Prediction: Bills Will Keep ALL their RBs

Going into training camp I've heard quite a bit about the Bills' crowded backfield and who will end up being cut or inactive.

Additionally, there's been much talk of the devaluing of the RB position as though it is not important any more.

One distinction that isn't getting made is that the RB position is being massively devalued monetarily (no teams want to pay or extend RBs) but the value on the football field is actually rising. This is true even as passing increases because of the way RBs are being used.

What's valuable now is not the highly paid "bell cow" but the versatile stable of cheap RBs that can create mismatches out of RB/FB heavy personnel groups.

Look at the Patriots. They MASSIVELY value running backs - they just don't pay them. If RBs weren't important Belichick wouldn't keep drafting them in the top 3 rounds

- Sony Michel $917K (1st round, 2018)

- James White $2.5M

- Rex Burkhead $1.75M

- Damien Harris - Rookie, 3rd rounder

- Brandon Bolden $1M

- James Develin $1M

They aren't wondering who is going to get cut in NE. At least 5 of those guys make the team, if not all six. And NE will use them in a multitude of different formations and situations. They are all unique weapons, whether it be running inside, outside, splitting wide, blocking, catching the ball, etc.

Which is why when it comes to the Bills, I see Daboll looking at BB and doing the same thing. Barring injury, Shady, Gore, Singletary, Yeldon, and DiMarco are ALL MAKING THE TEAM. It's not a problem - it's a new strategy in the modern NFL.

Edited by Flip Johnson

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills have 7 HBs and 1 FB on their roster.  They're not keeping all and probably won't keep more than 4 HBs.

Tommy Sweeney may well replace Patrick DiMarco in the fullback role.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

Going into training camp I've heard quite a bit about the Bills' crowded backfield and who will end up being cut or inactive.

Additionally, there's been much talk of the devaluing of the RB position as though it is not important any more.

One distinction that isn't getting made is that the RB position is being massively devalued monetarily (no teams want to pay or extend RBs) but the value on the football field is actually rising. This is true even as passing increases because of the way RBs are being used.

What's valuable now is not the highly paid "bell cow" but the versatile stable of cheap RBs that can create mismatches out of RB/FB heavy personnel groups.

Look at the Patriots. They MASSIVELY value running backs - they just don't pay them. If RBs weren't important Belichick wouldn't keep drafting them in the top 3 rounds

- Sony Michel $917K (1st round, 2018)

- James White $2.5M

- Rex Burkhead $1.75M

- Damien Harris - Rookie, 3rd rounder

- Brandon Bolden $1M

- James Develin $1M

They aren't wondering who is going to get cut in NE. At least 5 of those guys make the team, if not all six. And NE will use them in a multitude of different formations and situations. They are all unique weapons, whether it be running inside, outside, splitting wide, blocking, catching the ball, etc.

Which is why when it comes to the Bills, I see Daboll looking at BB and doing the same thing. Barring injury, Shady, Gore, Singletary, Yeldon, and DiMarco are ALL MAKING THE TEAM. It's not a problem - it's a new strategy in the modern NFL.

Doubt it...this means you only keep 4 pass catchers and Roberts.

P..S- Beane is going to add another WR once the surprise cuts start coming out in August.

I'm looking at Murphy losing out..I love him but not as a returner.

Go back ..look at the '18 preseason footage.He's a natural bull..you need a yard on 4th and one??? You call his number.imo

8 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'm looking at Murphy losing out..I love him but not as a returner.

Go back ..look at the '18 preseason footage.He's a natural bull..you need a yard on 4th and one??? You call his number.imo

This is Gore’s role.  He is still the best at it.  

Just now, FLFan said:

This is Gore’s role.  He is still the best at it.  

I'm not sold on that fact yet,FLFan.

He's another year older and isn't in Rochester on day one.

This is a rumour that I heard...he signed with the Bills because his son had plans to attend UB.Again..this is local word,the latest I have heard is his son is not on the Bulls squad.

Who knows..strange things happen in August.

Just sayin.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

I'm not sold on that fact yet,FLFan.

He's another year older and isn't in Rochester on day one.

This is a rumour that I heard...he signed with the Bills because his son had plans to attend UB.Again..this is local word,the latest I have heard is his son is not on the Bulls squad.

Who knows..strange things happen in August.

Just sayin.

Fair enough.  Let’s see how it plays out, but I would be surprised if Murphy rises to the upper level of this group, even if Gore is out.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills have 7 HBs and 1 FB on their roster.  They're not keeping all and probably won't keep more than 4 HBs.

...sounds about right....we got thinned out quickly with injuries to Murphy, Jones as well as Shady's occasional hammy...even the Ford kid got some PT......

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wouldn’t it be nice to know in advance which position is going to be devastated by injury??? Seems to be the way it works.....

Hey..we have a new carpet,that should help?

I still don't know why we don't go natural.

Green Bay,Pittsburgh,Cleveland,Washington,Chicago do it.

rockpile style..get 'em muddy.

Signed,

Joe DeLamielleure

Edited by Misterbluesky

45 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Did you watch him at BC? My buddy has season tickets and assures me that Sweeney will end up being the starting TE here. 

I thought the scouting report was he is a blocking TE more than a receiver?