Penalties are becoming a problem again

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

My first thought as well so I wanted to take a deeper look.

Here is what I found.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/buffalo-bills?year=2018&view=position

Totals 116 992 52 64 13 8
Offensive Line 38 295 18 20 7 1
Defensive Back 19 278 7 12 3 2
Defensive Line 13 80 5 8 1 2
Tight End 11 89 4 7 0 0
Unknown/Unset 11 46 4 7 0 0
Wide Receiver 10 93 4 6 2 1
Linebacker 8 61 4 4 0 1
Quarterback 3 25 3 0 0 0
Runningback 3 25 3 0 0 1

I took the "Unknown" and split them between offense and defense and that give 70/116 penalties on the offense (38) on the offensive line alone.  Dawkins had the most per player at 11.

EDIT:

Here is the breakdown for the "unknown/Unnamed" players.

Unnamed   11 0.688 46 2.875 0 0 8 Illegal Formation (4), Defensive Too Many Men on Field (3), Delay of Game (3), Illegal Shift (1)

So of those penalties it looks like the breakdown is 8 on offense and 3 on defense which makes the total 73/116 on offense.  Although those penalties could be on ST so it might be better to leave them out other than the 3 listed as defense. 

You could just change “unnamed” to Jerry Hughes.

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve been screaming this since January. Culture/Process/Leadership/Discipline are hammered and repeated every day by Sean. Yet we’re the antithesis of this on the field. Penalties gave away a couple games last year and put a serious dent in Josh Allen’s season stats. It wasn’t even that we weren’t good or talented enough to overcome them. I don’t think any team could. The worst byproduct of this undisciplined play is every referee team who has a Buffalo game coming next week is schooled on how error-filled we are. They expect it likely to the point of spending extra time in the days leading up to the game practicing throwing their hanky. Fair or not, this is on coaching. Implement an escalating fine system. Bench a starter for a half. Have refs at every single practice. Change your ‘Process’ Sean. With more turnovers and fewer penalties, that half-talented team threatens the playoffs last year.

When you simply are not good enough talent wise like on the offensive line, that is when you commit the most penalties...you simply can't match up physically so you have to resort to doing other things and hope the ref misses it, or figure it's better to take a hold than allow a sack and/or fumble when the QB gets hit. In addition in the first half of the year there were a maddening number of illegal formation penalties--seemingly at least 2 a game that ended up mostly going away in the 2nd half of the year as the young guys finally got it through their head on what to do to ensure they were lined up properly.

I don't think this will be as big of an issue with the talent upgrade this year and another year in the same system for most offensive players.

People need to understand cause and effect a little better for the most part with this.

EDIT: posted this without even looking at the stats on the offensive line...then I saw the penalized unit was the offensive line...really it's common sense.

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, chris heff said:

You could just change “unnamed” to Jerry Hughes.

Imagine if we could change all of the missed penalties against Hughes to actual penalties?  Dude probably led the NFL in blatant penalties that were not called again.

• Like (+1) 1

Penalties hurt, but they hurt the most when your team can't overcome them by making plays.

I mean, the Chiefs lead the league in penalty flags against per game by a significant margin, but it didn't hurt them much because they can make plays.

Discipline is good, playmaking is better, but both is best.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lack of talent (2018 Bills)often leads to penalties. Especially on the O line, where guys hold when they are getting physically overwhelmed , or false start trying to get into their pass set a split second too fast. I’d expect better line play this year, and less of those types of penalties. I often hear folks say penalties are on the coaching, but ex players ( such as Steve Tasker) will say it’s on the players. I’d tend to agree with Tasker there. Players are out on the field, not the coach. 

I was going to say this.  We had OL guys who were desperate last year.  They were going to get beaten like rugs after the snap and they knew it.

If we improved the OL I think that will help a lot.  But @Chandler81 has it right, there is still a stunning lack of discipline for a team coached by a guy who makes that his watchword.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was going to say this.  We had OL guys who were desperate last year.  They were going to get beaten like rugs after the snap and they knew it.

If we improved the OL I think that will help a lot.  But @Chandler81 has it right, there is still a stunning lack of discipline for a team coached by a guy who makes that his watchword.

Even worse the coaching had no answers as to help them at all. Good coaching can at least make up a little bit for lack of talent, however I'm of the opinion our coaching actually made it worse.

The changing rules, replays and poor/inconsistent refereeing is the NFL's biggest buzzkill.

It's not the same/great game to watch it once was. It's been dragged out quite a bit. 

If it weren't for Fantasy Football, the viewership would likely be in big decline.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, H2o said:

If you look at the overall totals, we were penalized double the amount on the road than we were at home. The Jacksonville game also has to be taken into account because that was just a brawl. The Minnesota, Houston, Jacksonville, and first Miami game accounted for 50 of our total 116 penalties. That's almost half of the total in a quarter of the season. We were one Charles Clay drop and a Josh Allen injury away from being 4-0 in those games as Nate "Petermanned" the game in Houston. With that being said I agree with Gunner's take as well. 

Great info. It would be interesting to see if those were the same ref units at those four  games. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

This right here is part of the problem!  Everything is a joke around here.  Always trying to have fun.  Be serious for once! Until we get serious, Pena lites will be our downfall

So let me get this straight … if I don't joke around on this board, it will affect the quality of play by the team? 

I hereby swear to never EVER post a light hearted post again ….. SUPERBOWL baby!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure with the added talent and off season of work chances are good it may not be an issue, again.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

This right here is part of the problem!  Everything is a joke around here.  Always trying to have fun.  Be serious for once! Until we get serious, Pena lites will be our downfall

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, macaroni said:

So let me get this straight … if I don't joke around on this board, it will affect the quality of play by the team? 

I hereby swear to never EVER post a light hearted post again ….. SUPERBOWL baby!!!!!!

Not only will it affect the quality of play by the team, the refs will start taking us more seriously and call less penalties on us

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

The changing rules, replays and poor/inconsistent refereeing is the NFL's biggest buzzkill.

It's not the same/great game to watch it once was. It's been dragged out quite a bit. 

If it weren't for Fantasy Football, the viewership would likely be in big decline.

Seems like you are bootstrapping counselor 

I think McDermott is a great person.  But with these penalties and his challenge record, he has a ton of improvement to do.  Penalties and being bad at challenges has nothing to do with talent.  It needs to be much better.  He lost control of Hughes in the past and Phillips last year. 

I think penalties can be a symptom of other issues on a team.  Sometimes when a team plays a real aggressive style of defense, there can be some penalties because of chippiness, for instance.  In Buffalo's case, without doing any kind of statistical study, I think maybe the poor quality of the offensive line may have had something to do with some of the offensive penalties, particularly false starts and offensive holding.  There does need to be more emphasis on discipline on the field in any case.