RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

Oliver if playing at his combine size is good, if he plays below 280 which some said he did last season could be an issue. I don't think he'll get that low though and I expect him to be an offensive line wrecker for the next decade.

UH alumnus now living in NYC.  So pumped that you guys drafted Big Ed.  

Not sure why he was there at 9 but you guys got a steal.  Mark my words, he's a future Pro Bowler.  And he will be a fan favorite on and off the field.  Good character, hard worker.  

Any questions about his college career, I"m here.

Can't wait to attend my first game. Thanks and go Bills!  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I had seen a good bit of the player, and I loved that. I’m learning that he genuinely seems to have the right stuff as a person. The coat thing had me wondering, but the stuff we are seeing and hearing feels real. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I had seen a good bit of the player, and I loved that. I’m learning that he genuinely seems to have the right stuff as a person. The coat thing had me wondering, but the stuff we are seeing and hearing feels real. 

“Right stuff” indeed. I anticipate his name on the Wall in 15 years. (Part homer, Part player)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

“Right stuff” indeed. I anticipate his name on the Wall in 15 years. (Part homer, Part player)

Hopefully add a gold jacket and a few SB rings, but now I’m getting greedy!  ? 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Augie said:

Honestly, I was really disappointed when that happened.  Because he had been the model teammate and student throughout.  

Word was that he was already frustrated with Applewhite about how he was being used (which the entire fan base was too).   And part of what makes him a beast is that he NEVER takes a play off--it's just not in him.  He's emotional and overflowing with energy.  

I've interacted with him and his family and I can promise that that was the aberration.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BigEdFan said:

Honestly, I was really disappointed when that happened.  Because he had been the model teammate and student throughout.  

Word was that he was already frustrated with Applewhite about how he was being used (which the entire fan base was too).   And part of what makes him a beast is that he NEVER takes a play off--it's just not in him.  He's emotional and overflowing with energy.  

I've interacted with him and his family and I can promise that that was the aberration.  

You’re Ed or his agent, possibly mother, right?     ?

Just now, Augie said:

You’re Ed or his agent, possibly mother, right?     ?

I wish!!!  Then I'd be getting free tickets!

No, I'm a Coog that watched every single one of his games.  We're a G5 school so when the hometown 5 star committed to us (and his older brother, Marcus, was already with us) it was historic.  

I'm looking forward to tailgating with you guys.  I'm up here with my fiancé (NYU MBA candidate) so I'll be making the trip up there alone and hope for some hospitality.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, #34fan said:

I don't hate this pick, but I'm pumping my brakes... Week-in week-out, he'll be facing talented, experienced NFL O-linemen who aren't scared, or impressed by his college resume.

-A world apart from shoving overmatched conference USA (AAC) scrubs to the ground.

WOW, looking back at your recent posts... please get over yourself. My money is on you being a JETS troll

On 4/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, #34fan said:

I don't hate this pick, but I'm pumping my brakes... Week-in week-out, he'll be facing talented, experienced NFL O-linemen who aren't scared, or impressed by his college resume.

-A world apart from shoving overmatched conference USA (AAC) scrubs to the ground.

You obviously haven't seen his first game (true freshman) against Oklahoma and Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson or the Peach Bowl against Florida State . . .  before Applewhite took over ?

Not saying he won't have to adjust, he absolutely will, but his work ethic is ideal.  

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Similar in size to guys like Geno Atkins, Warren Sapp. Sapp played at around 6-2, 300...but he was fat. Oliver is jacked. So Oliver at 6-2, 287 is good with me. 

Sapp is the prototype in terms of talent as a three Tech, but he was a sloppy body. 

John Randle and Aaron Donald are pure comparisons.

KW is close

3 hours ago, BigEdFan said:

I wish!!!  Then I'd be getting free tickets!

No, I'm a Coog that watched every single one of his games.  We're a G5 school so when the hometown 5 star committed to us (and his older brother, Marcus, was already with us) it was historic.  

I'm looking forward to tailgating with you guys.  I'm up here with my fiancé (NYU MBA candidate) so I'll be making the trip up there alone and hope for some hospitality.

Just so you know NYC and Buffalo are worlds apart in distance and lifestyle.

You have an 8hr trip or so to go from NYC to Orchard Park my friend, but welcome to the Mafia!

6 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

John Randle and Aaron Donald are pure comparisons.

KW is close

Just so you know NYC and Buffalo are worlds apart in distance and lifestyle.

You have an 8hr trip or so to go from NYC to Orchard Park my friend, but welcome to the Mafia!

Yes, I have a lot to learn.  I'm hoping I can reach out to one of you vets and find out the best way to approach Sundays.  It's going to be an adventure but I'm looking forward to it.

As far as lifestyle, I'm from the great state of Texas.  Houston, TX. Which is much more similar to Buffalo than it is to NYC.  Ed grew up in Houston--and he's country to the core ?

1 hour ago, BigEdFan said:

Yes, I have a lot to learn.  I'm hoping I can reach out to one of you vets and find out the best way to approach Sundays.  It's going to be an adventure but I'm looking forward to it.

As far as lifestyle, I'm from the great state of Texas.  Houston, TX. Which is much more similar to Buffalo than it is to NYC.  Ed grew up in Houston--and he's country to the core ?

OK, if you see a table on fire......just walk away. I know, it’s like a car wreck on the side of the road, it’s hard not to look......but it’s better if we all just move on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BigEdFan said:

UH alumnus now living in NYC.  So pumped that you guys drafted Big Ed.  

Not sure why he was there at 9 but you guys got a steal.  Mark my words, he's a future Pro Bowler.  And he will be a fan favorite on and off the field.  Good character, hard worker.  

Any questions about his college career, I"m here.

Can't wait to attend my first game. Thanks and go Bills!  

Thank you for your reassuring words. Welcome to the family! GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:28 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

I have concerns, especially related to his ability to stop the run.

Hopefully his pass rush makes up for that.

Actually right now he is a better run defender than pass rusher. Yes you may be able to run right at him but other than a HB dive he is blowing everything thing else up I know that’s hard to believe but it’s true. He really right now doesn’t have any pass rushing moves. He gets penetration right now by beating Guards at the snap.  

Edited by Protocal69
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

What do they mean when they say "Ed Oliver is impossible to block on the back side"?

A run is outside to the opposite side of which he is on.  He is too quick for a guard to beat him and impossible to ask a tackle to do so.  No matter the run concept.  The guard and center are trying to get to the second level.  You either take a blocker away from the play design and allow for an extra unblocked defender in the hole or have a blocking concept that will be exploited because Oliver is too explosive and the block will be near impossible.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2