No Women's World Cup thread?

I love how women keep saying (like Serena last year at the US Open) how men would never be criticized for such and such.............Actually, they would be and have been forever:

"I feel that there is some sort of double standard for females in sports," Morgan said, "to feel like we have to be humble in our successes and have to celebrate, but not too much or in a limited fashion. You see men celebrating all over the world in big tournaments, grabbing their sacks or whatever it is. And when I look at sipping a cup of tea, I am a little taken aback by the criticism."

This is part of the celebration in men's soccer?  I'm glad I don't watch it!  

55 minutes ago, bbb said:

I love how women keep saying (like Serena last year at the US Open) how men would never be criticized for such and such.............Actually, they would be and have been forever:

"I feel that there is some sort of double standard for females in sports," Morgan said, "to feel like we have to be humble in our successes and have to celebrate, but not too much or in a limited fashion. You see men celebrating all over the world in big tournaments, grabbing their sacks or whatever it is. And when I look at sipping a cup of tea, I am a little taken aback by the criticism."

This is part of the celebration in men's soccer?  I'm glad I don't watch it!  

They’ve been playing this bullsh— card since day 1.  

Male athletes are endlessly criticized for virtually everything, on and off the field;  end-zone celebrations, how fast they run if they hit an HR, how they announce free agent decisions, what they post on social media, etc.

Yet when this group of conceited snots gets the least bit of criticism for the ultimate classless move — running up the score on a completely overmatched opponent — they immediately run for the safety of the ‘gender card’.

***** them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

What's at stake in most significant USMNT-Mexico match in years? Genuine optimism

https://sports.yahoo.com/genuine-optimism-at-stake-in-most-significant-usmnt-mexico-match-in-years-180621553.html

U.S. MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM SEEKS SEVENTH GOLD CUP TITLE ON JULY 7 AGAINST MEXICO IN SOLD OUT SOLDIER FIELD IN CHICAGO

Kickoff From Soldier Field is Set for 9 p.m. ET on FS1, Univision, UDN
and the Futbol de Primera Radio Networks

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/07/gold-cup-2019-usa-vs-mexico-preview-schedule-tv-channels-start-time-bracket

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Thats  a lot of athletes, cant see myself rooting against the American team.

Same here. They got a little rowdy in their first game against Thailand. A lot of people didn’t like them celebrating up 10-0. Out came the pedestals and a small minority wanted them to lose from then on out.  

• Like (+1) 1

Congrats to the US as they are by far the best team (and my daughters are thrilled), BUT....this game is yet another example of why reply is the worst thing in sports and foreshadows why the new PI rule in the NFL will be a disaster.

An exciting game (US dominating but can't solve the goalie) is ruined because the ref decides, after looking at reply, to essentially award the US a goal and end all the tension in the game.  Was reply used to "fix an egregious error" which is supposed to be the rationale for reply?  No.  Instead they use it to change their mind on a questionable foul, just like they do in every other sport.

Can't wait till the first time the Bills D is holding off a great QB and in the 4th quarter get called for a questionable PI in the endzone after a reply review.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Congrats to the US as they are by far the best team (and my daughters are thrilled), BUT....this game is yet another example of why reply is the worst thing in sports and foreshadows why the new PI rule in the NFL will be a disaster.

An exciting game (US dominating but can't solve the goalie) is ruined because the ref decides, after looking at reply, to essentially award the US a goal and end all the tension in the game.  Was reply used to "fix an egregious error" which is supposed to be the rationale for reply?  No.  Instead they use it to change their mind on a questionable foul, just like they do in every other sport.

Can't wait till the first time the Bills D is holding off a great QB and in the 4th quarter get called for a questionable PI in the endzone after a reply review.

Or the opposite would happen without the rule, Josh Allen would throw a TD pass only to be screwed by a PI that was never called b.c the rule isn't there.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:31 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Havent watched a lick of this, so whats with all the hate for the Americans??

some had their feelings were hurt when a few girls from the team refused donnie boys invite to the white house. so they must figure it's unamerican to avoid someone they despise seated in the white house. 

poor fellas

oh and, congrats to the AMERICAN women!!

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

some had their feelings were hurt when a few girls from the team refused donnie boys invite to the white house. so they must figure it's unamerican to avoid someone they despise seated in the white house. 

poor fellas

oh and, congrats to the AMERICAN women!!

Not true...it started with the celebrating and grandstanding when they were up on Thailand. The back and forth between Rapinoe and Trump came after that.

21 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

An exciting game (US dominating but can't solve the goalie) is ruined because the ref decides, after looking at reply, to essentially award the US a goal and end all the tension in the game.  Was reply used to "fix an egregious error" which is supposed to be the rationale for reply?  NoYES 

You obviously don't watch a lot of soccer. She missed the ball studs up contact in the box. Very easy replAy decision, and that's why the ref made the call so fast. From her view at the center of the field, she couldn't see the contact. Replay showed the foul perfectly.

The US couldn't make a ton of space in the Dutch defense in the first half but the second half showed they had no more gas, as happens with so many teams the US plays. Kreiger was an unfortunate waste of a sub but it didn't matter--US could have scored 4-5 goals in the second. 

Good day for America: Warm day for Snowflake in Winslow. 

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not true...it started with the celebrating and grandstanding when they were up on Thailand. The back and forth between Rapinoe and Trump came after that.

Like every soccer team in history doesn’t grandstand and celebrate after scoring? Are they supposed to apologize for winning a lopsided game? Would France, UK, or Netherlands apologize if they had drawn Thailand as an opponent and trounced them? 

As for running up the score on an inferior team, two things: goal differential matters in this tourney, especially in the preliminary rounds, and maybe the opponent should do a better job of stopping the other team from scoring. 

11 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Our president was in a tweet-battle war with a women's soccer player. 

Let that sink in, and then get back to me on whose job it is to set a better example. The athlete? Or the leader of the free world?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Like every soccer team in history doesn’t grandstand and celebrate after scoring? Are they supposed to apologize for winning a lopsided game? Would France, UK, or Netherlands apologize if they had drawn Thailand as an opponent and trounced them? 

As for running up the score on an inferior team, two things: goal differential matters in this tourney, especially in the preliminary rounds, and maybe the opponent should do a better job of stopping the other team from scoring. 

This was all discussed around page 2 or 3 of this thread. I'm not going to rehash the same subject. They just won the world cup. Good for them. Let's enjoy it.

• Like (+1) 3