly.  Warm or hot temp sauce will also contribute to sogginess.  Best results for me have been when waiting 2 or 3 minutes then hand brushing on a room temp sauce.  I get more room for error when using the base of the sauce is syrupy/sugary than vinegar heavy sauces.  I think it would be an interesting food lab experiment and I haven't seen any discussion of this final critical component of wing cookery.  I'll hang up now and hear your thoughts.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can vouge that medium is hot lol

I can get medium wings from 95% of pizzerias in Buffalo and they will be good but not too spicy

Duff's medium has me sweating like a stuffed pig..  hot, fugetaboutit

I don’t do “I dare you food”. Medium was just fine for me at Duff’s, though I usually get hot.

I was a t a pizza joint for lunch and a guy comes in and sits next to me at the bar. He orders some hot wings. They warn him that hot is really HOT! He says “that’s what beer is for”. 

After the first wing, I ask him how they are. He says they’re fine, no big deal. During his second wing he says “it builds on you.” He orders another beer. By the third wing his eyes are watering and he’s blowing his nose. MORE beer. He starts choking a little bit, and I move away slightly, in case he spontaneously combusts!

Pride got the better of him, and he insisted on finishing his order, but I promise he did NOT enjoy it! It wasn’t a hotter wet sauce, it was some kind of lethal rub. No thank you! 

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I guess I need to try Duff's again.  

Like many of you I now live in an area where if I want wings I'm better off making them at home.  Anyone found a difference in outcome based on how long you wait after frying to sauce or the temp of the sauce? 

I've found that if I immediately sauce after frying they'll be soggy quickly.  Warm or hot temp sauce will also contribute to sogginess.  Best results for me have been when waiting 2 or 3 minutes then hand brushing on a room temp sauce.  I get more room for error when using the base of the sauce is syrupy/sugary than vinegar heavy sauces.  I think it would be an interesting food lab experiment and I haven't seen any discussion of this final critical component of wing cookery.  I'll hang up now and hear your thoughts.

Despite his crotchety disposition, I must say that @plenzmd1 whips up fine wings at a tailgate. Everyone is good for something!  Sometimes you just have to look harder than others!  ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t do “I dare you food”. Medium was just fine for me at Duff’s, though I usually get hot.

I was a t a pizza joint for lunch and a guy comes in and sits next to me at the bar. He orders some hot wings. They warn him that hot is really HOT! He says “that’s what beer is for”. 

After the first wing, I ask him how they are. He says they’re fine, no big deal. During his second wing he says “it builds on you.” He orders another beer. By the third wing his eyes are watering and he’s blowing his nose. MORE beer. He starts choking a little bit, and I move away slightly, in case he spontaneously combusts!

Pride got the better of him, and he insisted on finishing his order, but I promise he did NOT enjoy it! It wasn’t a hotter wet sauce, it was some kind of lethal rub. No thank you! 

Despite his crotchety disposition, I must say that @plenzmd1 whips up fine wings at a tailgate. Everyone is good for something!  Sometimes you just have to look harder than others!  ? 

About 5 years ago at the Buffalo wing fest I tried the hottest wing at the festival

I had to sign a waiver..

After 1 bite my body immediately became numb and I thought I was dying...

Never again

• Haha (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Just spent a week in Buffalo, finally made it to Gabriel's Gate. Awesome wings. I do love Bar Bill though. Tough call between the two. 

I agree on this; my two favorites. The main differences don't have to do with the actual wings:

1. Longer drive to E-A.

2. Cash only for Bar Bill (not a big deal at all)

3. Bar Bill has more flavors.

4. You better get to Bar Bill at opening and be prepared to wait.

5. Nicer atmosphere at BB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I agree on this; my two favorites. The main differences don't have to do with the actual wings:

1. Longer drive to E-A.

2. Cash only for Bar Bill (not a big deal at all)

3. Bar Bill has more flavors.

4. You better get to Bar Bill at opening and be prepared to wait.

5. Nicer atmosphere at BB.

I don’t want to be all “get off my lawn” guy here, and I’m sure some of the extra flavors are good food, but this old guy thinks wings should be mild, medium or hot. Period. Anything else is, well......almost as bad as Ranch!!!  ?

• Like (+1) 2

Last trip to Garbiel's Gate in Allentown, they were very good.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I don’t want to be all “get off my lawn” guy here, and I’m sure some of the extra flavors are good food, but this old guy thinks wings should be mild, medium or hot. Period. Anything else is, well......almost as bad as Ranch!!!  ?

Try the Russian, for a taste of collusion.

• Haha (+1) 1