Food Insider - Best wings in Buffalo

Talley56

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I still have not been there yet but I am dying to go. Many of my family members say they are their favorite. I heard their Beef on Weck is stellar as well.  I will be heading there when I come to town for a game in November.

I usually find Anchor Bar too saucy and Duffs crispy and not over sauced. We have a Duffs in the Atlanta area now too, which is a huge bonus.  If you don't prefer the "big 3", which ones are your favorite.  (p.s., I agree that Anchor Bar is for tourists)

I never had Bar-Bill BoW, but it looked good in the video. I highly recommend the Glen Park Tavern on Main Street in Williamsville for their beef. Spectacular. Wings are pretty good, too.

A couple of my favorite wing joints have closed down. Tally Ho in Niagara Falls (no relation to Rick's Tally Ho) was fabulous. But the best may have been Rootie's pub, near the UB Amherst campus. Their very available 2-4-1 coupons didn't hurt, either.

Mr Dee's has always been a place that had, not the best, but damn good wings and BoW. Had both in July, and they weren't quite as good as they had been in the past. Could have just been a bad day. I'll have to try again.  In the same category as Dee's (and Glen Park) was Mister Bills, which recently closed I heard. Too bad. That was a good place, too. Great pre-post airport run places to stop.

Grew up in east aurora and the bar-bill on Tuesday at one time buy one get one. Never happen now at the tourist stop

There are other places in east aurora folks. Wally’s and tony  Rome’s are really good. I swear the owner now pays for the publicity.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Thanks for mentioning this place; never heard of it, but put it on the list of places I will have to try next time in town. Good reviews.

I usually stay the first night or two at the Hampton Inn right there. I’m not sure if I’ve had the wings at Glen Park Tavern, but I like the joint. I’ll try the wings for the opener. I also go to the Creekside/Creekview right there because it feels like home. The name and owners have changed, but I went there often as a kid. Several other places nearby in stumbling distance. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I usually stay the first night or two at the Hampton Inn right there. I’m not sure if I’ve had the wings at Glen Park Tavern, but I like the joint. I’ll try the wings for the opener. I also go to the Creekside/Creekview right there because it feels like home. The name and owners have changed, but I went there often as a kid. Several other places nearby in stumbling distance. 

I used to bartend at the Creekview.

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

You just may have poured me a cold one! I still love going back there. 

The last time I was there was February 2018. Was still about the same. I like to stop in if I'm in the neighborhood. 

My friend worked there when it was the Creekside and they carved the beef behind the bar. By the time I worked there it was the Creekview. Early 80's I'm guessing.

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

The last time I was there was February 2018. Was still about the same. I like to stop in if I'm in the neighborhood. 

My friend worked there when it was the Creekside and they carved the beef behind the bar. By the time I worked there it was the Creekview. Early 80's I'm guessing.

Oh, I was there early 80’s for sure! Went off to college in Cincinnati in ‘77, but came back to visit family and friends into the mid-‘80’s. I don’t remember carving the beef behind the bar. Honestly, I go back more for the nostalgia than the quality these days.

Last year I left the airport and drove straight to Schwabl’s. Delightful! 

19 hours ago, The Dean said:

I never had Bar-Bill BoW, but it looked good in the video. I highly recommend the Glen Park Tavern on Main Street in Williamsville for their beef. Spectacular. Wings are pretty good, too.

A couple of my favorite wing joints have closed down. Tally Ho in Niagara Falls (no relation to Rick's Tally Ho) was fabulous. But the best may have been Rootie's pub, near the UB Amherst campus. Their very available 2-4-1 coupons didn't hurt, either.

Mr Dee's has always been a place that had, not the best, but damn good wings and BoW. Had both in July, and they weren't quite as good as they had been in the past. Could have just been a bad day. I'll have to try again.  In the same category as Dee's (and Glen Park) was Mister Bills, which recently closed I heard. Too bad. That was a good place, too. Great pre-post airport run places to stop.

?

Edited by BuffaloBud

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I’ve always thought Duffs was the best.  What’s wild is how large and meaty wings have become.  Back on the $.10 wing days there was really no meat.  Hormones and good knows what else have turned wings into monsters these days.

Up until the recipe was invented... The whole wing was thrown away.  Must have not really been worth it back in the day.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, HopsGuy said:

I’ve made baked wings at home using Alton Brown’s “The Wing & I” method. You have to steam them first, chill, then bake on high. They come out pretty good.

I used to always use this method, but have switched to this when I want to do oven wings instead of fried

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1