8 players explain how the Bills culture has evolved during the Sean McDermott era

WhoTom

I'd like to hear from some of the players not retained on they think of Coach McD's culture. A few have said they were disappointed they were not retained and thought Bills were on way up but not a lot of comments on those leaving.  When I have time I am going to see how many who have left are still playing and how many seem to be doing better.  I know some were let go for players' perceived value were higher than team's perceived value of them.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

True but their core players were together for 3-4 years before they got really good and developed that chemistry. 

I think there's way more examples of teams with big egos and troubled players crashing and burning than succeeding. Great coaching and leadership is crucial for them , going to be a tough job for a Rookie HC.

They look good on paper but very top heavy imo , not much depth either.

Talent trumps chemistry every time, although with a HC who is a strong leader and understands his people assembling multiple big talent players with egos can work.  Let's wait and see if Freddie Kitchens has the ability to manage these egos before predicting they'll crash and burn.

Ultimately, I think criticism of teams like Cleveland (at this point) is a sort of Bills fan inferiority complex.  It's so predictable here over the years for some fans to try and drag down other teams because the Bills aren't exceptionally talented.  They do have players with potential, but no All-Pro caliber and few Pro Bowl players yet.  People hope young players like Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, and Tre will become that, but they're not proven. 

We're going to find out this year whether McBeane's roster (and it's theirs now) has the talent to win 10+ games and get to the playoffs.  Because having lesser talented players who buy-in to the HC's culture isn't enough to do that.

11 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The late 80s/early 90s Bills managed pretty well with several egos.  

Jim Kelly never grabbed his crotch at his opponent.

Andre Reed never performed multiple sideline sideshow acts on the sideline during any game.

Marv Levy was an experienced coach who didn't put up with what Freddie Kitchens will.

Don't confuse the passion to be the best sometimes ending in conflict vs. selfish and/or "look at me" players overflowing with antics and sideshow clips.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

59 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Andre Reed never performed multiple sideline sideshow acts on the sideline during any game.

Marv Levy was an experienced coach who didn't put up with what Freddie Kitchens will.

Don't confuse the passion to be the best sometimes ending in conflict vs. selfish and/or "look at me" players overflowing with antics and sideshow clips.

That's one part I will disagree with.  The Bills in the 90's were very active in the party scene.  Cornelius Bennett years ago was on the local Atlanta radio show.

The radio guys asked about the Super Bowls.  He lost one with the Falcons as well. 

Bennett said that they were partying all night before Super Bowl 25 and they were exhausted early in the game.....dead by the end of it.  I think Levy had the leash a little too loose with these guys.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean I get it. It's July. They can't win games in July.

I just don't buy this stuff at all. We've seen and heard all the fluff pieces every offseason only to have the team go up in flames in the regular season. Some how fans still fall for it year after year. 

But not you. You will always bet the under.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Some will always bet against the Bills. They should not be criticized being happier when Bills lose.

Not sure you worded that right but I think I know what you mean. To me you can't dog a team all year, then climb on board the bandwagon when they turn out good.  You can be critical if you have something legit to point to. But to say "well it's always been that way before" is just being lazy.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The late 80s/early 90s Bills managed pretty well with several egos.  

the egos on that team came with years of proven production.  Were they managed well or did they come up short because of it ?  Bruce Smith was the prima-donna of the bunch.. but he was also a living legend in the making at the time. The rest had mild egos IMO compared to many of the athletes today.. Then again we didn't have 24/7 social media

26 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Some will always bet against the Bills. They should not be criticized being happier when Bills lose.

on a Bills fan forum.. yes they should

Edited by ddaryl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I just don't buy this stuff at all. We've seen and heard all the fluff pieces every offseason only to have the team go up in flames in the regular season. Some how fans still fall for it year after year. 

I hear you. Every year there is some imaginative way to create optimism. Now the Bills want us to identify with them by appealing to our values...things that are important to us everyday equated with the growth of a football team. Ok...you have our attention...now go win football games!

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's one part I will disagree with.  The Bills in the 90's were very active in the party scene.  Cornelius Bennett years ago was on the local Atlanta radio show.

The radio guys asked about the Super Bowls.  He lost one with the Falcons as well. 

Bennett said that they were partying all night before Super Bowl 25 and they were exhausted early in the game.....dead by the end of it.  I think Levy had the leash a little too loose with these guys.

I don't think any of the coaches the Bills faced in those 4 SB's, or even many others, could ever have got the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls. But also think any of those 4 would have won one with the Bills.

I haven't read through all the replies here, so my apologies if I missed anything.  But I wanted to comment after readying/watching it all, and say a BIG thank you for posting this!  Oh baby, am I ready for this season!  I really think they're building something special for this year, and seasons to come!

And Meatball;  LOVE THAT GUY!  I'm a southern boy too, so I'll listen to his twang all day long! :)

Shout out to my SOONER rookie - let's go Cody Ford!!!!

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I understand what you're getting at, but let's give McDermott and this team a chance to show that the "process" is more than a platitude.  I think those expecting 11-5 will be just as disappointed as those expecting 5-11.  They're still a couple of players away from a deep in the playoffs team, as well as McDermott gaining more experience as a game day coach.  It appears they are on the right track and this year will be indicative as to how close or far a McDermott lead team is or has to go.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What choice do I have? I'm a fan. I have no say in the organizational decision.

Im just saying I have seen and heard all the PR yada yada in the offseason before, means absolutely nothing. Just go win games. No more excuses.

Completely agree with the bolded.  They need to back the PR/puff pieces up on the field with W's, which includes coaching decisions to focus on winning and not keeping the game close or worse yet, playing not to lose.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

17 hours ago, eball said:

Yes!  I was so pleased to read that comment.  McD is driven to get better himself in every aspect of the job, which means opening himself up to criticism.  This is such a solid foundation they are building...god I hope the players have the combination of talent and drive to get it done.  If they get on a roll, watch out.

Exactly.  I mean, can you imagine Rex Ryan (even though I, personally, didn't hate him) asking to be critiqued by players he was coaching?  I don't think it would happen.  But do you think a Marv Levy (circa 1998-99) would have welcomed such feedback?  I do.

And no, I'm not comparing coaches here;  just an element of style I think they probably share.

13 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

LOL, I'm guessing you're an Ohio State fan;  don't confuse brashness and bravado with thuggery.  Baker is/will prove to be a stud.  He's also a leader of men;  as our very own Cody Ford would attest. (And yes, I'm severely biased, as an OU diehard) :)

22 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

True but their core players were together for 3-4 years before they got really good and developed that chemistry. 

They were together for 1.75 years before they went 12-4 in 1988.

Edited by from_dunkirk

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not sure you worded that right but I think I know what you mean. To me you can't dog a team all year, then climb on board the bandwagon when they turn out good.  You can be critical if you have something legit to point to. But to say "well it's always been that way before" is just being lazy.

Well you can if you have multiple personalities. I am sure the dominant "realistic" side would blame mental illness on Bills and think the Bills should pay for therapy.  I agree as long as part of therapy is a white coat with long sleeves and not allowed access to a keyboard or "smartphone".