Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Just saying...

Beat the Leafs and we are 6 points out of a playoff spot. Not dead yet.

Forget about the wild card. Focus on 3rd in the Atlantic. Only two teams to watch: Toronto and Montreal.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

You are so headstrong and blinded by your zealotry that you have no inkling what my position is on the Sabres, although I have stated it a thousand times. This is not a playoff team. And there is no turning point after this last win because there is no turning point. This roster has some glaring deficiencies that can't be overcome this year. That doesn't mean that this isn't an improved team from the prior lackluster years. I predicted prior to the season that this was an 88 point team. If the Sabres improve their point total by 10 from last year's 76 point total I will be satisfied that the team is moving in the right direction. But the meaningful evaluation isn't about the point total this year as it is how the team plays according to Krueger's system and philosophy. From that standpoint I am very encouraged about their near future prospects. 

What I have repeatedly told you and your snickering compadres is that when Botteril took over there was not going to be a quick fix to this team that needed a major reconstruction that also included an organization that was hollowed out. In my view this current GM has steadily addressed his challenging task without resorting to expedient quick fixes that in the end get you nowhere other than staying on the long road of mediocrity. You need to maintain your composure and trust the process. You may be too frantic to realize it but it is working.

Hopefully my response offers some clarity to some of your misguided perceptions that you seem unable to shake from. ? 

In what areas have they improved?  

What gives you optimism that the GM will be able to do anything of consequence this off season?

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

In what areas have they improved?  

What gives you optimism that the GM will be able to do anything of consequence this off season?

With Olofsson back in the lineup we have a legitimate high quality first line. Our defensive unit is not only a good unit it is a young unit that will get better. Dahlin, Joki, Montour and Risto are genuine top one or two pairing caliber defensemen. I also like Miller, and Pilot is ready to be a good piece to that unit. That is a solid unit.

What gives me optimism about this offseason? The GM has put this franchise in good cap shape with at least half a dozen expiring contracts to bring in additional talent to upgrade not only the roster but most importantly add to the second line. I also believe that Mitts and Tage are ready or near ready to be contributing players on the third line.

In addition, what I find most encouraging is that this team has a good coach in Krueger who has been involved in a rebuild project. I place a lot of confidence in him as a coach and a leader. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Some people were complaining about the excessive number of defensemen on the team. That issue with the departure of Bogo and Scandella is resolving itself. I wouldn't be surprised if either Risto or Montour is traded, most likely in the offseason, to add a second line forward/center.  We also have Miller playing well and Pilot ready to be a full time player. So even while the numbers get whittled down on that unit it is still a good unit.  

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With Olofsson back in the lineup we have a legitimate high quality first line. Our defensive unit is not only a good unit it is a young unit that will get better. Dahlin, Joki, Montour and Risto are genuine top one or two pairing caliber defensemen. I also like Miller, and Pilot is ready to be a good piece to that unit. That is a solid unit.

What gives me optimism about this offseason? The GM has put this franchise in good cap shape with at least half a dozen expiring contracts to bring in additional talent to upgrade not only the roster but most importantly add to the second line. I also believe that Mitts and Tage are ready or near ready to be contributing players on the third line.

In addition, what I find most encouraging is that this team has a good coach in Krueger who has been involved in a rebuild project. I place a lot of confidence in him as a coach and a leader. 

Never change, John, never change. Your unbridled optimism is always needed in an ever growing cynical world. 

Per the bold text, the only one I can see as a top pair D man is Dahlin, in time. Risto  is fully baked as a mid pairing talent,  Montour simply isn’t very good in his own end, and while I like Joki, I just don’t see a top 2 D man, even when he matures. Granted, our forwards need to do a much, much better job of support in the D end, but our D men just don’t strike fear in opponents as far as shutting them down. They’re just too easily outmanned below the end line and that’s how teams play us. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Never change, John, never change. Your unbridled optimism is always needed in an ever growing cynical world. 

Per the bold text, the only one I can see as a top pair D man is Dahlin, in time. Risto  is fully baked as a mid pairing talent,  Montour simply isn’t very good in his own end, and while I like Joki, I just don’t see a top 2 D man, even when he matures. Granted, our forwards need to do a much, much better job of support in the D end, but our D men just don’t strike fear in opponents as far as shutting them down. They’re just too easily outmanned below the end line and that’s how teams play us. 

I respectfully disagree with your rating of our defensemen. I agree with you that Dahlin is clearly a first pairing player. Risto is in my estimation a second pairing caliber of player. He just doesn't have the elite acumen to be a first pairing player. However, his physicality on a unit that lacks that attribute makes him an important player on that unit. I rate Montour higher than you do. Although I consider him a second, and not first pairing type of talent, because of his skating prowess he can complement and play with Dahlin who is in an elite (maybe not now) player. Joki right now is more of a third pairing player but because of how smartly he plays the position it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a second pairing caliber of player. Right now he may be our most efficient defenseman. I don't get hung up on the labels because it is not unusual for a second pairing caliber of player to play on the first or even third pairing because of chemistry and complementary considerations. If you add Miller and Pilut to the mix I see this grouping as being solid and emerging to be good. 

I am optimistic about this team's future. However, I don't consider it to be at the unrealistic and unbridled level.  Last year, you exasperatingly asked me when I thought this team would be good. I told you that it would be in another two to three years. I'm holding to that timetable and assessment. I am cautiously optimistic that next year will be our bump up year and the year after this team will be a more established team. Time will tell. 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/02/15/amid-virus-outbreak-concerns-about-a-hockey-stick-shortage/

Amid virus outbreak, concerns about a hockey stick shortage

Jack Eichel snapped his stick over the crossbar in frustration after an empty-net goal sealed a Buffalo Sabres loss, splintering it across the ice. He and other NHL players might want to think twice about sacrificing their sticks in a situation like that for now.

The coronavirus outbreak that began in China is affecting the production of hockey sticks used by the world’s top players, raising concerns about a potential shortage. Two major manufacturers, Bauer and CCM, have factories in China that have closed.

“We’ll see how long it lasts,” Eichel said. “Hopefully not too long. Obviously, I go through sticks pretty quickly.”

Eichel estimates he goes through 100 sticks a season, and he’s not alone. 

Just how many sticks are used each season in the NHL is not known, but it’s a lot. Boyer figures Red Wings players go through 70 to 120 each year, which would translate to about 1,600 for a full team – and more than 50,000 across the 31-team league.

Edited by BillsFan4

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just saying...

Beat the Leafs and we are 6 points out of a playoff spot. Not dead yet.

Forget about the wild card. Focus on 3rd in the Atlantic. Only two teams to watch: Toronto and Montreal.

A good goaltender would help a great deal.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

What gives me optimism about this offseason? The GM has put this franchise in good cap shape with at least half a dozen expiring contracts to bring in additional talent to upgrade not only the roster but most importantly add to the second line.

You may be right, but I’d want a different GM to fill those holes.

And get a goalie.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

What moves that the GM has made give you hope that he knows what he is doing?

55 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You’re not paying attention if you don’t know the immediate answer to this question. I know people want to crap on him, but this idea that people want to parrot about him making horrible trades is just plain lazy. Yeah, that one trade really hurt, but don’t paint every single one after that with the same brush. 

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

You’re not paying attention if you don’t know the immediate answer to this question. I know people want to crap on him, but this idea that people want to parrot about him making horrible trades is just plain lazy. Yeah, that one trade really hurt, but don’t paint every single one after that with the same brush. 

What moves has he made that give you hope?  He's been in position going on 3 years.  

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Trading Nylander for Joki. Trading for Montour for a reasonable price. Getting Miller at a reasonable price. Bringing on Krueger after Housley underperformed as a coach. Having nearly half of his roster on expiring contracts so in the next offseason he has more flexibility and be in an advantageous position to make deals. When he couldn't get a deal for Risto because the return wasn't good enough for him he kept him, and he ended up playing well. When Mittelstadt demonstrated that he wasn't ready after giving him the opportunity to play he sent him to Rochester. Hopefully, in the long run it will be the right move for the player and the team. He handled Olofsson smartly by keeping him in Rochester until the end of the season last year. And now he is a prolific goal scorer on the first line. 

Not every move worked out. But that is inevitable for all GMs when making personnel decisions. The ROR trade has proven to be damaging. But there is a backstory regarding his publicly expressed disgruntlement and upcoming bonus payments that drove the deal. Overall, I believe he has done a good job. 

2 hours ago, snafu said:

You may be right, but I’d want a different GM to fill those holes.

And get a goalie.

It's not what you or I want. The owner/s make the call regarding their staff. I strongly believe that the GM will be back next year. And in my humble opinion he has earned the right to continue running the operation. I prefer stability over instability. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Other than Skinner, I can’t think of any other trade that screams “winner.” 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Trading Nylander for Joki. Trading for Montour for a reasonable price. Getting Miller at a reasonable price. Bringing on Krueger after Housley underperformed as a coach. Having nearly half of his roster on expiring contracts so in the next offseason he has more flexibility and be in an advantageous position to make deals. When he couldn't get a deal for Risto because the return wasn't good enough for him he kept him, and he ended up playing well. When Mittelstadt demonstrated that he wasn't ready after giving him the opportunity to play he sent him to Rochester. Hopefully, in the long run it will be the right move for the player and the team. He handled Olofsson smartly by keeping him in Rochester until the end of the season last year. And now he is a prolific goal scorer on the first line. 

Not every move worked out. But that is inevitable for all GMs when making personnel decisions. The ROR trade has proven to be damaging. But there is a backstory regarding his publicly expressed disgruntlement and upcoming bonus payments that drove the deal. Overall, I believe he has done a good job. 

So, he gets credit for Krueger, who hasn't proven anything as of yet,  but no blame for Housley?

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Other than Skinner, I can’t think of any other trade that screams “winner.” 

I’ll be curious to see if Nylander heads back to Europe this summer. He hasn’t been able to escape from mediocrity this year. It might be time to go thrive over there for a few years before giving it another shot in the nhl. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I’ll be curious to see if Nylander heads back to Europe this summer. He hasn’t been able to escape from mediocrity this year. It might be time to go thrive over there for a few years before giving it another shot in the nhl. 

Actually, that’s two good trades then. Joker for Nylander has been a steal so far. Although Joker still has a ways to go before I can say he’s arrived. 

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

You do realize that the first "positive" you listed wrt our GM about a forward was that he took multiple years to realize that a guy who couldn't do a pull-up wasn't strong enough to play center in the NHL right?

This is the guy you trust to fill 5+ necessary forward spots because he has a few salary cap bucks?

8 hours ago, shrader said:

Most scouts would agree that he has the requisite skill level to be a NHL player. What is also evident after a number of years of playing is that he doesn't have the consistent intensity level that is required in this highly competitive league. The issue as I see it relates to his internal drive. It's simply not there in a sport that is very much an effort sport. There comes a point where you have to just trust your eyes. In my estimation he belongs in Europe with the bigger ice surfaces where a player can float and be reasonably successful. That approach to the game doesn't work in the more intense and combative NHL league. The Blackhawks were seduced by his skill level while Botterill realized that his skill level would never overcome his languid makeup. There certainly are moves that Botterill can be criticized for. This isn't one of them. 

Edited by JohnC

Wow. It seems like a sellers market at the moment. Dude is 28 and has a career high of 22 goals and 36 points. He’s on pace to break that this year (21g, 31pts), but still, that seems like quite a steep price for Coleman. 

They're getting Vancouver’s 1st round pick + Nolan Foote, Who Tampa Bay just drafted in the 1st round this past draft (2019). 

Im guessing Coleman being signed to a bargain deal that runs the next season played a part here. Tampa has some cap issues this summer.

I mean, tey basically got as much for Blake freaking Coleman (with 1 year left on his deal) as Botterill got for ROR (with 5yrs left on his deal). I think i’d actually prefer Vancouver’s 1st and Nolan Foote...

??‍♂️

A 2nd + a pretty good prospect for a 37yr old defenseman...

Tom Fitzgerald is making some nice trades as NJ interim GM. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Some observations about this game: I thought Hutton played exceptionally well and deserved the first star. This was one of the best collective defensive games that the Sabres have played all season. The forwards were swarming the Leafs and helping support the defensemen all game long. For the most part the Sabres were adept at getting the puck out of their defensive zones. However, because the Leafs are so offensively talented when we weren't always able to cleanly get the puck out of the zone Hutton would bail us out. 

One play that stuck out for me not involving Hutton was Risto's nifty pass close in to the goalie to Vesey for the tap in. From a defensive standpoint Risto is our anchor defenseman. I used to be receptive to him being trading Risto but now I am less so. He's our workhorse defenseman. 

I like how Miller has been playing recently. He was a good pickup by the GM. Vesey is starting to play well especially around the net. 

When the Sabres get secondary scoring they are a demonstrably better team. 

What makes me angry is now that the team has finished its long homestead with a flourish it wasted a golden opportunity when it allowed some games against lesser opponents to get away in the beginning of the homestand. 

This link is Krueger's post game comments on WGR after the game. There are additional player responses on this WGR page. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-16-ralph-krueger-post-game

Edited by JohnC

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

5-2 Buffalo!!

3 goals in 1:31!

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

They're playing well.

In a nutshell, this is the problem with this team over the past 10 years.

They have the talent to play like this every night, but they do not play like this this every night.

Whether it is the coaching, or the lack of internal drive by the players, or a combination of these I don't know.

5 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

They have the talent to play like this every night, but they do not play like this this every night.

Whether it is the coaching, or the lack of internal drive by the players, or a combination of these I don't know.

They aren't talented enough to play like this every game. Guys like Sheary' Vesey, and Okposo contributed well to tonight's win.  Okposo had talent to contribute on a regular basis but that is gone. Sheary and Vesey, although viewed as part of a solution by the clueless GM, simply are not viable players for a winning NHL team.  The treadmill will continue until Bots is bye bye.  We can't rely on the draft lottery every year.  Eichel will be 90 years old.

It was a fun game to watch last night and some lesser players upped their game a bit.  The truth is though, that the roster of forwards needs to be drastically revamped by someone who knows what he is doing.

• Like (+1) 1

I get 10 games a year and am allowed to pick pretty much whatever games I want. 

I tend to pick pre '70's teams. Canadiens usually are there in good numbers, making the atmosphere much better imo. Lots of season ticket holders sell these games so there's many vocal fans for the opposing team around me. I sit 1st row, end of face off circle where the Sabres shoot twice. I went last night.

Those 3 goals sucked the energy out of them. That was a fun game to say the least.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

When evaluating this team don't include them in a 10 year evaluation. Two years ago when another rebuild started this team earned 62 points. Last year, this team earned 76 points. This year this team should earn around 88 points. So despite the unceasing lamentations of despair by the complaining chorus the trajectory is upward for this team. If you watch this team on a regular basis it is obvious that this is not a complete team. But that doesn't mean that it isn't moving in the right direction. This next offseason the team has a lot of cap room and should be in a position to add more pieces and become a better team. 

Dallas is a genuine Cup contender; the Sabres are not. But if this organization is wise enough to stay the course this team will be a serious team in the not too distant future. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:37 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Haven't had a chance to listen yet but I bet it will be a pretty good interview.

eichel interview starts just past 56 mins in.

Ok, finally just finished listening to this interview. The Eichel interview starts about 56-57 minutes in and runs for at least 45 minutes.

Right around the 1 hour mark he talks about how amazing Ralph Krueger has been for this team (and himself). He LOVES Krueger. Basically says (implies) that coaching this season is night and day from previous seasons. 

It is is well worth listening to. The entire interview is great. 

This team is the same as last year, but with Eichel on a 50-100 pace and the Skinner production transposed to Olafsson.  That is the improvement.

Let's see them play inspiring hockey the last 23 games here and I will listen to the reasons why we should be excited moving forward with Botterill steering the ship.  

Did anybody actually  go to the Leafs game?  I am curious how the Leaf fans reacted.  No beer cans on the ice?  I watched the Canadian feed without sound.  I was in a “tavern”.  They showed the run to the exits.  Nice!

Nice team effort by the Sabres!

Bonjour / Bye... Gordie...