Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Just wanted to thank you guys who keep this thread going for those who don't have the time to keep up... it really helps us keep up! 

I was a kid in WNY when we finally got the Sabres... maybe we're on to something here for a change.

Just want a Cup or a SB before I head on out... again, thanks for the reads. Have watched the games so far and will be watching tonight. Go Sabres!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yup.  Coaching means more in the NHL than in any other professional sport.  The Sabres have talent.

Why do you think that?  Until this week, I always thought it was the opposite.  These guys in the NHL are so quick to be fired, etc.  

6 minutes ago, bbb said:

Why do you think that?  Until this week, I always thought it was the opposite.  These guys in the NHL are so quick to be fired, etc.  

If you lose the room in the NHL, you never get it back.

St Louis the last couple of seasons is a great study in what not to do.  Don't have a lame duck head coach (Hitchcock).  Don't have his successor named and already on the staff (Yeo).

They righted the ship by hiring the Chief, who came in and played to the strengths of the team.  He also wasn't afraid to stick with Binnington when he started off hot, even though he wasn't a highly touted prospect or highly paid veteran.  He earned the right to be the number 1 because of his play and that accountability stabilized the team.

1 hour ago, bbb said:

There are examples again and again of coaching moves that result in significant changes. 

58 minutes ago, Big C said:

Yikes. Let's see how the Sabres respond to this poor start.

Pretty well I’d say

Edited by eball

Much better 2nd period. I really like their response. 

Columbus was playing with their hair on fire in the 1st. They haven’t won a game yet this year and were fired up. Buffalo didn’t help the cause though. They were on their heels a lot, made a # of unforced errors and just looked sloppy. 

But they did s great job settling down and getting back to their game in the 2nd. They battled the adversity and got the game tied up. 

Anxious us to see how they close this out in the 3rd. I would imagine Columbus is going to try and make a push. Let’s see what team is hungrier for the win! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

Much better 2nd period. I really like their response. 

Columbus was playing with their hair on fire in the 1st. They haven’t won a game yet this year and were fired up. Buffalo didn’t help the cause though. They were on their heels a lot, made a # of unforced errors and just looked sloppy. 

But they did s great job settling down and getting back to their game in the 2nd. They battled the adversity and got the game tied up. 

Anxious us to see how they close this out in the 3rd. I would imagine Columbus is going to try and make a push. Let’s see what team is hungrier for the win! 

Bills seem to do fine on the road, lets hope its a carryover. Looking forward to the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But the L is on Capt. Jack, dicking around with the puck. 

Yeah... I was flipping back and forth with MNF so I didn't see the whole thing. Did watch overtime and was not happy with Eichel there. 

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

If you lose the room in the NHL, you never get it back.

St Louis the last couple of seasons is a great study in what not to do.  Don't have a lame duck head coach (Hitchcock).  Don't have his successor named and already on the staff (Yeo).

They righted the ship by hiring the Chief, who came in and played to the strengths of the team.  He also wasn't afraid to stick with Binnington when he started off hot, even though he wasn't a highly touted prospect or highly paid veteran.  He earned the right to be the number 1 because of his play and that accountability stabilized the team.

Interesting.  After tonight, it's time to get rid of  Krueger!  

In the first three games the one player who has surprised me and caught my attention is Jokiharju. I didn't realize how good he is. He's 20 yrs old yet plays with a veteran's poise. He is a good skater but what sets him apart is his passing and composure. He never seems rushed yet he is quick to move the puck up the ice. The GM did well trading Nylander for him. I hope Nylander does well in Chicago but in the exchange the Sabres come out on the plus side.

The addition of Colin Miller also was a good pickup by the GM. When Montour returns this very solid unit will even get better. Will Miller continue to be paired with Dahlin or will Montour be part of the top pairing? I don't know but there is good depth and plenty of options in putting together the pairings.  

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

In addition to your adroit comment the second PP unit isn't bad. And when Montour gets back, and with the addition of Miller, strong and accurate shots from the defensemen make our PP one of the better PP units in the league. 

I'll be curious to see what they do with Montour when he is back. They're obviously not touching the blue line of that first PP unit.  Maybe they swap out Olofsson for a defender in a late game spot where they want to avoid any shorthanded breaks.  After that, you've got a pretty solid combo on unit 2 with Risto-Miller.  No obvious choices stand out to me, especially while Olofsson is producing.

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Rayzor is really going after Torts tonight.  Its been pretty amusing.

I'm already looking forward to any comment he makes right after they show that horrible graphic for the Instigators.  That thing could not be any more awkward.

11 hours ago, bdutton said:

Eichel did not look good... responsible for multiple turnovers.

He looked gassed on that last shift on the PP.  I'm not sure I would have thrown him back out there after one quick shift off.  They've got enough talent for those 3-on-3 situations that I don't think it would hurt to throw a different center out there with Olofsson, whether it's Johansson (who has been fun to watch so far) or MIttelstadt.

As for the game itself.  This is the first real test for this team.  In the past, they seemed to give up pretty quickly if they fell behind early.  That didn't happen last night and that's an obvious plus.  I hate to say that I need to see more of that, since that involves giving up early goals, but I do want to see a solid bounce back like this more often.  And now after the loss (gotta love taking a point in a game where they're badly outplayed), I want to see how they bounce back.  That was much like the early deficits in recent years, they were very slow to recover and things snowballed from there.  They're going to lose games, but the strong teams avoid those losing streaks.