Is anyone else besides me suffering from Josh Allen Obsessive Disorder?

9 hours ago, dayman said:

I just want to obnoxiously remind people that most of the board did not like the pick and I was telling everyone he would be good.

I was kind of shocked too. He was constantly among the top 4 QBs mentioned that would go high by the "experts", so why piss on what was the Bills new player?  I liked him (OK, loved him) from the time he came up on stage. His demeanor, attitude, coachability, competitiveness... what's not to like since? I expected him to be a INT machine in his 1st year compared to super conservative Tyrod Taylor, and most certainly not that he'd outran him in rush yards in a mere 11 games! 5-6 as a starter with the supportive cast he had? Sounds good to me. And as so often mentioned, he sure passes the "eye test", including in leadership and "it" factor.

People have not mentioned it that much but I really liked the coaches let him threw a bomb in his very first NFL pre-season snap. It might have been incomplete and actually out of bound, he was still something to see. Because McD has been a defensive coach people suppose he is super conservative but I don't think he is (except for a few chicken punts), he's smart enough to go with works with the players he has.

Edited by Jerome007

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

People have not mentioned it that much but I really liked the coaches let him threw a bomb in his very first NFL pre-season snap. It might have been incomplete and actually out of bound, he was still something to see. Because McD has been a defensive coach people suppose he is super conservative but I don't think he is (except for a few chicken punts), he's smart enough to go with works with the players he has.

LOL. It was never entirely clear what the coaches were letting him do vs. what he just did ... but yes the single best thing about him (other than his running success) is that he let it rip--for better or worse. 

Great thread, @Peace Frog

I thought I could handle the prospect of having a potential franchise QB.  Staying calm and letting Josh develop-- taking the wait and see attitude.  However, this week I realized I am falling for Josh Allen in a big way.

Thursday night, I am on a plane from Dallas to Nashville.  A huge Cowboy fan sits next to me and I am on Fanspeak doing a Bills Mock Draft (taking a break from doing work of course).  The guy is familiar with Fanspeak and says, "you are a Bills guy, why aren't you drafting a QB?" 

I then stop my draft and say, "Did you see the games after he was injured?".  I force him to watch the 14-minute Josh Allen Highlight Package.  I convince him we have our QB....and then I realize, I am a Josh Allen defender and fan boy...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/10/2019 at 5:51 PM, TroutDog said:

I certainly agree that it worked out for them but the Bills were not in the same position. Nathan Peterman...great guy and turnover machine. 

Allen needed to be inserted and it paid dividends. As he has never has a QB coach, played against top tier talent, etc, last year worked out perfectly for him and us as fans. That includes the injury where he had the chance to process what happened and what will happen.  

In Wyoming he didn’t have a QB coach? 

On 4/10/2019 at 3:40 PM, Peace Frog said:

Check the list of warning signs to see if you too, may be afflicted:

1. Re-watching the same Josh Allen highlights on YouTube more than 5 times a piece

2. Checking any and all sports websites for the latest Josh Allen updates

3. Purchasing Josh Allen-related items such as his rookie card, his replica jerseys (home, away, AND the alternate red one), or a life-size wall decal of Josh Allen for your Man Cave or front window of your house

4. Either getting or already have gotten, a Josh Allen tattoo

5. Planning on drafting Josh Allen in your fantasy league with your first round pick, even if it's first overall

If you can think of any others, please list them below.

6. Starting new Josh Allen threads daily (that one's for you peace ?)

Just busting a joke on you man

This is gold, I enjoyed the thread, and I like the ones you're posting about him ?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/10/2019 at 11:15 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

In the category of overthinking things in what the Brits would call the silly season: Josh Allen's elbow.

There were several examples of "holy crap!" type throws from Allen BEFORE the elbow injury. The preseason absolute bullet into the end zone. A couple air-it-out-60-yards bombs, or roll left, zip the ball right passes. Can someone convince me that the same rocket arm was there AFTER the post-injury comeback? Any clips out there? I mean, nobody's mentioning any lingering effects, but like I said, I'm overthinking things ...

I saw no issues with his arm after the injury.  My guess is that what you perceive was Allen trying to take a bit off some of his throws.  During his time off he realized he didn't have to throw missiles every time.  For example:

*  The 75 yard TD pass to Foster against Jacksonville.  While he's being engulfed by 3 Jaguar D linemen he gets of a 45 yard throw.

*  Several throws against Miami including BOTH TD passes and that dart he threw from the end zone to convert a 3rd & long at the sideline.

*  Several throws against the Jets where he converted 3rd & long situations.  On just the 2nd play from scrimmage Allen connects on an 18 yard throw that was an absolute steamer of a throw. 

*  He also threw some darts against Detroit. 

And there were others.  Again I think the Allen you saw after the injury was putting a lot more touch on the ball then just trying to throw it threw a wall.  As an aside the reason his % completion didn't go up as a result was that he was also throwing the ball away a lot more post injury to avoid the sack.  The reduction in his sack numbers shows that. 

Since 1986 there have only been 3 other QB's who in the off season had me excited for the new season to roll around and they were Jim Kelly, Drew Bledsoe & Doug Flutie.  That's 33 years and only 3 guys.  So yea Allen has got me chomping at the bit for next season to get started. 

Sure he has a lot to improve on but with that being said in roughly 11 games this kid has produced more spectacular highlights, both running & throwing the football, then any other Bills QB not named Jim or Doug have in over 30 years.  A lot can still go wrong and as a Bills fan part of me dreads that Allen will implode and suck.  But the chances that we have a special talent at QB hasn't been this good since Kelly first walked out on the field. 

Bottom line is that I would rather be optimistic now only to have my hopes crushed later then be pessimistic during the off season and then have my hopes crushed.

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I saw no issues with his arm after the injury.  My guess is that what you perceive was Allen trying to take a bit off some of his throws.  During his time off he realized he didn't have to throw missiles every time.  For example:

*  The 75 yard TD pass to Foster against Jacksonville.  While he's being engulfed by 3 Jaguar D linemen he gets of a 45 yard throw.

*  Several throws against Miami including BOTH TD passes and that dart he threw from the end zone to convert a 3rd & long at the sideline.

*  Several throws against the Jets where he converted 3rd & long situations.  On just the 2nd play from scrimmage Allen connects on an 18 yard throw that was an absolute steamer of a throw. 

*  He also threw some darts against Detroit. 

And there were others.  Again I think the Allen you saw after the injury was putting a lot more touch on the ball then just trying to throw it threw a wall.  As an aside the reason his % completion didn't go up as a result was that he was also throwing the ball away a lot more post injury to avoid the sack.  The reduction in his sack numbers shows that. 

THANKS! I feel better now. Like I said, I'm prone to overthinking things in the long offseason ....

Oh, dear.  I think I've got JAOD pretty bad.  I was at work last night and while on my break, was watching video highlights of Josh playing...

from back in high school.               facepalm.gif

I've been a bills ever since  was 8 years old in 2000. I have seen nothing  but flaming garbage at the QB position. Yes, I've been excited about Bledsoe, losman, and Manuel before and thought they were the answer.

But this Josh Allen kid... he's different.. something tells me we will be watching him in prime time a lot. I won't say that he's going to win us a super bowl, but he might be the next Dan Marino, with legs.