QB Wonderlic Scores 2018

AtlBills

On 3/26/2019 at 9:59 AM, TheTruthHurts said:

Has nothing to do with making a decision within 3 seconds under pressure and accurately delivering a pass. 

All this says is Allen can retain a lot of information.

Wrong- that’s not what the test measures.  Not even close.  It does hurt, doesn’t it...

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

13 means you were able to write out the first 6 letters of the alphabet before your mind couldn't focus any more

So it’s merely flagging attention deficit ... ahh

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Wrong- that’s not what the test measures.  Not even close.  It does hurt, doesn’t it...

So it’s merely flagging attention deficit ... ahh

I mean you can say whatever you want, the test doesn't give any indication of how a QB will perform in the NFL. 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:59 PM, TheTruthHurts said:

Has nothing to do with making a decision within 3 seconds under pressure and accurately delivering a pass. 

All this says is Allen can retain a lot of information.

I wouldn't say that. Try a wonderlic practice test some time online. It's all about speed. That's why teams use it to help identify processing speed. Sure, it doesn't mean high scores = great qb, but it means they have the ability to process information quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The areas of intelligence they should measure is visual spatial skills and processing speed.  I don't know why they bother with overall IQ.

Sports science did that test and EJ Manual was one of the best. There's virtual reality that Trent Edwards helped develop. Only way to find out about a QB is live action. Even then, some QBs are great in live practice drills but fail in games. It's by far the hardest position in sports.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm no genius and I got a 36 on my first try. I can't for the life of me figure out how players can get less than a 20, especially when they have months to train for the draft and should have taken sample tests multiple times to improve their scores.

I mean, they just got out of college, right? They have to keep up grades to be able to play.

12 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I mean you can say whatever you want, the test doesn't give any indication of how a QB will perform in the NFL. 

Since 2000, it most certainly does. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm no genius and I got a 36 on my first try. I can't for the life of me figure out how players can get less than a 20, especially when they have months to train for the draft and should have taken sample tests multiple times to improve their scores.

I mean, they just got out of college, right? They have to keep up grades to be able to play.

Probably a little harder with millions on the line than sitting in your living room.  Also, big time players have so much more going on than the normal college student. 

There are people who could do well on a standardized test than would struggle to learn a nfl playbook.  

4 hours ago, MJS said:

They do not have a functional level of literacy, they cannot read and comprehend directions.  At least they don't boast of engineering degrees from their "schooling"...

4 hours ago, MJS said:

A  college degree doesn't make someone intelligent.  

Keep in mind that most of these football players get into college not on the merits of their grades or SAT/ACT scores, they get in on the merits of their football skills, hence the athletic scholarship.  Many struggle to maintain grades and anyone that's been to a school with a significant team of one sort or another knows that they pamper these kids academically and even provide an easy path of coursework thru their curriculums to grease the skids as it were.  

At my undergraduate institution students upon entering the class on the first day of classes, upon seeing a room full of players, realized that it wasn't going to be a difficult class.  Status quo.  

Granted, there are some bright athletes, particularly in other sports, but it's far from the norm.  As merely one case-in-point, look at what happens to many of these athletes after college that get drafted but bust, look at where many end up, on the streets, selling drugs, getting convicted of petty (or not so petty) crimes, etc.  Those are not signs of intelligence.  Just sayin'.  

12 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

A  college degree doesn't make someone intelligent.  

Keep in mind that most of these football players get into college not on the merits of their grades or SAT/ACT scores, they get in on the merits of their football skills, hence the athletic scholarship.  Many struggle to maintain grades and anyone that's been to a school with a significant team of one sort or another knows that they pamper these kids academically and even provide an easy path of coursework thru their curriculums to grease the skids as it were.  

At my undergraduate institution students upon entering the class on the first day of classes, upon seeing a room full of players, realized that it wasn't going to be a difficult class.  Status quo.  

Granted, there are some bright athletes, particularly in other sports, but it's far from the norm.  As merely one case-in-point, look at what happens to many of these athletes after college that get drafted but bust, look at where many end up, on the streets, selling drugs, getting convicted of petty (or not so petty) crimes, etc.  Those are not signs of intelligence.  Just sayin'.  

Athletes aren't any worse off on average than the rest of the student population for studies.

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Athletes aren't any worse off on average than the rest of the student population for studies.

Perhaps at certain schools,, the Stanfords, Harvards, etc.  I would argue otherwise and studies have produced results that disagree with that. 

What's your basis for stating that?    Did you read a study recently that demonstrated that?  

And BTW, re: sports other than Basketball and Football it may be different, but we're talking football here.  

This is dated, 11 years old;  https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/paper-trail/2008/12/30/athletes-show-huge-gaps-in-sat-scores

Did you run across something more current that refutes that these days?  

Here's an article that sums it up exactly.  No date so not sure when it was conducted.  

https://www.theclassroom.com/academics-college-athletes-vs-nonathletes-16678.html

Some key excerpts: 

Although athletes as a whole perform well in college, athletes in some sports consistently underperform their peers. Students in the most competitive and popular sports like basketball and football tend to earn lower grades than other athletes.

One explanation is that talented basketball and football players are held to looser admissions requirements than other athletes. Some top-tier athletes are allowed to enroll in college with poor high school grades and test scores, according to CNN.

This suggests that college athletics may bear little relationship to academic success. Instead, the best predictor may be a student's high school academic preparation.

The availability of tutoring for athletes and strong academic oversight by coaches may account for the difference.

Again, this is suggestive that football and basketball players are favored for admissions due to their athletic abilities.  

Secondly, it also suggests that it's the other sports, which added up feature far more students than b-ball and football, are the ones pulling up any averages or graduation rates.  

Edited by TaskersGhost

13 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

Perhaps at certain schools,, the Stanfords, Harvards, etc.  I would argue otherwise and studies have produced results that disagree with that. 

What's your basis for stating that?    Did you read a study recently that demonstrated that?  

And BTW, re: sports other than Basketball and Football it may be different, but we're talking football here.  

This is dated, 11 years old;  https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/paper-trail/2008/12/30/athletes-show-huge-gaps-in-sat-scores

Did you run across something more current that refutes that these days?  

Athletes get their degrees at the same rate and take as long as the average student, most students on campus are there just to dork around and party in in the first place.

You are going to invoke Harvard to talk about pro-football potential?  LOL...