Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is a team that when it plays a conservative and responsible defensive game can compete with everyone. That is not to say that they are better or will win. And it is clear that this isn't a playoff team. This game that I watched yesterday (switching back and forth from the Wizard's NBA game) demonstrated how under Krueger this is a much more determined and resilient team. The Sabres were playing on a back to back and they traveled to a team that was rested. I thought that overall we were the more energetic team. 

As was witnessed in the Detroit game the Sabres are capable of losing to one of the worst teams in the league when they play a loose defensive game. And what was shown in the Ranger game when we get good goaltending and play a tighter brand of hockey we can play with the better teams. 

I don't see any major trade deals being made during the season that will change the dynamic/reality/limitations of this roster. It wouldn't surprise me if a more significant deal or two will be made in the offseason when these type of deals are usually made.

A couple of observations in this game: I thought that Hutton played well. Vesey seems to be playing better. And Miller shooting more adds to our limited offensive play. 

To the snickering and panicking crowd here I will continue to say what I have been saying: For the most part stay the course. Don't be afraid to make deals but don't act out of desperation. This offseason we will have plenty of cap space to re-sign Reinhart to a well deserved lucrative deal and still have cap space to add some beneficial pieces. 

The below WGR link is Krueger's post game comments. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-7-ralph-krueger-post-game

You make Norman Vincent Peale look like a miserable pessimist by comparison, John. 

Regarding the addition of those beneficial pieces, the problem is we have a GM who has shown little ability in being able to identify them over the three years that he’s been here, especially forwards. That’s concerning on a team that has struggled scoring goals during the drought. 

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

. This game that I watched yesterday (switching back and forth from the Wizard's NBA game)

aghh..now i get your takes! the two most dysfunctional, lost  teams in all of sports ! And you watching both on the same night!!!!!?

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You make Norman Vincent Peale look like a miserable pessimist by comparison, John. 

Regarding the addition of those beneficial pieces, the problem is we have a GM who has shown little ability in being able to identify them over the three years that he’s been here, especially forwards. That’s concerning on a team that has struggled scoring goals during the drought. 

You mean you don't think Vesey, Sheary, Mittlestadt, Johanssen, Thompson, Berglund, et al, cut the mustard.  Are you disagreeing that the Rangers are one of the best teams in the league?  And are you ignoring this team's valuable World Juniors playoff experience?

• Haha (+1) 1

Nice win last night. Rangers made it interesting at the end, but the Sabres hung on. I’ll take any win they can get at this point. Anything to help them build up their confidence and stop this thing from going completely off the rails. They did look like they had more confidence + jump on the road tonight, which isn’t really surprising with all the negative fan backlash right now. They played a simple, structured game. That’s what they need to do at home, too.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Nice win last night. Rangers made it interesting at the end, but the Sabres hung on. I’ll take any win they can get at this point. Anything to help them build up their confidence and stop this thing from going completely off the rails. They did look like they had more confidence + jump on the road tonight, which isn’t really surprising with all the negative fan backlash right now. They played a simple, structured game. That’s what they need to do at home, too.

I hear ya, but if it’s negative fan backlash that motivates them to play well, then we are far more worse off than I thought. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I hear ya, but if it’s negative fan backlash that motivates them to play well, then we are far more worse off than I thought. 

I guess I didn’t word that very well. I just meant that they seemed more relaxed and confident away from KeyBank arena (at least last night), and that it doesn’t surprise me that they’re more confident on the road than they are at home right now (with all the booing and “fire botterill” chants and even protests in the plaza at their home arena).

I didn’t mean that they are motivated by negative backlash, but that it’s having a negative affect on them when they play at home. Maybe they’re cheating/pushing too much to score for the fans like Krueger said after the game. Or maybe they just get in their own heads too much at home due to the quiet atmosphere at games and all of the booing. I can see where it would be easier for them at the moment to play on the road.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I guess I didn’t word that very well. I just meant that they seemed more relaxed and confident away from KeyBank arena (at least last night), and that it doesn’t surprise me that they’re more confident on the road than they are at home right now (with all the booing and “fire botterill” chants and even protests in the plaza at their home arena).

I didn’t mean that they are motivated by negative backlash, but that it’s having a negative affect on them when they play at home. Maybe they’re cheating/pushing too much to score for the fans like Krueger said after the game. Or maybe they just get in their own heads too much at home due to the quiet atmosphere at games and all of the booing. I can see where it would be easier for them at the moment to play on the road.

Blame the fans.  

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I didn’t mean to imply that’s what you meant in your post; it was just something that occurred to me while I read it. 

Regarding the pressure of playing at home in front of disgruntled fans, I suspect there are some players, like Lehner before them, who absolutely resent the fans for booing them. Those ungrateful pricks can’t get off my team fast enough.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Blame the fans.  

I didn’t blame the fans. I just said that I can see why it would be easier to play on the road right now. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I didn’t mean to imply that’s what you meant in your post; it was just something that occurred to me while I read it. 

Regarding the pressure of playing at home in front of disgruntled fans, I suspect there are some players, like Lehner before them, who absolutely resent the fans for booing them. Those ungrateful pricks can’t get off my team fast enough.

Yeah that wouldn’t surprise me. This team needs massive changes. There are too many mentally fragile players that just give up and start hanging their heads at any sign of adversity. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

This is a team that when it plays a conservative and responsible defensive game can compete with everyone. That is not to say that they are better or will win. And it is clear that this isn't a playoff team. This game that I watched yesterday (switching back and forth from the Wizard's NBA game) demonstrated how under Krueger this is a much more determined and resilient team. The Sabres were playing on a back to back and they traveled to a team that was rested. I thought that overall we were the more energetic team. 

As was witnessed in the Detroit game the Sabres are capable of losing to one of the worst teams in the league when they play a loose defensive game. And what was shown in the Ranger game when we get good goaltending and play a tighter brand of hockey we can play with the better teams. 

I don't see any major trade deals being made during the season that will change the dynamic/reality/limitations of this roster. It wouldn't surprise me if a more significant deal or two will be made in the offseason when these type of deals are usually made.

A couple of observations in this game: I thought that Hutton played well. Vesey seems to be playing better. And Miller shooting more adds to our limited offensive play. 

To the snickering and panicking crowd here I will continue to say what I have been saying: For the most part stay the course. Don't be afraid to make deals but don't act out of desperation. This offseason we will have plenty of cap space to re-sign Reinhart to a well deserved lucrative deal and still have cap space to add some beneficial pieces. 

The below WGR link is Krueger's post game comments. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-7-ralph-krueger-post-game

Don't draw too many conclusions from last night's game.

The caliber of play in the NHL can be very up and down from game to game.  Look at the last 2 Sabres games as evidence of that.

Last night the NYR came out flat, stayed that way most of the game, and clearly took us lightly.  They're another bad team next to the Sabres in the standings to boot.

Do not gauge the Sabres based on an off-night by a middling opponent.

Gauge our progress by playoff teams playing strong games on a good night.  That's what every night in the playoffs looks like, and the NYRs aren't going to be a part of that this year.

We have so many levels to get to, just to be a solid playoff competing team.  Never mind a Cup contender or a perennial favorite.

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Many of the pieces he brought in such as Vesey, Miller and Sheary were third line caliber of players. The GM was well aware of their talent level. He made deals to improve the roster, even if it they were incremental improvements although dealing for Joki was a gem of a deal. In order to get a first or more likely a second line caliber of player he is going to have to deal a player such as Risto. If he can't get an equal value deal then I'm not going to criticize him for not executing a deal for the sake of making a deal. 

I have said for a  long time that there was not going to be a quick fix. Most people will agree that this roster is not a complete roster. But that doesn't mean that the roster hasn't been upgraded under this GM's tenure. We have a young and talented defensive corps that includes some depth. That certainly is an upgrade from the Shaller era not too long ago. We also have an authentic first line when Olofsson comes back. What this team desperately needs is a couple of genuine second-line players to put Skinner in a better position to succeed. 

What I find encouraging is this organization has a HC in Krueger who has been involved in more challenging projects. Under him this team has more structure and the players are held more accountable than under the previous coaching staffs. Needless to say that I'm more optimistic about the near team future than most others who reside here. To the snickering crowd I will continue to say: Stay the course!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Don't draw too many conclusions from last night's game.

The caliber of play in the NHL can be very up and down from game to game.  Look at the last 2 Sabres games as evidence of that.

Last night the NYR came out flat, stayed that way most of the game, and clearly took us lightly.  They're another bad team next to the Sabres in the standings to boot.

Do not gauge the Sabres based on an off-night by a middling opponent.

Gauge our progress by playoff teams playing strong games on a good night.  That's what every night in the playoffs looks like, and the NYRs aren't going to be a part of that this year.

We have so many levels to get to, just to be a solid playoff competing team.  Never mind a Cup contender or a perennial favorite.

The Sabres have played good teams, including on the road, and performed well. The Dallas game victory on the road was an example of that. On the same road trip we played well against Nashville although we lost. We have even played top shelf teams such as Boston and went toe to toe with them on the road. It was a loss but our performance against a good team playing well indicated that our roster has some talent to build on.

The Sabres are not a playoff caliber team. Anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves. But that is not to say that this team's future prospects are hopeless. I'm more hopeful than most that with a little more patience this team will steadily improve and be more competitive.   

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Many of the pieces he brought in such as Vesey, Miller and Sheary were third line caliber of players. The GM was well aware of their talent level. He made deals to improve the roster, even if it they were incremental improvements although dealing for Joki was a gem of a deal. In order to get a first or more likely a second line caliber of player he is going to have to deal a player such as Risto. If he can't get an equal value deal then I'm not going to criticize him for not executing a deal for the sake of making a deal. 

I have said for a  long time that there was not going to be a quick fix. Most people will agree that this roster is not a complete roster. But that doesn't mean that the roster hasn't been upgraded under this GM's tenure. We have a young and talented defensive corps that includes some depth. That certainly is an upgrade from the Shaller era not too long ago. We also have an authentic first line when Olofsson comes back. What this team desperately needs is a couple of genuine second-line players to put Skinner in a better position to succeed. 

What I find encouraging is this organization has a HC in Krueger who has been involved in more challenging projects. Under him this team has more structure and the players are held more accountable than under the previous coaching staffs. Needless to say that I'm more optimistic about the near team future than most others who reside here. To the snickering crowd I will continue to say: Stay the course!

Right. They’re all interchangeable bottom six players. Aside from Skinner, whose mired in the worst slump of his career, Botterill has shown no propensity for bringing in players for the top six positions. None, NONE of the players hers brought in to fill those roles has panned out. In three years. You can’t blame me and others for being skeptical that he will suddenly do that this coming off season. I’ll certainly hope so, but his track record suggests otherwise.

Regarding that young and talented D corps. Look again. We don’t have a single shut down type in the lineup. Not one. Other than Risto, Dahlin, and Joker, the rest of the D men are all immediately expendable. Sure, they show flashes of offensive potential, but they all suck in their defensive end more often than not. As do most of our forwards for that matter. It’s just not a pretty or promising picture currently. 

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Jesus christ.  I can't believe I'm saying this but put Hutton in.

He was excused from the game today for family reasons. Andrew Hammond is the backup.

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

K, someone who knows... are they so tight to cap they have to manage daily?

I don’t know if that was the reason for the move, but they are totally capped out. I believe they are actually $3M over the cap and using LTIR space. 

Edit - just looking at capfriendly -

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

Yeah, they are using $3.6M in LTIR relief right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sucks to lose but I can deal with that loss. The start wasn’t pretty. Couple iffy goals. But the team rebounded nicely and never gave up. They really poured it on in the 3rd period. That was the best period of hockey they’ve played in a while. Dahlin had a heck of a game too!

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, bdutton said:

After that shaky start he didn't give up another goal and had some nice stops.

Yup.  Good to see.  Two pretty soft goals though and we couldn't overcome those mistakes.  A little unlucky in the third but a better team gets that tying goal.

14 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sucks to lose but I can deal with that loss. The start wasn’t pretty. Couple iffy goals. But the team rebounded nicely and never gave up. They really poured it on in the 3rd period. That was the best period of hockey they’ve played in a while. Dahlin had a heck of a game too!

I only saw the first period before going out. Two out of the three goals that I saw were in my judgment weak goals let in by the shaky tender. The difference between winning and losing in a parity league (except for the few elite teams) is miniscule. We simply don't have enough talent to overcome those crushing lapses. 

I realize that many people disagree (especially the snickering crowd) with my assessment but with a few more pieces and internal improvement this team is not far away from moving up the ranks. This offseason the GM is going to have a cap flexibility that some other teams won't have. There will be good players that they can't keep because of the cap squeeze. It's the offseason when those type of significant deals will be made.  

What I don't want to see us do is make a deal/s because the GM is feeling the pressure to do something for the sake of doing something. After the season we will be in a better posture when considering deals. What I am watching now is the effort and players staying with the system and being disciplined. While some wallow in their misery because of the current situation I'm hopeful that in the not too distant future the tide will turn in our favor. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/8/2020 at 2:43 PM, plenzmd1 said:

These are my thoughts exactly. I really want to know if this is Bots or Ralph. 

23 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

K, someone who knows... are they so tight to cap they have to manage daily?

These back to back posts are absolutely priceless.  Yeah, things suck right now, but people need to turn off the auto-complain setting.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

These back to back posts are absolutely priceless.  Yeah, things suck right now, but people need to turn off the auto-complain setting.

kinda weird though  right? 

Almost bet them yesterday as i was golfing, and they seem to win every game i do not watch

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

kinda weird though  right? 

Almost bet them yesterday as i was golfing, and they seem to win every game i do not watch

Roster manipulations like this happen throughout the year.  But now that we have twitter, people can overanalyze things that they never actually saw in the past.  With three guys on IR and then Hutton's family emergency mixed in, they more than likely have to play some games to keep below the maximum roster size.  The ELC guys are always the ones who wind up riding that shuttle, so Pilut's that guy.

But 24 hours later, he's back up and playing in the next game, all while getting one extra game for the Amerks.  Nothing crazy happened and it wasn't some display of inept management.  Sometimes people need to sit back and wait a few seconds before ranting about what ultimately is nothing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I only saw the first period before going out. Two out of the three goals that I saw were in my judgment weak goals let in by the shaky tender. The difference between winning and losing in a parity league (except for the few elite teams) is miniscule. We simply don't have enough talent to overcome those crushing lapses. 

I realize that many people disagree (especially the snickering crowd) with my assessment but with a few more pieces and internal improvement this team is not far away from moving up the ranks. This offseason the GM is going to have a cap flexibility that some other teams won't have. There will be good players that they can't keep because of the cap squeeze. It's the offseason when those type of significant deals will be made.  

What I don't want to see us do is make a deal/s because the GM is feeling the pressure to do something for the sake of doing something. After the season we will be in a better posture when considering deals. What I am watching now is the effort and players staying with the system and being disciplined. While some wallow in their misery because of the current situation I'm hopeful that in the not too distant future the tide will turn in our favor. 

Lol at "a few missing pieces".  If by " a few" you mean nine then we agree.

I also agree that the offseason is a better time to make transactions than just doing a deadline deal to do it.  With that said, I am skeptical about a magical avalanche of good players falling into our lap.  Most NHL teams are competently managed and able to adjust to multiple factors.  We are used to signing Connor Sheary and hoping but other teams aren't run like that.

You say that you're "hopeful" that "in the not too distant future" that the tide will turn.  How does the tide differ from the trajectory which I've been told is already upward?  Does the trajectory impact the tide sort of like the moon does?  In terms of time are we using a human scale or a geological scale?  The lack of specifics would be funny if it weren't actually superior to those the GM gives.  

Bots is a nice guy and I'll take no personal joy in watching him go, unlike Murray's departure.  But depart he must.  

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bots is a nice guy and I'll take no personal joy in watching him go, unlike Murray's departure.  But depart he must.  

Changing the GM/coach every 2-3 years is how the Bills went 17 years without a playoff berth.  Its not a recipe for success.  The Sabres need a more talented roster but they have some real building blocks in Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner etc. They need to add talent and depth.  Many of their youngish type players can become building blocks through internal improvement (Mittelstadt, Pilut, Olofsson etc.).  The team is very, very young and has a lot of room for growth.  I would certainly give Bots another year (at least) to see this through.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

Changing the GM/coach every 2-3 years is how the Bills went 17 years without a playoff berth.  Its not a recipe for success.  The Sabres need a more talented roster but they have some real building blocks in Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner etc. They need to add talent and depth.  Many of their youngish type players can become building blocks through internal improvement (Mittelstadt, Pilut, Olofsson etc.).  The team is very, very young and has a lot of room for growth.  I would certainly give Bots another year (at least) to see this through.

I agree entirely about needing better talent but, unfortunately, JBotts has shown little aptitude for making that happen in his three years here. I agree we need to have good drafts and build foundations for the future, but unless you get the first or second player pick in a draft, the overwhelming odds are that the player you get will take several seasons to contribute in any real meaningful way.

The Sabres have been screwing the pooch in player acquisition for years now which is a big reason why our prospect pool is so thin down on the farm compared to other teams. JBotts has yet to show he’s up to the task in re-stocking the farm system, let alone the Sabres. 

9 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

This you have made abundantly clear. Stay the course.

You missed the point of my previous point. What I said is that because our roster is full of players with expiring contracts the organization will be in a better situation to make a trade deal/s with teams that are in tight a cap situation. I would rather make a deal when it is more favorable to make a deal than do it sooner when it is a less favorable situation. If you disagree with that assessment then so be it. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You missed the point of my previous point. What I said is that because our roster is full of players with expiring contracts the organization will be in a better situation to make a trade deal/s with teams that are in tight a cap situation. I would rather make a deal when it is more favorable to make a deal than do it sooner when it is a less favorable situation. If you disagree with that assessment then so be it. 

Well run organizations aren't just going to let a ton of players walk without trying to re-work the guys they want to keep and let the Shearys of the world hit the market.  We also won't be the only team with cap money and any top FA will realize we need 4 top FAs or this won't be an attractive place at all.  We are not set up anywhere close to succeed in FA the way you describe.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just got back from the CBJ / TB game tonight. Man, it’s night and day watching two good teams play. Granted, we were on the glass so that probably skewed things a bit but my takeaway feeling was confirmed that we’re pretty far away. ??‍♂️

6 hours ago, bills_fan said:

I agree with the sentiment but I have zero confidence that this front office / coaching staff has what it takes to turn it around. Hope I’m wrong but just doesn’t feel like there’s anything to build upon. I say blow it up. 

8 hours ago, bills_fan said:

No, the Bills went 17 years without the playoffs cause they consistently made bad hires. You think the Bills would be better off right now with Rex or Marrone /Whaley combos ? Gailey/Nix? Jairo/Levy/Brandon? 

all Those combos sucked, the fans knew it way before something was done to address it. 

Name me two coaches in the last ten years of any sport who got hired to win( non tank teams) sucked for two years, and then went in to have a winning program? 

winning breeds continuity, not the other way around. 

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

No, the Bills went 17 years without the playoffs cause they consistently made bad hires. You think the Bills would be better off right now with Rex or Marrone /Whaley combos ? Gailey/Nix? Jairo/Levy/Brandon? 

all Those combos sucked, the fans knew it way before something was done to address it. 

Name me two coaches in the last ten years of any sport who got hired to win( non tank teams) sucked for two years, and then went in to have a winning program? 

winning breeds continuity, not the other way around. 

That train of thought is ridiculous.  

The Sabres are where they are.  It doesnt matter who is GM or Coach tomorrow.  There isn't some magical 3-5 year reset button that gets pressed on a rebuild when you make a change.  Just ask the Islanders or Hurricanes.  Any GM would also be highly motivated to win now with Eichel in his prime.  Those things can also be fleshed out in interviews.

None of the Bills GMs or Coaches during the drought amounted to anything and were able to gain equal employment elsewhere.  The best ones, you could argue, were the two coaches who quit.  Was it change's fault or the organization's fault?  Pretty easy choice says it was the organization.

What I do know is that 95% of Botterill's moves have been trash.  He has built a trash team and they have shown no progress (actually backward) in 3 years.  Publicly, he speaks like a loser.  "in a position to be in games', trying, learning, experiencing growth, been within 1 goal after 2 periods in x of y games, etc.  He has hemorrhaged picks almost as rapidly as Murray with nothing to show for it.  The pipeline is a tragic comedy.  He isn't going to magically produce a winner.  He is out of ideas, and organizationally, they are clinically dead.  Again, after a hot start, they are among the NHL's worst 2 or 3 teams.  The fact that they are at the cap with the 3rd highest payroll is sad.

I also think they need to get him out before its too late and he used more of that cap flexibility on trash.  

They are also soft and boring.  I hate them and cant waste time watching.  Its awful.  I wouldnt miss a game for like 35 years and I cant even justify the 2.5 hours.  I have season tickets and have been to 3 games this season, all theme nights, motivated to go out of nastalgia.  I am cancelling my season tickets of >20 years next week.  They havent had a meaningful or relevant game in like 9 years.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

Just to clarify it for the rest of us - whose train of thought is ridiculous?  Plenz or bills-fan?

ha, I thought that after posting it.   Not Plenz.

The train of thought that you cannot move on from failing management just because you previously moved on from failing management.  

• Like (+1) 3

BTW, I need to air a grievance since we're playing Detroit again.  I caught a portion of "Russian Five" a documentary they did about Red Wings cup run with the addition of the 5 Russians.  Their depiction of Fedorov's defection got me riled up, because they characterized it as a stunning move to get him from behind the Iron Curtain.   They also spent a lot of time talking about the "risk" Detroit took in selecting him in the mid-rounds in the '89 draft.   But nowhere in the doc did they acknowledge what happened leading up to the '90 draft, and the fact that Mogilny had already defected.   

The Red Wings made it sound like they were executing a major heist by being the first to take a risk on a Russian player in the draft, and then setting up his escape from the dangerous confines of PORTLAND, ORGEGON, well after Perestroika was under way!!!  

There wasn't a peep in the doc that maybe they were bold enough to make the move is because the path was already set.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1