Pro football focus draft grades

Steve O

The only thing more worthless than mock drafts are draft grades.  Nobody knows until a handful of years in.  If you get a difference maker plus two starters from any draft you’ve done well.  This draft has the markings of exactly that.  

• Like (+1) 3

I think draft grades make more sense than mocks. Of course, these early grades are not indicative of player success or failure. Way too soon for that. Rather, they are grading on whether the team got value for where the selection was made, if the pick made sense / was a fit for team needs and scheme. If you are looking at grades as predicting how good the players will be , that is impossible and a silly notion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure why the Jets are above average. Sure they maybe got the best player in the draft, or close to, but I discount that because he's not a great scheme fit for them. L. Williams played as a 3/4 DE next to Wilk and Richardson and it didn't go very well. The two Williams together would make more sense in a 4/3. They really needed an edge rusher. Have to think Allen would have been a better pick for them. 

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Not sure why the Jets are above average. Sure they maybe got the best player in the draft, or close to, but I discount that because he's not a great scheme fit for them. L. Williams played as a 3/4 DE next to Wilk and Richardson and it didn't go very well. The two Williams together would make more sense in a 4/3. They really needed an edge rusher. Have to think Allen would have been a better pick for them. 

You are right. PFF is just basing their grades on numbers. There is no context to their analysis. Their algorithm spits out a grade for a guy like Blake Cashman that is really high and that pushes the Jets total number. It's all weird algorithms and analystics. I hate it but it is interesting to look at. 

Btw I really like Cashman, but it's his athletic numbers that push the grade high. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

They got an EDGE in Jachai Polite.  

As usual, their Front 7 will be a monster. 

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Isn't Gregg running a 4-3 in New Jersey?

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They got an EDGE in Jachai Polite.  

As usual, their Front 7 will be a monster. 

You have a point - as long as he can max out on his potential. He was a monster last year and is maybe a first round talent but he had a lousy combine and dropped for a reason, including bad interviews. Hardly the same prospect as Allen. We will see what Gregg will be able to do with him. And keep him clear of Mr Dounut.

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We only get an above average??

They aren't ranked, so it's hard to say where we fell. 6 teams were graded "excellent" and we were part of a large group of "above average" drafts. They loved our first 2 picks and Vosean Joseph, but hated on Singletary. Time will tell.