Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Thrill

Which Buffalo Bills Starting Lineup Figures Did You Own?

Recommended Posts

 

One of my early sports memories was collecting Kenner’s Starting Lineup sports Figures.  

 

I started collecting MLB figures but once I started following the Bills, I moved onto NFL figures.   

 

Ironically, the only Bills figure that I owned was..... former WR Chris Burkett.  Hardly the most well-known player.  But if I recall Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas were popular Bills Figures.

 

I did have other NFL figures like Bo Jackson, Warren Moon, Joe Montana and Dan Marino.  But for some reason, I never had any other Bills.

 

So I’m wondering which Bills Startling Lineup Figures you had or still have.  

 

I was at a yard sale the other day and found several carded NFL and NHL players for $5.  I quickly searched their value on eBay and found that, unfortunately, they didn’t sell for much more that $5....and that’s new and never opened.  So if you played with your figures, it’s even less.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent topic.  I have an André Reed one (that looks nothing like him) and a Quinn Early one that my Pats fan friend (he’s a terrible person) gave me as a gift of him leaping to catch a pass.  They flank my fish tank next to Darryl Strawberry.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sculpts on those things were pretty terrible. The Mcfarlane figs put the kabosh on them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother and I had the team set in like 1990 - Bruce, Kelly, Thurman, Andre, Cornelius Bennett wearing #55 and I think Shane Conlan tok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every one of them from every year. Many still unopened. They improved significantly each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Bledsoe bobble head the first year we picked him up... looked pretty realistic (while bobbling)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember my dad had one of biscuit with the 55 jersey.  Looked literally nothing like him.  Actually resembled my doc gooden figure more than it resembled Cornelius himself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a big collection of the MacFarlane ones (now there's a new manufacturer making them I think) the new ones just seem to be the same figure painted differently, I have a Miller Canucks and a Holtby Team Canada hockey ones at work on my desk that are just different paint jobs. I also have a big bobblehead collection at home too, mostly the ones that were giveaways at Jays games.

 

I have seen a few old starting lineup ones around but never collected them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

sculpts on those things were pretty terrible. The Mcfarlane figs put the kabosh on them 

 

Yes the quality was better but I think there’s a difference.  These figures were designed for kids to play with, like how they played with GI Joes etc.  McFarlane’s were more like collectibles.  You put it one a desk or table as a display.  

 

Starting Lineups were cheap action figures for kids 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

WwwaaaYyyyyy too many. Now the SLU trademark is owned by a company in tampa who makes them for SGAs. I remembered how cool it was waiting for the checklists each year when i was a kid. They used to always make the stars and then in later years just cherry picked 1 or 2 players from each team. The blue and gold sabres were cool from 94/95 - lafontaine, fuhr, hasek, and mogilny. Anyway, im proud to say that once I saw the company that did the SGAs were around I pitched the idea to my boss and he had me get in touch with them to get the specs and they ended up doing a Eichel in partnership with the Sabres. It made me smile knowing the 1st SLU in Buffalo in over 20 yrs was indirectly my idea:)

Edited by gobills1212

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Every one of them from every year. Many still unopened. They improved significantly each year.

I remember the electronic/magnetic game...every couple of plays the QB or RB would run in the opposite direction for a safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Every one of them from every year. Many still unopened. They improved significantly each year.

 

If you want to get rid of them, I will take them off your hands for free

43 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

WwwaaaYyyyyy too many. Now the SLU trademark is owned by a company in tampa who makes them for SGAs. I remembered how cool it was waiting for the checklists each year when i was a kid. They used to always make the stars and then in later years just cherry picked 1 or 2 players from each team. The blue and gold sabres were cool from 94/95 - lafontaine, fuhr, hasek, and mogilny. Anyway, im proud to say that once I saw the company that did the SGAs were around I pitched the idea to my boss and he had me get in touch with them to get the specs and they ended up doing a Eichel in partnership with the Sabres. It made me smile knowing the 1st SLU in Buffalo in over 20 yrs was indirectly my idea:)

 

I remember the checklists too.  Back then it was a fun time to be a kid and go follow sports.  Seems like times were more simple then

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

 

Yes the quality was better but I think there’s a difference.  These figures were designed for kids to play with, like how they played with GI Joes etc.  McFarlane’s were more like collectibles.  You put it one a desk or table as a display.  

 

Starting Lineups were cheap action figures for kids 

Dont think too many kids played with static sports figures in either case  Not knocking starting lineups,  they had a good thing and made tons of money  The 1 on 1's were actually kind of cool.  I have a few totes sitting somewhere in the warehouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

I had a Bledsoe bobble head the first year we picked him up... looked pretty realistic (while bobbling)

 

..probably the ONLY thing that moved...............

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andre Reed, Cornelius Bennett, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly... I made sure I had every Bills one they made, and stuck Dre on my Bills hard hat on the front :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

 

If you want to get rid of them, I will take them off your hands for free

 

I remember the checklists too.  Back then it was a fun time to be a kid and go follow sports.  Seems like times were more simple then

I wish the new ones were more in the spirit of the old ones articulation wise but for a throwback product, beggers cant be choosers! 

I thought it was cool that even after kelly retired we got a jimbo in the classic doubles w Aikman and even an Ames exclusive!...which was oddly in the running pose:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Believe it or not, Ronnie Harmon is the most expensive one due to how rare it was in production.  It slipped right through my hands a few years ago on eBay

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 8:04 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

So if you played with your figures, it’s even less.

Also, 5 ‘Hail Marys’ (the prayer, not the pass) from Father O’Leary at Confession.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

..probably the ONLY thing that moved...............

The players on the old ‘vibrating table’ football games had better mobility than ‘Buffalo Drew’.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Dont think too many kids played with static sports figures in either case  Not knocking starting lineups,  they had a good thing and made tons of money  The 1 on 1's were actually kind of cool.  I have a few totes sitting somewhere in the warehouse

 

I don’t know about that.  My friends and I who were really getting into sports did and I’m sure many others did as well.

 

Yes they were static and not very posable but there were many figures like that in the 80’s and into the 90’s.  Perhaps that’s why they never really took off like some other lines, you couldn’t really do a whole lot with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...