major

Josh Allen reminds me of Ken Stabler

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

McNair was a beast of a runner who was not afraid to punish would be ball carriers

He also leaped over guys into the endzone before

Legend has it Josh Allen leaped over a monster Viking one day on the gridiron. Sounds like McNair ran downhill then? I imagine there has to be other successful quarterbacks using the rushing option early in the play as sort of a coverage read knowing they can embarrass the spy a la Kiko Alonso. JA went right for him.. cause he knew Kiko was a bad spy generally looking to hit defenseless QBs. McNair might be a strong comp then. I can't think of many great quarterbacks with that rushing style.

AND KIKO TURNED HIS BACK BEFORE CONTACT. Fantastic JA. Kiko acted tough when QBs slide right in front of him after the whistle. He certainly was not prepared for a QB, and one of the bigger rushers he's had to tackle in his career, heat seeking him with the truck stick.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Legend has it Josh Allen leaped over a monster Viking one day on the gridiron. Sounds like McNair ran downhill then? I imagine there has to be other successful quarterbacks using the rushing option early in the play as sort of a coverage read knowing they can embarrass the spy a la Kiko Alonso. JA went right for him.. cause he knew Kiko was a bad spy generally looking to hit defenseless QBs. McNair might be a strong comp then. I can't think of many great quarterbacks with that rushing style.

There aren't many which is why McNair is my comp since day 1

McNair was recruited as a college RB, he was physical and fast and decisive like Josh.

As soon as I saw Joah run in the league I got visions of McNair. McNair would PUNISH would be tacklers and would leave his feet and fly in the air

He also had a cannon

Kaep was a downhill runner for 2 years but didn't have a career of success

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

McNair was a real bruiser, not afraid of contact.  Allen has been pretty "restrained" running (except for when he catapulted over one guy)  i shudder to think of Allen taking on some of the hits McNair took.

Allen did not get down vs Safeties and Corners and some linebackers last year

He would stiff arm , hesitate, or go full shoulder into them. He took alot of contact

Which is not a big deal because he is bigger than 210 pound safeties but he was far from restrained

He runs like a man possessed... Which is how you should run if you take off

When he gets in the secondary he is the biggest guy.. he needs to worry about 300 pound lineman falling on his shoulder or putting a helmet on his knee and an occasional LBr

When he finally gets 15 yards downfield and he outran LBrs he is the biggest dude downfield

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

With the protection he had last year, he reminded me of a guy running from a 7.2 earthquake.

I was just in that 7.1 earthquake. I couldn't move,  I could only look around at everything moving .

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen reminds of..............

Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Allen did not get down vs Safeties and Corners and some linebackers last year

He would stiff arm , hesitate, or go full shoulder into them. He took alot of contact

Which is not a big deal because he is bigger than 210 pound safeties but he was far from restrained

He runs like a man possessed... Which is how you should run if you take off

When he gets in the secondary he is the biggest guy.. he needs to worry about 300 pound lineman falling on his shoulder or putting a helmet on his knee and an occasional LBr

When he finally gets 15 yards downfield and he outran LBrs he is the biggest dude downfield

I think it's safer personally so long as he picks and chooses his battles. A lot of QB horror stories are just cause they end up giving themselves up far too late for a MLB to nail them. Either go down or out of bounds early enough or finish your run strong. Giving yourself up in the middle of the field without establishing a slide is the last thing and a lot of guys brainfart at that moment. 

7 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I think it's safer personally so long as he picks and chooses his battles. A lot of QB horror stories are just cause they end up giving themselves up far too late for a MLB to nail them. Either go down or out of bounds early enough or finish your run strong. Giving yourself up in the middle of the field without establishing a slide is the last thing and a lot of guys brainfart at that moment. 

I'm the same way. QB scrambling is ALL ABOUT TIMING.

If Josh can time his scrambles to when teams are in cover 1 or 0 , STRICTLY man with everybody's back turned...

He can take off , grab 10-15 and slide

Running head on into spies and zone coverage is completely different

Posted (edited)

I would say he really doesn't remind me of anyone as of right now. I mean he has obviously only played 1 season and missed a few games due to injury. So IMO it's too early to compare him to anyone really.

Definitely feel pretty good about him thus far and have high hopes, but speaking for myself as of right now it's just too early to compare him to anyone for now or he doesn't remind me of any past QB or anyone, except Josh Allen.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

He’s more of a bigger, stronger, faster John Elway. I don’t see the Snake in him at all.

2 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Interesting comp. A nice one that doesn't come up a lot in QB comps. I can see some Stabler in him for sure.

Does no one see Brett Favre in him? That's been my comp to the tee. I'd have thought it would come up more often. Favre even ran those north south scrambles like Josh does when they'd choose to take off. Favre not as often or as fast, but he ran vertically for solid gains every few games. He definitely dropped the scrambling altogether after like 5 years as a young buck. But his instincts, catching the secondary cheating on an unconventional read with his arm power, leadership, confidence, occasional recklessness, willingness to take off when the defense is off guard, and general unpredictability (in a positive way) in his play all give me Favre vibes.

And I strongly disagree with the Steve Young comparisons.. I see nothing to that comp other than running quarterbacks. Completely different style of scrambling too IMO. Elway I can understand.

You saying Josh Allen doesn't get any action??

Favre is who I thought of

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm the same way. QB scrambling is ALL ABOUT TIMING.

If Josh can time his scrambles to when teams are in cover 1 or 0 , STRICTLY man with everybody's back turned...

He can take off , grab 10-15 and slide

Running head on into spies and zone coverage is completely different

...if, IF you want him to be the long term, franchise QB for this club, he needs to do just that.....hate to see a kid with this promise on a career ending gurney ride.......McNair has been gone 10 years......perhaps a more current comparison is the beating Cam has been taking of late....think he is around 250.....certainly appears (yes, ON PAPER SO FAR) that McBeane has orchestrated a substantial upgrade of talent offensively....Josh needs to realize that new weaponry, exploit it and no longer play like he is the only 50 cal on the ship....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if, IF you want him to be the long term, franchise QB for this club, he needs to do just that.....hate to see a kid with this promise on a career ending gurney ride.......McNair has been gone 10 years......perhaps a more current comparison is the beating Cam has been taking of late....think he is around 250.....certainly appears (yes, ON PAPER SO FAR) that McBeane has orchestrated a substantial upgrade of talent offensively....Josh needs to realize that new weaponry, exploit it and no longer play like he is the only 50 cal on the ship....

Cam has only missed 4 games in his almost 10 year career

He's a horse

I will wait for Josh to show up in big games before comparing him to a great of the history of the game

• Like (+1) 1

My buddy played golf with him today in Tahoe. Awaiting to hear the day’s results. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Cam has only missed 4 games in his almost 10 year career

He's a horse

..and EXACTLY where did I question his durability?....his recent surgeries and less than "Cam like" performances certainly leads one to question as to whether his style is now taking its toll...

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..and EXACTLY where did I question his durability?....his recent surgeries and less than "Cam like" performances certainly leads one to question as to whether his style is now taking its toll...

You did say "beating cam Newton has taken" 

And Cam Just isn't the most naturally accurate passer so his legs have always opened the pass game. When you force him to pass and he has no run game his game has always taken a hit.. no pun intended...

I would say it's more coordinators have learned how to contain Cam than surgeries and beatings have hindered him

We need Allen to develop into a better pocket passer than Cam while keeping them honest with legs

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

He reminds me of a mobile Kerry Collins.

No room for argument on that yet.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You did say "beating cam Newton has taken" 

And Cam Just isn't the most naturally accurate passer so his legs have always opened the pass game. When you force him to pass and he has no run game his game has always taken a hit.. no pun intended...

I would say it's more coordinators have learned how to contain Cam than surgeries and beatings have hindered him

We need Allen to develop into a better pocket passer than Cam while keeping them honest with legs

...EXACTLY my point......where are we having an apparent DISCONNECT?...............

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...EXACTLY my point......where are we having an apparent DISCONNECT?...............

I don't think we are

Except that Allen's running doesn't bother me rn and I know you don't like it much

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was thinking Elway

except for the tiny small fact that Elway was accurate...and that he made smarter decisions.

they are both big and tough...thats something. And both are confident guys.Allen is probably the better runner.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Tcali said:

except for the tiny small fact that Elway was accurate...and that he made smarter decisions.

they are both big and tough...thats something. And both are confident guys.Allen is probably the better runner.

hard for me to compare JA to anyone at this point. maybe after a few seasons after he has developed.

not comparing JA to JE but had to add that JE had a pretty rough rookie season as well.

stats.jpg

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

Little bit like Elway or maybe Cam Newton.  Hopefully one day we'll be saying that new qb reminds me of Josh Allen back in the day

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think we are

Except that Allen's running doesn't bother me rn and I know you don't like it much

...it is a dynamic hard to deny or squash......just prefer it to be the discretionary and "smart" choice for his longevity sake.....

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

With the protection he had last year, he reminded me of a guy running from a 7.2 earthquake.

Would that be Rivers or Garapalo. 

• Haha (+1) 1