RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

Here was Prisco's brief breakdown of the Bills' draft

Best pick: It's first-round pick Ed Oliver. He fills a major need and will be a star down player. He has a chance to be a lot like former NFL great John Randle.

Worst pick: I didn't love taking running back Devin Singletary in the third round. That might have been a bit high.

The skinny: Getting Oliver and tackle Cody Ford with their first two picks were good moves. I also like fourth-round tight end Dawson Knox. This is a team that general manager Brandon Beane has moving in the right direction.

12 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Here was Prisco's brief breakdown of the Bills' draft

Best pick: It's first-round pick Ed Oliver. He fills a major need and will be a star down player. He has a chance to be a lot like former NFL great John Randle.

Worst pick: I didn't love taking running back Devin Singletary in the third round. That might have been a bit high.

The skinny: Getting Oliver and tackle Cody Ford with their first two picks were good moves. I also like fourth-round tight end Dawson Knox. This is a team that general manager Brandon Beane has moving in the right direction.

The media has learned how to disarm Bills mafia without giving any actual props.

"The Bills are moving in the right direction"

Elliot Harrison said the same thing "Bills going in the right direction" on his post draft power rankings on NFL network tonight.........where he had the Bills ranked 24th..........basically 9th worst........so drafting 9th.......right where they finished last year.........despite adding 15 free agents and getting a thumbs up for their draft.:lol:

The truth......that most of the media doesn't think is worth saying because Bills info is not a ratings/click factor......... is that they'll believe it when they see it.:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Simple question to which there isn't really a correct answer....where do you think Singletary would have been drafted had the Bills not taken him at 74?  

Somewhere in the 3rd.  Perhaps to New England if they preferred him over Harris. 

12 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Did you like some other players over him at pick 74?  If so, who were you hoping for ideally?

I would’ve taken DE/TE/WR.  

I wouldn’t have minded doubling up at TE and taking Sternberger, then still trading up for Knox.  

I would’ve taken a RB later like Homer or Williams. 

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, and we don’t know if they have anything in the works between now and the season, but this RB, at that spot, is the last thing I would’ve done. 

He may very well be the next Shady McCoy - The tape is filthy, but I’m going to have to see him do it against NFL competition, because I’m not at all sold on his size, speed and level of competition. 

Edited by SCBills

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I would’ve taken DE/TE/WR.  

I wouldn’t have minded doubling up at TE and taking Sternberger, then still trading up for Knox.  

I would’ve taken a RB later like Homer or Williams. 

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, and we don’t know if they have anything in the works between now and the season, but this RB, at that spot, is the last thing I would’ve done. 

He may very well be the next Shady McCoy - The tape is filthy, but I’m going to have to see him do it against NFL competition, because I’m not at all sold on his size, speed and level of competition. 

I was hoping Winovich ….I like the Knox pick....but like you, I am hoping for the best with Singletary.   

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The media has learned how to disarm Bills mafia without giving any actual props.

"The Bills are moving in the right direction"

Elliot Harrison said the same thing "Bills going in the right direction" on his post draft power rankings on NFL network tonight.........where he had the Bills ranked 24th..........basically 9th worst........so drafting 9th.......right where they finished last year.........despite adding 15 free agents and getting a thumbs up for their draft.:lol:

The truth......that most of the media doesn't think is worth saying because Bills info is not a ratings/click factor......... is that they'll believe it when they see it.:thumbsup:

I agree.  The Bills are not "sexy" for them to talk about so they will wait until they can't ignore it.  But when that day comes (i.e., 5-1 or something like that) they'll ramble on about "how much better the league is when the Bills are relevant."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/29/2019 at 12:05 PM, Rocket94 said:

You are right, but lets not forget that these guys get a lot of hype. I believe that Ferguson may have some issues that concerned the Bills. Winovich should be the classic high intensity guy we see come through every year...he is really going to be hyped up if he does well with Patriots. We will probably hear what geniuses the Pats are. The Bills had to make a choice and they had to get it right. Someone mentioned earlier that McDermott has his own prototype for a DE...whoever that is...we will see.

Winovich is not just a high motor lunch pail guy, he is almost 260 lbs and was faster and quicker than 203 lb Singletary in the 40, 3 cone, and 20 yd shuttle. His 40 was 4th among EDGE prospects, 3 cone 3rd, and 20 yd shuttle 1st. He is an athlete with good technique and good production against high level competition. I will be surprised if he doesn't have a good career in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Winovich is not just a high motor lunch pail guy, he is almost 260 lbs and was faster and quicker than 203 lb Singletary in the 40, 3 cone, and 20 yd shuttle. His 40 was 4th among EDGE prospects, 3 cone 3rd, and 20 yd shuttle 1st. He is an athlete with good technique and good production against high level competition. I will be surprised if he doesn't have a good career in the NFL.

Oh I agree...I like him myself and I would have loved him here. The Bills are obviously looking somewhere else. I thought for sure the Bills would select him. NE will certainly know how to utilize him and yes, he should have a good career. However, I like Singletary. He plays must faster than combine scores...this has been discussed. One more thing about Winovich...I think the Bills are looking for a different prototype for DE.

Edited by Rocket94

37 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Oh I agree...I like him myself and I would have loved him here. The Bills are obviously looking somewhere else. I thought for sure the Bills would select him. NE will certainly know how to utilize him and yes, he should have a good career. However, I like Singletary. He plays must faster than combine scores...this has been discussed. One more thing about Winovich...I think the Bills are looking for a different prototype for DE.

My comment wasn't regarding the Bills choice of Singletary, just felt that Winovich is being a bit mischaracterized. 

It is interesting to me though that the Bills had Singletary as best player available there. I could not find a single big board on line that felt the same, although I am sure there must be some out there. 

Another guy the Bills passed on here that I think is gonna be good and will be a matchup nightmare is Hakeem Butler. You can't teach 6'5" 230lb and 4.48 speed. He had too many drops but excels at contested catches down the field and had more 20+ yd receptions than anyone in the draft. He also is an aggressive beast with the ball after the catch, regularly crumpling cbs.

I am definitely rooting for Singletary to succeed and I mostly loved the Bills draft. This was one spot where I questioned their board. Hoping that they were right and I was wrong.

I have heard that the Bills had an alternate choice besides Singletary at that spot. Who it was is anyone's guess...perhaps Winovich? As much as I like Winovich and even Zach Allen, the Bills may have been measuring the pick with a predetermined solution at DE later. We already know that they had some dialogue with Frank Clark, Ansah and Clowney. They obviously like what they have in Singletary and they want to see how he plays out. As far as Receivers are concerned, we tend to forget the emergence of Foster (which I believe is genuine) and the acquisition of John Brown. That is a potentially deadly combination for Josh Allen and an improved offensive line. As much as I love defense, the Bills had only so much to work with. 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am seeing a lot of on line chatter (by ppl that are not bills fans) that Singletary was their TOP running back in this draft......

As in...the best one

This is opposed to Winovich which was rated what......top 5?

Bills fans seem to be the most critical of the pick.  

Lots of analysts and “online scouts” think he’s a stud.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think if we hadn't signed Yeldon people would like the pick more. Before Yeldon we had two old running backs and I thought it was a big need that we would address in the middle rounds. When we signed Yeldon I thought they were going to leave the position alone, so I was surprised when we took Singletary. But we didn't have any kind of long term plan there so I understand it.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Funny, I was just about to post the same thing. Every analyst I’ve watched thinks it was a great selection. And no, Shady isn’t going anywhere. 

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Because it wasn’t the guy they wanted that was still available  so they are bitter

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1